* loopback blockdevice driver partition support
@ 2006-07-24 23:19 Kasper Sandberg
From: Kasper Sandberg @ 2006-07-24 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello.. i was wondering if someone may have done some work to make the
loopback driver support partitions..

i found that a guy had written a nice script that used sfdisk and
dmsetup to use device mapper on a loopback image of an entire harddrive
(using DOS partition table ofcourse) to create device mapper
"partitions".

though this doesent quite meet my requirements, as i need to read an
image of an amiga disk..

therefore it would seem like a good idea to make the loopback driver
work with linux's partition table support, since it already supports
this.

if anyone has done some work in this, please mail me, and possibly i can
continue it if wanted. just want to know if anyone already has done
something like it before i try at it myself..

mvh.
Kasper Sandberg

* Re: loopback blockdevice driver partition support
@ 2006-07-24 23:29 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2006-07-24 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday July 25, lkml@metanurb.dk wrote:
> hello.. i was wondering if someone may have done some work to make the
> loopback driver support partitions..
>
> i found that a guy had written a nice script that used sfdisk and
> dmsetup to use device mapper on a loopback image of an entire harddrive
> (using DOS partition table ofcourse) to create device mapper
> "partitions".
>
> though this doesent quite meet my requirements, as i need to read an
> image of an amiga disk..
>
> therefore it would seem like a good idea to make the loopback driver
> work with linux's partition table support, since it already supports
> this.
>
> if anyone has done some work in this, please mail me, and possibly i can
> continue it if wanted. just want to know if anyone already has done
> something like it before i try at it myself..

You could try wrapping an md/linear around it

mkdir -p /dev/md
mdadm -Bf -c4 -l linear -n1 -ap /dev/md/d0 /dev/loop0

then look at partitions in /dev/md/d0pN

NeilBrown

* Re: loopback blockdevice driver partition support
@ 2006-07-25 12:52   ` Kasper Sandberg
From: Kasper Sandberg @ 2006-07-25 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 09:29 +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Tuesday July 25, lkml@metanurb.dk wrote:
> > hello.. i was wondering if someone may have done some work to make the
> > loopback driver support partitions..
> >
> > i found that a guy had written a nice script that used sfdisk and
> > dmsetup to use device mapper on a loopback image of an entire harddrive
> > (using DOS partition table ofcourse) to create device mapper
> > "partitions".
> >
> > though this doesent quite meet my requirements, as i need to read an
> > image of an amiga disk..
> >
> > therefore it would seem like a good idea to make the loopback driver
> > work with linux's partition table support, since it already supports
> > this.
> >
> > if anyone has done some work in this, please mail me, and possibly i can
> > continue it if wanted. just want to know if anyone already has done
> > something like it before i try at it myself..
> >

> You could try wrapping an md/linear around it
>
> mkdir -p /dev/md
> mdadm -Bf -c4 -l linear -n1 -ap /dev/md/d0 /dev/loop0
>
> then look at partitions in /dev/md/d0pN
Yeah, i ended up doing this, i found that md supports partitions, and
linear was a perfect match for what i needed.