* 2.5.68: NFS3+exported /mnt/cdrom+eject: system lockup
@ 2003-05-01  1:56 Bojan Smojver
From: Bojan Smojver @ 2003-05-01  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have tried this on Red Hat 9 with 2.5.68 kernel (no modules), nfs-utils
version 1.0.1.

NFS3 server was running on the box and it was exporting a mounted /mnt/cdrom to
the world. On "umount /mnt/cdrom" it reported "device busy". On "eject
/mnt/cdrom" it locked the system hard.

One of the previous 2.5.x kernels that I've tried was .65 and that one would
lock up on NFS startup. So, things are better, but not yet completely good.

What kind of information would help debugging this?

--
Bojan

* Re: 2.5.68: NFS3+exported /mnt/cdrom+eject: system lockup
@ 2003-05-01 10:40 ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2003-05-01 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bojan Smojver; +Cc: linux-kernel

     > NFS3 server was running on the box and it was exporting a
     > mounted /mnt/cdrom to the world. On "umount /mnt/cdrom" it
     > reported "device busy". On "eject /mnt/cdrom" it locked the
     > system hard.

     > What kind of information would help debugging this?

The only bug there is the hard crash. You are never allowed to unmount
a device that has been exported.

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: 2.5.68: NFS3+exported /mnt/cdrom+eject: system lockup
@ 2003-05-01 11:56   ` Felipe Alfaro Solana
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-05-01 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: Bojan Smojver, LKML

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 12:40, Trond Myklebust wrote:

>      > NFS3 server was running on the box and it was exporting a
>      > mounted /mnt/cdrom to the world. On "umount /mnt/cdrom" it
>      > reported "device busy". On "eject /mnt/cdrom" it locked the
>      > system hard.
>
>      > What kind of information would help debugging this?
>
> The only bug there is the hard crash. You are never allowed to unmount
> a device that has been exported.

What about not being able to unmount a filesystem that was once
exported, but now it's not? I've been experiencing this problem since a
long time ago:

I have a volume/partition exported via NFS:

/data           192.168.0.100(rw,no_root_squash) 192.168.0.0/24(ro)

However, during shutdown (it's a RH9 box), I do get "can't unmount,
device is busy" errors while unmounting this filesystem *after* the NFS
server has been stopped and all shares unexported.

This does only occurs if the shared NFS volume has been used by other
clients on the LAN. If no client tries to mount/use the share, this
doesn't happen.

Anyways, I'm having problems with NFS on 2.5... many programs fail when
accessing files over NFS, normally, programs that perform heavy file
seeks, writes and reads, like "oggdec" or "lame". They usually can't
complete without exitting with errors.

More information can be provided on detail :-)

Linux Registered User #287198

* Re: 2.5.68: NFS3+exported /mnt/cdrom+eject: system lockup
@ 2003-05-01 12:07     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2003-05-01 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Alfaro Solana; +Cc: Trond Myklebust, Bojan Smojver, LKML

     > However, during shutdown (it's a RH9 box), I do get "can't
     > unmount, device is busy" errors while unmounting this
     > filesystem *after* the NFS server has been stopped and all
     > shares unexported.

That's a known bug and I believe Neil is looking into it.

     > Anyways, I'm having problems with NFS on 2.5... many programs
     > fail when accessing files over NFS, normally, programs that
     > perform heavy file seeks, writes and reads, like "oggdec" or
     > "lame". They usually can't complete without exitting with
     > errors.

I'll take on any NFS client problems. If you are having problems with
a 2.5.x client failing against a 2.4.x server (note! 2.5.x servers are
still way too buggy) or a non-linux server, then please send me a
full bugreport.

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: 2.5.68: NFS3+exported /mnt/cdrom+eject: system lockup
@ 2003-05-01 22:55   ` Bojan Smojver
From: Bojan Smojver @ 2003-05-01 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 20:40, Trond Myklebust wrote:

>      > NFS3 server was running on the box and it was exporting a
>      > mounted /mnt/cdrom to the world. On "umount /mnt/cdrom" it
>      > reported "device busy". On "eject /mnt/cdrom" it locked the
>      > system hard.
>
>      > What kind of information would help debugging this?
>
> The only bug there is the hard crash. You are never allowed to unmount
> a device that has been exported.

Yeah, I guessed that much. I was actually expecting another "device
busy", which is OK. Crash, not OK :-)

Anyway, I have observed other strange stuff too, like not being able to
unmount /mnt/cdrom while it's being exported. Workaround: stop NFS,
unmount, start NFS. Not sure if this is normal or not...

--

@ 2003-05-02  0:11     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2003-05-02  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bojan Smojver; +Cc: Trond Myklebust, linux-kernel

     > Anyway, I have observed other strange stuff too, like not being
     > able to unmount /mnt/cdrom while it's being
     > exported.

That is *correct* behaviour. If the partition is exported, then it is
in use.

     > Workaround: stop NFS, unmount, start NFS. Not sure if this is
     > normal or not...

Either that, or you unexport it, then umount.

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: 2.5.68: NFS3+exported /mnt/cdrom+eject: system lockup
@ 2003-05-02  0:59       ` Bojan Smojver
From: Bojan Smojver @ 2003-05-02  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: trond.myklebust; +Cc: linux-kernel

Quoting Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no>:

>      > Anyway, I have observed other strange stuff too, like not being
>      > able to unmount /mnt/cdrom while it's being
>      > exported.
>
> That is *correct* behaviour. If the partition is exported, then it is
> in use.

Yeah, realised that on my way to work. Sorry, I must be on drugs :-(

So, the only real problem is that crash.

--
Bojan