* [NFS] attempt to use V1 mount protocol on V3 server
@ 2003-09-03 22:13 Pascal Schmidt
From: Pascal Schmidt @ 2003-09-03 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

I don't know whether this is really a problem with the kernel
NFS client - I tried looking at the code but I cannot make too
much sense out of it. ;)

The problem is the following. I have written a user-space NFSv3
server and wanted to register the mount program for version 3 only.
But, this leads to a two problems:

a) when unmounting an NFS volume, the server gets sent an umount
   request indicating version 1 of the protocol, sending a version 3
   umount is not even attempted

b) when something goes wrong during the NFSv3 mount, the kernel
   seems to fall back to NFSv2, re-attempting the mount with mount
   protocol version 1

I think both of this should not be done when the remote side does not
advertise mount protocol version 1 support.

Question: is this a problem of the user-space mount utility or is
it an in-kernel problem?

I've worked around it for the moment by registering for the mount v1
protocol too, handling umount and returning an error if a mount is
attempted. I would it like much more to register for v3 only, though...

--
Ciao,
Pascal