* DRM: Component framework API support
@ 2017-03-30 12:05 Eugeniy Paltsev
From: Eugeniy Paltsev @ 2017-03-30 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel; +Cc: daniel, linux-kernel, linux-snps-arc, airlied

Hi,

I am trying to add support of new component framework API in ARC PGU driver.
The point is that for now we have ARC PGU driver which works with adv7511 encoder. Both of them don't support component framework API. I had to add support of component framework based dw_hdmi encoder to ARC PGU driver.

So what is best way of implementing both component framework API and regular API in one driver?

Thanks.
--
 Eugeniy Paltsev

* Re: DRM: Component framework API support
@ 2017-03-30 13:40 ` Jose Abreu
From: Jose Abreu @ 2017-03-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugeniy Paltsev, dri-devel; +Cc: daniel, linux-kernel, linux-snps-arc, airlied

Hi Eugeniy,

On 30-03-2017 13:05, Eugeniy Paltsev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add support of new component framework API in ARC PGU driver.
> The point is that for now we have ARC PGU driver which works with adv7511 encoder. Both of them don't support component framework API. I had to add support of component framework based dw_hdmi encoder to ARC PGU driver.

As of commit 69497eb9 ("drm: bridge: dw-hdmi: Implement DRM
bridge registration") you don't need to use component API, you
can just use a platform driver wrapper.

> So what is best way of implementing both component framework API and regular API in one driver?

I guess you want to have support for ADV7511 and dw-hdmi, right?
For component API you need to have a master device which binds
all the components and inits them, for regular API not. I don't
see a clean way to do this (but I'm not that experienced in
component API). Do you need runtime support for both of bridges?

Best regards,
Jose Miguel Abreu