* Re: [NFS] processes stuck in D state
       [not found] ` <shsel3c85ks.fsf@charged.uio.no>
@ 2003-05-06 15:41   ` Michael Buesch
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-05-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust

* Re: [NFS] processes stuck in D state
@ 2003-05-06 16:05     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2003-05-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Buesch
  Cc: Trond Myklebust, neilb, nfs, Lever, Charles,
	linux kernel mailing list, Zeev Fisher

     > To reproduce the problem:
     > - - mount some nfs from a server in your lan.
     > - - Open an app, that uses the mounted fs. I've simply opened a
     >   konqueror-window for the directory where the nfs is mounted.
     > - - shut down or crash the server or just pull the
     >     network-cable.
     > - - Now the konqueror-process is nonkillable in D
     >     state. There's no
     >   chance to kill it.

Unless you are using the 'intr' or 'soft' mount flags, then that is
*documented and expected* behaviour.

It is true that even when using the 'intr' mount flag, you don't
always succeed in killing a task that is hanging on NFS. That is
usually due to the fact that it is waiting on some semaphore that is
held by another process. semaphores always sleep in the
TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE state, so they cannot be signalled.
Linus has suggested a solution to this problem: to set up a special
class of semaphores that are killable with 'SIGKILL', but doing that
(and then replacing all those semaphores in the VFS and VM) is not
going to happen before 2.7.x. at the earliest.

However, as I've mentioned on this list *many* times before: there
exists a workaround if you are wanting to kill all processes in order
to unmount the partition:
  kill -9 all the processes.
  kill -9 rpciod.

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: [NFS] processes stuck in D state
@ 2003-05-06 16:30       ` Michael Buesch
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-05-06 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: [NFS] processes stuck in D state
@ 2003-05-06 16:54         ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2003-05-06 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> kill -9 all the processes.  kill -9 rpciod.

     > kill -9 doesn't work for me to kill the app.

I didn't say kill the app. I said signal it with -9, then signal
rpciod.

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: [NFS] processes stuck in D state
@ 2003-05-06 17:32           ` Michael Buesch
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-05-06 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: [NFS] processes stuck in D state
@ 2003-05-06 15:56 ` Michael Buesch
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-05-06 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

* RE: [NFS] processes stuck in D state
@ 2003-05-06 15:47 Lever, Charles
From: Lever, Charles @ 2003-05-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> To reproduce the problem:
> - - mount some nfs from a server in your lan.
> - - Open an app, that uses the mounted fs. I've simply opened a
>   konqueror-window for the directory where the nfs is mounted.
> - - shut down or crash the server or just pull the network-cable.
> - - Now the konqueror-process is nonkillable in D state. There's no
>   chance to kill it.

does the problem persist after you reconnect the network cable?
what happens when the server becomes available again?
are you mounting with UDP or TCP?