* linux-firmware embedded usecase, licenses.
@ 2022-01-26 13:07 Christian Melki
From: Christian Melki @ 2022-01-26 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-firmware; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi.

I have this usecase where I include selected parts of linux-firmware on
an embedded machine. As the entire archive is pretty large, only the
needed bits are copied.

Now my issue is that typical embedded build environments create their
own little version of license/information selection hell. They do it so
they can figure out which files belong to what license, etc.

https://github.com/buildroot/buildroot/blob/master/package/linux-firmware/linux-firmware.mk
https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/plain/meta/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_20211216.bb
(and others)

So instead of everyone trying to work out the same information (and
checking the integrity of that on every release), it would be nice if
the WHENCE file was a bit more structured. That would help something
like copy-firmware.sh (or similar) to do most of the mundane bits.

Regards,
Christian

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-01-26 13:08 UTC | newest]