* SCHED_DEADLINE with CPU affinity
@ 2019-11-19 22:20 Philipp Stanner
From: Philipp Stanner @ 2019-11-19 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Hagen Pfeifer, mingo, peterz, juri.lelli, vincent.guittot,
	dietmar.eggemann, rostedt, bsegall, mgorman

Hey folks,
(please put me in CC when answering, I'm not subscribed)

I'm currently working student in the embedded industry. We have a device where
we need to be able to process network data within a certain deadline. At the
same time, safety is a primary requirement; that's why we construct everything
fully redundant. Meaning: We have two network interfaces, each IRQ then bound
to one CPU core and spawn a container (systemd-nspawn, cgroups based) which in
turn is bound to the corresponding CPU (CPU affinity masked).

        Container0       Container1
   -----------------  -----------------
   |               |  |               |
   |    Proc. A    |  |   Proc. A'    |
   |    Proc. B    |  |   Proc. B'    |
   |               |  |               |
   -----------------  -----------------
          ^                  ^
          |                  |
        CPU 0              CPU 1
          |                  |
       IRQ eth0           IRQ eth1

Within each container several processes are started. Ranging from systemd
(SCHED_OTHER) till two (soft) real-time critical processes: which we want to
execute via SCHED_DEADLINE.

Now, I've worked through the manpage describing scheduling policies, and it
seems that our scenario is forbidden my the kernel.  I've done some tests with
the syscalls sched_setattr and sched_setaffinity, trying to activate
SCHED_DEADLINE while also binding to a certain core.  It fails with EINVAL or
EINBUSY, depending on the order of the syscalls.

I've read that the kernel accomplishes plausibility checks when you ask for a
new deadline task to be scheduled, and I assume this check is what prevents us
from implementing our intended architecture.

Now, the questions we're having are:

   1. Why does the kernel do this, what is the problem with scheduling with
      SCHED_DEADLINE on a certain core? In contrast, how is it handled when
      you have single core systems etc.? Why this artificial limitation?
   2. How can we possibly implement this? We don't want to use SCHED_FIFO,
      because out-of-control tasks would freeze the entire container.

SCHED_RR / SCHED_FIFO will probably be a better policy compared to
SCHED_OTHER, but SCHED_DEADLINE is exactly what we are looking for.

Cheers,
Philipp

* Re: SCHED_DEADLINE with CPU affinity
@ 2020-01-14  9:44 stanner
From: stanner @ 2020-01-14  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Lelli
  Cc: linux-kernel, Hagen Pfeifer, mingo, peterz, vincent.guittot,

Am 13.01.2020 10:22 schrieb Juri Lelli:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay in repling (Xmas + catching-up w/ emails).

No worries

>> I fear I have not understood quite well yet why this
>> "workaround" leads to (presumably) the same results as set_affinity
>> would. From what I have read, I understand it as follows: For
>> sched_dead, admission control tries to guarantee that the requested
>> policy can be executed. To do so, it analyzes the current workload
>> situation, taking especially the number of cores into account.
>>
>> Now, with a pre-configured set, the kernel knows which tasks will run
>> on which core, therefore it's able to judge wether a process can be
>> deadline scheduled or not. But when using the default way, you could
>> start your processes as SCHED_OTHER, set SCHED_DEADLINE as policy and
>> later many of them could suddenly call set_affinity, desiring to run
>> on
>> the same core, therefore provoking collisions.
>
> But setting affinity would still have to pass admission control, and
> should fail in the case you are describing (IIUC).
>
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/sched/core.c#L5433

Well, no, that's not what I meant.
I understand that the kernel currently rejects the combination of
set_affinity and
sched_setattr.
My question, basically is: Why does it work with exclusive cpu-sets?

As I wrote above, I assume that the difference is that the kernel knows
which
programs will run on which core beforehand and therefore can check the
rules of admission control, whereas without exclusive cpu_sets it could
happen
any time that certain (other) deadline applications decide to switch
cores manually,
causing collisions with a deadline task already running on this core.

You originally wrote that this solution is "currently" required; that's
why assume that
in theory the admission control check could also be done dynamically
when
sched_setattr or set_affinity are called (after each other, without
exclusive cpu sets).

Have I been clear enough now? Basically I want to know why
cpusets+sched_deadline
works whereas set_affinity+sched_deadline is rejected, although both
seem to lead
to the same result.

P.