* tmpfs returns incorrect data on concurrent pread() and truncate()
@ 2016-10-26 17:05 Jakob Unterwurzacher
From: Jakob Unterwurzacher @ 2016-10-26 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmpfs seems to be incorrectly returning 0-bytes when reading from
a file that is concurrently being truncated.

This is causing crashes in gocryptfs, a cryptographic FUSE overlay,
when it reads a nonce from disk that should absolutely positively
never be all-zero.

I have written a reproducer in C that triggers this issue on
both boxes I tested, Linux 4.7.2 and 3.16.7, both amd64.

It can be downloaded from here:

    https://gist.github.com/rfjakob/d01281c737db38075767f90bf03fc475

or, alternatively, I have attached it to this email at the bottom.

The reproducer:
1) Creates a 10MB file filled with 'x' at /dev/shm/x
2) Spawns a thread that truncates the file 3 bytes at a time
3) Spawns another thread that pread()s the file 1 byte at a time
   starting from the top
4) Prints "wrong data" whenever the pread() gets something that
   is not 'x' or an empty result.

Example run:

$ gcc -Wall -lpthread truncate_read.c && ./a.out
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
wrong data: 0
[...]

Best regards,
Jakob

truncate_read.c
------------------------------8<---------------------------------------

// Compile and run:
// gcc -Wall -lpthread truncate_read.c && ./a.out

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <pthread.h>

int fd;
int l = 10*1024*1024;
pthread_t tid[2];

void* read_thread(void *arg){
	int o,n;
	char b;
	for(o=l; o>0; o--) {
		b = 'a';
		n = pread(fd, &b, 1, o);
		if(n==0) {
			continue;
		}
		if(b != 'x') {
			printf("wrong data: %x\n", b);
		}
	}
	return NULL;
}

void* truncate_thread(void *arg){
	// Parent = Truncater
	int o,n;
	// "3" seems to be the sweet spot to trigger the most errors.
	for(o=l; o>0; o-=3) {
		n = ftruncate(fd, o);
		if(n!=0) {
			perror("ftruncate err");
		}
	}
	return NULL;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
	fd = open("/dev/shm/x", O_RDWR | O_TRUNC | O_CREAT, 0666);
	if(fd < 0) {
		printf("open failed\n");
		exit(1);
	}
	char* x = malloc(l);
	memset(x, 'x', l);
	write(fd, x, l);

	pthread_create(&(tid[0]), NULL, &read_thread, NULL);
	pthread_create(&(tid[1]), NULL, &truncate_thread, NULL);

	void *res;
	pthread_join(tid[0], &res);
	pthread_join(tid[1], &res);

	return 0;
}

* Re: tmpfs returns incorrect data on concurrent pread() and truncate()
@ 2016-11-01 23:51 ` Hugh Dickins
From: Hugh Dickins @ 2016-11-01 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob Unterwurzacher; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016, Jakob Unterwurzacher wrote:

> tmpfs seems to be incorrectly returning 0-bytes when reading from
> a file that is concurrently being truncated.

That is an interesting observation, and you got me worried;
but in fact, it is not a tmpfs problem: if we call it a
problem at all, it's a VFS problem or a userspace problem.

You chose a ratio of 3 preads to 1 ftruncate in your program below:
let's call that the Unterwurzacher Ratio, 3 for tmpfs; YMMV, but for
me 4 worked well to show the same issue on ramfs, and 15 on ext4.

The Linux VFS does not serialize reads against writes or truncation
very strictly: it's unusual to need that serialization, and most
users prefer maximum speed to the additional locking, or intermediate
buffering, that would be required to avoid the issue you've seen.

> This is causing crashes in gocryptfs, a cryptographic FUSE overlay,
> when it reads a nonce from disk that should absolutely positively
> never be all-zero.

I don't think that there will be much appetite for changing the
kernel's VFS to prevent that.  I hope that gocryptfs can provide
the serialization that it needs for itself, or otherwise handle
those zeroes without crashing.

(Though if something is free to truncate at an awkward moment,
then I imagine it can also mess things up by writing wrong data.)

> I have written a reproducer in C that triggers this issue on
> both boxes I tested, Linux 4.7.2 and 3.16.7, both amd64.
>
> It can be downloaded from here:
>
>     https://gist.github.com/rfjakob/d01281c737db38075767f90bf03fc475
>
> or, alternatively, I have attached it to this email at the bottom.
>
> The reproducer:
> 1) Creates a 10MB file filled with 'x' at /dev/shm/x
> 2) Spawns a thread that truncates the file 3 bytes at a time
> 3) Spawns another thread that pread()s the file 1 byte at a time
>    starting from the top
> 4) Prints "wrong data" whenever the pread() gets something that
>    is not 'x' or an empty result.

Nice work, thank you, this helped me a lot.

Hugh

@ 2016-11-02  1:01   ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2016-11-02  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugh Dickins; +Cc: Jakob Unterwurzacher, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 04:51:30PM -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2016, Jakob Unterwurzacher wrote:
>
> > tmpfs seems to be incorrectly returning 0-bytes when reading from
> > a file that is concurrently being truncated.
>
> That is an interesting observation, and you got me worried;
> but in fact, it is not a tmpfs problem: if we call it a
> problem at all, it's a VFS problem or a userspace problem.
>
> You chose a ratio of 3 preads to 1 ftruncate in your program below:
> let's call that the Unterwurzacher Ratio, 3 for tmpfs; YMMV, but for
> me 4 worked well to show the same issue on ramfs, and 15 on ext4.
>
> The Linux VFS does not serialize reads against writes or truncation
> very strictly:

Which is a fine, because...

> it's unusual to need that serialization, and most

.... many filesystems need more robust serialisation as hole punching
(and other fallocate-based extent manipulations) have much stricter
serialisation requirements than truncate and these ....

> users prefer maximum speed to the additional locking, or intermediate
> buffering, that would be required to avoid the issue you've seen.

.... require additional locking to be done at the filesystem level
to avoid race conditions.

Throw in the fact that we already have to do this serialisation in
the filesystem for direct IO as there are no page locks to serialise
direct IO against truncate.  And we need to lock out page faults
from refaulting while we are doing things like punching holes (to
avoid data coherency and corruption bugs), so we need more
filesystem level locks to serialise mmap against fallocate().

And DAX has similar issues - there are no struct pages to serialise
read or mmap access against truncate, so again we need filesystem
level serialisation for this.

Put simple: page locks are insufficient as a generic mechanism for
serialising filesystem operations. The locking required for this is
generally deeply filesystem implementation specific, so it's fine
that the VFS doesn't attempt to provide anything stricter than it
currently does....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: tmpfs returns incorrect data on concurrent pread() and truncate()
@ 2016-11-02  1:38     ` Hugh Dickins
From: Hugh Dickins @ 2016-11-02  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner
  Cc: Hugh Dickins, Jakob Unterwurzacher, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 04:51:30PM -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2016, Jakob Unterwurzacher wrote:
> >
> > > tmpfs seems to be incorrectly returning 0-bytes when reading from
> > > a file that is concurrently being truncated.
> >
> > That is an interesting observation, and you got me worried;
> > but in fact, it is not a tmpfs problem: if we call it a
> > problem at all, it's a VFS problem or a userspace problem.
> >
> > You chose a ratio of 3 preads to 1 ftruncate in your program below:
> > let's call that the Unterwurzacher Ratio, 3 for tmpfs; YMMV, but for
> > me 4 worked well to show the same issue on ramfs, and 15 on ext4.
> >
> > The Linux VFS does not serialize reads against writes or truncation
> > very strictly:
>
> Which is a fine, because...
>
> > it's unusual to need that serialization, and most
>
> .... many filesystems need more robust serialisation as hole punching
> (and other fallocate-based extent manipulations) have much stricter
> serialisation requirements than truncate and these ....
>
> > users prefer maximum speed to the additional locking, or intermediate
> > buffering, that would be required to avoid the issue you've seen.
>
> .... require additional locking to be done at the filesystem level
> to avoid race conditions.
>
> Throw in the fact that we already have to do this serialisation in
> the filesystem for direct IO as there are no page locks to serialise
> direct IO against truncate.  And we need to lock out page faults
> from refaulting while we are doing things like punching holes (to
> avoid data coherency and corruption bugs), so we need more
> filesystem level locks to serialise mmap against fallocate().
>
> And DAX has similar issues - there are no struct pages to serialise
> read or mmap access against truncate, so again we need filesystem
> level serialisation for this.
>
> Put simple: page locks are insufficient as a generic mechanism for
> serialising filesystem operations. The locking required for this is
> generally deeply filesystem implementation specific, so it's fine
> that the VFS doesn't attempt to provide anything stricter than it
> currently does....

I think you are saying that: xfs already provides the extra locking
that avoids this issue; most other filesystems do not; but more can
be expected to add that extra locking in the coming months?

Hugh

* Re: tmpfs returns incorrect data on concurrent pread() and truncate()
@ 2016-11-02  4:01       ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2016-11-02  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugh Dickins; +Cc: Jakob Unterwurzacher, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 06:38:26PM -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > That is an interesting observation, and you got me worried;
> > > but in fact, it is not a tmpfs problem: if we call it a
> > > problem at all, it's a VFS problem or a userspace problem.
> > >
> > > You chose a ratio of 3 preads to 1 ftruncate in your program below:
> > > let's call that the Unterwurzacher Ratio, 3 for tmpfs; YMMV, but for
> > > me 4 worked well to show the same issue on ramfs, and 15 on ext4.
> > >
> > > The Linux VFS does not serialize reads against writes or truncation
> > > very strictly:
> >
> > Which is a fine, because...
> >
> > > it's unusual to need that serialization, and most
> >
> > .... many filesystems need more robust serialisation as hole punching
> > (and other fallocate-based extent manipulations) have much stricter
> > serialisation requirements than truncate and these ....
> >
> > > users prefer maximum speed to the additional locking, or intermediate
> > > buffering, that would be required to avoid the issue you've seen.
> >
> > .... require additional locking to be done at the filesystem level
> > to avoid race conditions.
> >
> > Throw in the fact that we already have to do this serialisation in
> > the filesystem for direct IO as there are no page locks to serialise
> > direct IO against truncate.  And we need to lock out page faults
> > from refaulting while we are doing things like punching holes (to
> > avoid data coherency and corruption bugs), so we need more
> > filesystem level locks to serialise mmap against fallocate().
> >
> > And DAX has similar issues - there are no struct pages to serialise
> > read or mmap access against truncate, so again we need filesystem
> > level serialisation for this.
> >
> > Put simple: page locks are insufficient as a generic mechanism for
> > serialising filesystem operations. The locking required for this is
> > generally deeply filesystem implementation specific, so it's fine
> > that the VFS doesn't attempt to provide anything stricter than it
> > currently does....
>
> I think you are saying that: xfs already provides the extra locking
> that avoids this issue; most other filesystems do not; but more can
> be expected to add that extra locking in the coming months?

Effectively, yes. ext4 already has the extra mmap lock for DAX,
and it's likely to get saner internal IO locking as it is converted
to use iomaps (which is also needed for DAX).

As I've pointed out in a different thread recently, filesystems now
have three IO paths - page cache, direct and DAX - and only the page
cache IO uses struct pages. The other IO paths don't, and they still
have to be serialised against truncate and other operations. IOWs,
if a filesystem wants to support the new incoming storage
technologies, it has to do this IO serialisation internally
regardless of whatever other optimisations and go-fast paths the
page cache has...

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: tmpfs returns incorrect data on concurrent pread() and truncate()
@ 2016-11-02 13:21       ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2016-11-02 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugh Dickins
  Cc: Dave Chinner, Jakob Unterwurzacher, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 06:38:26PM -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > Put simple: page locks are insufficient as a generic mechanism for
> > serialising filesystem operations. The locking required for this is
> > generally deeply filesystem implementation specific, so it's fine
> > that the VFS doesn't attempt to provide anything stricter than it
> > currently does....
>
> I think you are saying that: xfs already provides the extra locking
> that avoids this issue; most other filesystems do not; but more can
> be expected to add that extra locking in the coming months?

The test program was using buffered reads, and ext4 is using
generic_file_read_iter(), so presumably adding file system specific
locking would require that file systems which use
generic_file_read_iter() would need to front-end it with the
additional required file system specific locks.  This is what XFS is
currently doing, but a quick git grep seems to show that besides XFS,
nfs, cifs, ceph and ocfs2 (i.e., XFS and remote file systems),
everyone else is using generic_file_read_iter() is using it directly
as read_iter method.

So if we think we really care about getting this case right, and if we
think the locking overhead in the uncontended case is sufficiently low
that it's worth fixing (it'll probably mean the bonnie benchmark will
take a hit, but that's a pretty crappy benchmark anyway :-), perhaps
we should be thinking about some way of adding a generic locking
mechanism so that most file systems will have a fighting chance of
getting this right.

Otherwise, perhaps the major file systems will add the appropriate
locking to the buffered I/O case (much more attention has been paid to
the direct I/O case, which is where more workloads have historically
cared) but I suspect as a percentage of the file systems in the Linux
kernel, they won't be getting this case right.

Cheers,

						- Ted

* Re: tmpfs returns incorrect data on concurrent pread() and truncate()
@ 2016-11-03 23:45   ` Jakob Unterwurzacher
From: Jakob Unterwurzacher @ 2016-11-03 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugh Dickins; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

First of all, thanks for your replies!

On 02.11.2016 00:51, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> I don't think that there will be much appetite for changing the
> kernel's VFS to prevent that.  I hope that gocryptfs can provide
> the serialization that it needs for itself, or otherwise handle
> those zeroes without crashing.

Yes, I dropped the nonce sanity check, the MAC will catch the corruption
anyway.

Just FYI, xfstests generic/075 discovered this. The test itself does not check
the data it gets back, which is why it usually passes.

Best regards,
Jakob