* Why is hotplug a kernel helper?
@ 2003-12-04  0:04 Fredrik Tolf
From: Fredrik Tolf @ 2003-12-04  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

If you don't mind me asking, I would like to know why the kernel calls
a usermode helper for hotplug events? Wouldn't a chrdev be a better
solution (especially considering that programs like magicdev could
listen in to it as well)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the kobject
code never does check the return value from the usermode helper,
right?

Fredrik Tolf

[parent not found: <YPev.5Y5.33@gated-at.bofh.it>]
* Re: Why is hotplug a kernel helper?
@ 2003-12-04 16:38 David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2003-12-04 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Tolf; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Btw., Is there any preferred method of announcing hotplug events to
> user interfaces?

There's interest in using D-BUS, but I'm not sure how it's progressed.
Which user's interface did you have in mind?  The relevant user may
be remote ... heck, they could even be a robot!  :)

- Dave