* arm crypto .S_shipped files sometimes get rebuilt randomly
@ 2018-03-07 19:25 Leonard Crestez
From: Leonard Crestez @ 2018-03-07 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ard Biesheuvel, Masahiro Yamada, Herbert Xu
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

Hello,

I am using a toolchain with a broken/old version of perl which doesn't
include integer.pm and I noticed it triggers occasional build failures
on arch/arm64/crypto/sha512-core.S_shipped. Workarounds are easy, but
if the purpose of the .S_shipped is to avoid the need to have all
dependencies on the build machine then something went wrong?

This was introduced by commit 7918ecef073f ("crypto: arm64/sha2 -
integrate OpenSSL implementations of SHA256/SHA512"). The makefile
rules are not terribly complicated:

quiet_cmd_perlasm = PERLASM $@
      cmd_perlasm = $(PERL) $(<) void $(@)

$(src)/sha512-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
	$(call cmd,perlasm)

If a decision to rerun the rule is made based on their relative
timestamps but both .S_shipped and sha512-armv8.pl are included in git
then won't the result be essentially random, depending on file checkout
order?

I see random success/failure by just running something like the
following multiple times:
	rm -rf arch/arm64/crypto
	git co -f arch/arm64/crypto
	make -- arch/arm64/crypto/

A reasonable fix might be to simply drop .S_shipped and require a
functional recent version of perl. Then if it fails it will fail
reliably.

Leonard

* Re: arm crypto .S_shipped files sometimes get rebuilt randomly
@ 2018-03-08  5:00 ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2018-03-08  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonard Crestez
  Cc: Ard Biesheuvel, Herbert Xu, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

> Hello,
>
> I am using a toolchain with a broken/old version of perl which doesn't
> include integer.pm and I noticed it triggers occasional build failures
> on arch/arm64/crypto/sha512-core.S_shipped. Workarounds are easy, but
> if the purpose of the .S_shipped is to avoid the need to have all
> dependencies on the build machine then something went wrong?
>
> This was introduced by commit 7918ecef073f ("crypto: arm64/sha2 -
> integrate OpenSSL implementations of SHA256/SHA512"). The makefile
> rules are not terribly complicated:
>
> quiet_cmd_perlasm = PERLASM $@
>       cmd_perlasm = $(PERL) $(<) void $(@)
>
> $(src)/sha512-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
>         $(call cmd,perlasm)
>
> If a decision to rerun the rule is made based on their relative
> timestamps but both .S_shipped and sha512-armv8.pl are included in git
> then won't the result be essentially random, depending on file checkout
> order?
>
> I see random success/failure by just running something like the
> following multiple times:
>         rm -rf arch/arm64/crypto
>         git co -f arch/arm64/crypto
>         make -- arch/arm64/crypto/
>
> A reasonable fix might be to simply drop .S_shipped and require a
> functional recent version of perl. Then if it fails it will fail
> reliably.

Indeed, this Makefile is weird.
We have two choices.

[1] If we intend to generate
sha{256,512}-core.S from the perl script during the build,
this should be:

$(obj)/sha512-core.S: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
        $(call cmd,perlasm)

$(obj)/sha512-core.S: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
        $(call cmd,perlasm)

[2] If we want to check-in _shipped files
and avoid running perl during the build,
we can surround unnecessary rules with if-conditional, like

if REGENERATE_ARM64_SHA
$(src)/sha256-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
        $(call cmd,perlasm)

$(src)/sha512-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
        $(call cmd,perlasm)
endif

Set REGENERATE_ARM64_SHA=1 from the command line
only when you need to update the _shipped files.

This is what commit 7373f4f83c71d50f0aece6d94309ab7fde42180f did.

Recently, Kconfig switched to [1].
So, flex and bison are required to build the kernel.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* Re: arm crypto .S_shipped files sometimes get rebuilt randomly
@ 2018-03-08  7:02   ` Ard Biesheuvel
From: Ard Biesheuvel @ 2018-03-08  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masahiro Yamada
  Cc: Leonard Crestez, Herbert Xu, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

On 8 March 2018 at 05:00, Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@socionext.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using a toolchain with a broken/old version of perl which doesn't
>> include integer.pm and I noticed it triggers occasional build failures
>> on arch/arm64/crypto/sha512-core.S_shipped. Workarounds are easy, but
>> if the purpose of the .S_shipped is to avoid the need to have all
>> dependencies on the build machine then something went wrong?
>>
>> This was introduced by commit 7918ecef073f ("crypto: arm64/sha2 -
>> integrate OpenSSL implementations of SHA256/SHA512"). The makefile
>> rules are not terribly complicated:
>>
>> quiet_cmd_perlasm = PERLASM $@
>>       cmd_perlasm = $(PERL) $(<) void $(@)
>>
>> $(src)/sha512-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
>>         $(call cmd,perlasm)
>>
>> If a decision to rerun the rule is made based on their relative
>> timestamps but both .S_shipped and sha512-armv8.pl are included in git
>> then won't the result be essentially random, depending on file checkout
>> order?

I agree with your analysis, although  I never see these spurious
rebuilds of these files.

>> I see random success/failure by just running something like the
>> following multiple times:
>>         rm -rf arch/arm64/crypto
>>         git co -f arch/arm64/crypto
>>         make -- arch/arm64/crypto/
>>
>> A reasonable fix might be to simply drop .S_shipped and require a
>> functional recent version of perl. Then if it fails it will fail
>> reliably.
>>

> Indeed, this Makefile is weird.
> We have two choices.
>

> [1] If we intend to generate
> sha{256,512}-core.S from the perl script during the build,
> this should be:
>
> $(obj)/sha512-core.S: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
>         $(call cmd,perlasm)
>
> $(obj)/sha512-core.S: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
>         $(call cmd,perlasm)
>

> [2] If we want to check-in _shipped files
> and avoid running perl during the build,
> we can surround unnecessary rules with if-conditional, like
>

> if REGENERATE_ARM64_SHA
> $(src)/sha256-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
>         $(call cmd,perlasm)
>
> $(src)/sha512-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha512-armv8.pl
>         $(call cmd,perlasm)
> endif
>

> Set REGENERATE_ARM64_SHA=1 from the command line
> only when you need to update the _shipped files.
>
> This is what commit 7373f4f83c71d50f0aece6d94309ab7fde42180f did.
>

> Recently, Kconfig switched to [1].
> So, flex and bison are required to build the kernel.

I would prefer option [1], but only if it is already documented
somewhere that Perl is a build time dependency.

* Re: arm crypto .S_shipped files sometimes get rebuilt randomly
@ 2018-03-08 14:11     ` Leonard Crestez
From: Leonard Crestez @ 2018-03-08 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ard Biesheuvel, Masahiro Yamada
  Cc: Herbert Xu, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

On Thu, 2018-03-08 at 07:02 +0000, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 8 March 2018 at 05:00, Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@socionext.com> wrote:

> > > If a decision to rerun the rule is made based on their relative
> > > timestamps but both .S_shipped and sha512-armv8.pl are included in git
> > > then won't the result be essentially random, depending on file checkout
> > > order?

> I agree with your analysis, although  I never see these spurious
> rebuilds of these files.

It would happen at most once per checkout since after it happens the
timestamp on .S_shipped is updated. An extra line in make output is
very easy to miss.

> > We have two choices.
> >
> > [1] If we intend to generate
> > sha{256,512}-core.S from the perl script during the build,
> > this should be:
> >
> > [2] If we want to check-in _shipped files
> > and avoid running perl during the build,
> > we can surround unnecessary rules with if-conditional, like
> >
> > Recently, Kconfig switched to [1].
> > So, flex and bison are required to build the kernel.

> I would prefer option [1], but only if it is already documented
> somewhere that Perl is a build time dependency.

This already seems to be the case, in Documentation/process/changes.rst

> You will need perl 5 and the following modules: ``Getopt::Long``,
> ``Getopt::Std``, ``File::Basename``, and ``File::Find`` to build the
> kernel.

Maybe "integer.pm" would need to be explicitly documented as a
dependency as well? I don't know anything about the perl ecosystem.

Building the kernel with make PERL=/bin/false seems to mostly work
though, it's used for stuff like docs and headers_check (which is not
enabled by default).

Leonard

* a Heisenbug tale (was: Re: arm crypto .S_shipped files sometimes get rebuilt randomly)
@ 2018-03-08 23:19 ` Rasmus Villemoes
From: Rasmus Villemoes @ 2018-03-08 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonard Crestez, Ard Biesheuvel, Masahiro Yamada, Herbert Xu
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

On 2018-03-07 20:25, Leonard Crestez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a toolchain with a broken/old version of perl which doesn't
> include integer.pm and I noticed it triggers occasional build failures
> on arch/arm64/crypto/sha512-core.S_shipped. Workarounds are easy, but
> if the purpose of the .S_shipped is to avoid the need to have all
> dependencies on the build machine then something went wrong?

About a year ago, I debugged a very similar problem for a customer. The
build system (an OpenEmbedded clone) did something like

(1) git clone -n ...
(2) git checkout -q $somerev
(3) make foo_config
(4) make vmlinux
(5) make LOADADDR=0x1234 uImage
(6) make modules

The symptoms, when the bug appeared, was that the kernel was built with
some version string "4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef", but the modules (both the
native kernel modules and those built externally using the linux-dev
package) ended up in /lib/modules/4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef-dirty.

Now, the truly annoying thing about this bug was that when I did the
above steps manually, but did a "git status" in-between steps 4 and 5 to
see where the -dirty might come from, I could _never_ reproduce the bug
(and git status always reported that the tree was clean), while it
usually happened at least 1 in 20 CI builds. Of course, I didn't realize
right away that "git status" was hiding the bug, but without that, I
could reproduce about as often as the CI, while 100 builds with that
extra step never reproduced. With that as a hint, I found
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/BUG-in-git-diff-index-td7652105.html#a7652109,
and slowly began to realize what might be happening.

The thing is, the setlocalversion script doesn't use "git status" to
decide whether to append -dirty, but rather the plumbing command "git
diff-index". During the "make vmlinux", the tree is obviously clean, so
we get the 4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef string baked into vmlinux. In some
cases, the two files

arch/arm/crypto/aesbs-core.S_shipped
arch/arm/crypto/bsaes-armv7.pl

ended up with different timestamps (the latter being newest) after the
git checkout, so during that same "make vmlinux", the S_shipped file
would be regenerated using the perl script. Since it is updated with ">"
shell redirection, the dev and ino stays the same, so does the content,
but the mtime is obviously updated.

If we then go on to do a "make LOADADDR=0x1234 uImage", the kernel build
system again calls setlocalversion, and this time "git diff-index
--name-only HEAD" actually produces output (namely,
arch/arm/crypto/aesbs-core.S_shipped), so include/config/kernel.release
is recreated, this time containing "4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef-dirty". The
right version string was already baked into vmlinux, so the resulting
kernel shows that for uname -r, but everything from now on, including
internal and external module builds, ends up using the -dirty string.

And this is why doing a "git status" would always hide the bug: git
diff-index only looks at the stat(2) information, and the newer mtime
was enough for it to print out arch/arm/crypto/aesbs-core.S_shipped ;
but "git status" actually opens the file and compares the contents
(which are unchanged), and then updates git's index, noting the new
stat() info for the file.

With that, I started looking at the timestamps of the above files
immediately after "git checkout". They were either identical (=no bug),
or the .pl was 4 ms (aka 1 jiffy) newer than the .S_shipped (=the bug
would appear), so that explained why the bug apparently happened at
random: if and only if a timer tick hit between git creating those two
files.

What we ended up doing was to explicitly set the mtime of every file in
the repo to the same reference time after the git checkout (find ... |
xargs touch --date=...). I also wanted to send a patch to change the
Makefile to use the filechk mechanism to avoid updating the .S_shipped
file when the script produced identical output, but never got around to it.

Rasmus

* Re: a Heisenbug tale (was: Re: arm crypto .S_shipped files sometimes get rebuilt randomly)
@ 2018-03-09  9:45   ` Ard Biesheuvel
From: Ard Biesheuvel @ 2018-03-09  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus Villemoes, Russell King
  Cc: Leonard Crestez, Masahiro Yamada, Herbert Xu, linux-arm-kernel,
	linux-kernel

On 8 March 2018 at 23:19, Rasmus Villemoes <linux@rasmusvillemoes.dk> wrote:
> [...]
> (which are unchanged), and then updates git's index, noting the new
> stat() info for the file.
>
> With that, I started looking at the timestamps of the above files
> immediately after "git checkout". They were either identical (=no bug),
> or the .pl was 4 ms (aka 1 jiffy) newer than the .S_shipped (=the bug
> would appear), so that explained why the bug apparently happened at
> random: if and only if a timer tick hit between git creating those two
> files.
>
> What we ended up doing was to explicitly set the mtime of every file in
> the repo to the same reference time after the git checkout (find ... |
> xargs touch --date=...). I also wanted to send a patch to change the
> Makefile to use the filechk mechanism to avoid updating the .S_shipped
> file when the script produced identical output, but never got around to it.

I had no idea that _shipped files were causing issues like this, and
AFAICT, this is not specific to this use case in arch/arm/crypto,
right?

Russell, would you mind if we removed the _shipped.S file here and
just assume that perl is available?

* Re: a Heisenbug tale
@ 2018-03-11  0:56     ` Rasmus Villemoes
From: Rasmus Villemoes @ 2018-03-11  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ard Biesheuvel, Rasmus Villemoes, Russell King
  Cc: Leonard Crestez, Masahiro Yamada, Herbert Xu, linux-arm-kernel,
	linux-kernel

On 2018-03-09 10:45, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 8 March 2018 at 23:19, Rasmus Villemoes <linux@rasmusvillemoes.dk> wrote:
>> On 2018-03-07 20:25, Leonard Crestez wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>> What we ended up doing was to explicitly set the mtime of every file in
>> the repo to the same reference time after the git checkout (find ... |
>> xargs touch --date=...). I also wanted to send a patch to change the
>> Makefile to use the filechk mechanism to avoid updating the .S_shipped
>> file when the script produced identical output, but never got around to it.
>>

> I had no idea that _shipped files were causing issues like this, and
> AFAICT, this is not specific to this use case in arch/arm/crypto,
> right?
>
> Russell, would you mind if we removed the _shipped.S file here and
> just assume that perl is available?

Well, in that case I won't need to write a proper changelog for the
below, but this seems to work. It will of course still give the spurious
build failures when perl is not available and one hits the "files got
checked out at almost but not quite the same time", but it would have
prevented the spurious -dirty bug.

diff --git a/arch/arm/crypto/Makefile b/arch/arm/crypto/Makefile
index 30ef8e291271..f0cec9a92fd8 100644
--- a/arch/arm/crypto/Makefile
+++ b/arch/arm/crypto/Makefile
@@ -54,13 +54,14 @@ crct10dif-arm-ce-y	:= crct10dif-ce-core.o
crct10dif-ce-glue.o
 crc32-arm-ce-y:= crc32-ce-core.o crc32-ce-glue.o
 chacha20-neon-y := chacha20-neon-core.o chacha20-neon-glue.o

-quiet_cmd_perl = PERL    $@
-      cmd_perl = $(PERL) $(<) > $(@)
+define filechk_perl
+	perl $<
+endef

 $(src)/sha256-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha256-armv4.pl
-	$(call cmd,perl)
+	$(call filechk,perl)

 $(src)/sha512-core.S_shipped: $(src)/sha512-armv4.pl
-	$(call cmd,perl)
+	$(call filechk,perl)

 .PRECIOUS: $(obj)/sha256-core.S $(obj)/sha512-core.S

* Re: a Heisenbug tale (was: Re: arm crypto .S_shipped files sometimes get rebuilt randomly)
@ 2018-03-12 16:52     ` Leonard Crestez
From: Leonard Crestez @ 2018-03-12 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ard Biesheuvel, Rasmus Villemoes, Russell King, Masahiro Yamada
  Cc: Herbert Xu, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel, Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Fri, 2018-03-09 at 09:45 +0000, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 8 March 2018 at 23:19, Rasmus Villemoes <linux@rasmusvillemoes.dk> wrote:
> > On 2018-03-07 20:25, Leonard Crestez wrote:

> > > I am using a toolchain with a broken/old version of perl which doesn't
> > > include integer.pm and I noticed it triggers occasional build failures
> > > on arch/arm64/crypto/sha512-core.S_shipped. Workarounds are easy, but
> > > if the purpose of the .S_shipped is to avoid the need to have all
> > > dependencies on the build machine then something went wrong?

> > About a year ago, I debugged a very similar problem for a customer. The
> > build system (an OpenEmbedded clone) did something like
> >
> > (1) git clone -n ...
> > (2) git checkout -q $somerev
> > (3) make foo_config
> > (4) make vmlinux
> > (5) make LOADADDR=0x1234 uImage
> > (6) make modules
> >
> > The symptoms, when the bug appeared, was that the kernel was built with
> > some version string "4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef", but the modules (both the
> > native kernel modules and those built externally using the linux-dev
> > package) ended up in /lib/modules/4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef-dirty.

> I had no idea that _shipped files were causing issues like this, and
> AFAICT, this is not specific to this use case in arch/arm/crypto,
> right?
>
> Russell, would you mind if we removed the _shipped.S file here and
> just assume that perl is available?

It would be good for the fix to get into stable branches so that
downstreams don't each have to invent workarounds. Isn't it much easier
to do this with an #ifdef REGENERATE_ARM_CRYPTO_ASM? It might even be a
requirement for getting into stable.

The _shipped.S stuff can be removed later just for upstream.

Leonard