* ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux
@ 2017-01-10  1:11 Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2017-01-10  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid; +Cc: LKML, Brown, Neil

I am pleased to announce the availability of
   mdadm version 4.0

It is available at the usual places:
   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/raid/mdadm/
and via git at
   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/mdadm/mdadm.git
   http://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/mdadm/

The update in major version number primarily indicates this is a
release by it's new maintainer. In addition it contains a large number
of fixes in particular for IMSM RAID and clustered RAID support.  In
addition this release includes support for IMSM 4k sector drives,
failfast and better documentation for journaled RAID.

This is my first release of mdadm. Please thank Neil Brown for his
previous work as maintainer and blame me for all the bugs I caused
since taking over.

Jes Sorensen, 2017-01-09

* Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux
@ 2017-01-10 17:49 ` Bruce Dubbs
From: Bruce Dubbs @ 2017-01-10 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen, linux-raid; +Cc: LKML, Brown, Neil

Jes Sorensen wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the availability of
>     mdadm version 4.0
>
> It is available at the usual places:
>     http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/raid/mdadm/
> and via git at
>     git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/mdadm/mdadm.git
>     http://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/mdadm/
>
> The update in major version number primarily indicates this is a
> release by it's new maintainer. In addition it contains a large number
> of fixes in particular for IMSM RAID and clustered RAID support.  In
> addition this release includes support for IMSM 4k sector drives,
> failfast and better documentation for journaled RAID.

Thank you for the new release.  Unfortunately I get 9 failures running the
test suite:

tests/00raid1...          FAILED
tests/07autoassemble...   FAILED
tests/07changelevels...   FAILED
tests/07revert-grow...    FAILED
tests/07revert-inplace... FAILED
tests/07testreshape5...   FAILED
tests/10ddf-fail-twice... FAILED
tests/20raid5journal...   FAILED
tests/10ddf-incremental-wrong-order...  FAILED

The procedure I used was

make
sudo ./test --keep-going --logdir=test-logs --save-logs

I'll also note that there is an irritating message when a test fails:
cp: cannot stat '/var/tmp/log': No such file or directory

This can be fixed easily enough with:
sed -i 's# if.* == "1"#& -a -e $targetdir/log#' test

I don't know if this mailing list is the right place to report bugs or
not.  I do not want to spam the list with the logs but they are available at:

http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/mdadm-logs/

   -- Bruce Dubbs
      linuxfromscratch.org

* Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux
@ 2017-01-11 16:52   ` Shaohua Li
From: Shaohua Li @ 2017-01-11 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Dubbs; +Cc: Jes Sorensen, linux-raid, LKML, Brown, Neil

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:49:04AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Jes Sorensen wrote:
> > I am pleased to announce the availability of
> >     mdadm version 4.0
> >
> > It is available at the usual places:
> >     http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/raid/mdadm/
> > and via git at
> >     git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/mdadm/mdadm.git
> >     http://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/mdadm/
> >
> > The update in major version number primarily indicates this is a
> > release by it's new maintainer. In addition it contains a large number
> > of fixes in particular for IMSM RAID and clustered RAID support.  In
> > addition this release includes support for IMSM 4k sector drives,
> > failfast and better documentation for journaled RAID.
>
> Thank you for the new release.  Unfortunately I get 9 failures running the
> test suite:
>
> tests/00raid1...          FAILED
> tests/07autoassemble...   FAILED
> tests/07changelevels...   FAILED
> tests/07revert-grow...    FAILED
> tests/07revert-inplace... FAILED
> tests/07testreshape5...   FAILED
> tests/10ddf-fail-twice... FAILED
> tests/20raid5journal...   FAILED
> tests/10ddf-incremental-wrong-order...  FAILED

Yep, several tests usually fail. It appears some checks aren't always good.  At
least the 'check' function for reshape/resync isn't reliable in my test, I saw
07changelevelintr fails frequently.

Thanks,
Shaohua

* Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux
@ 2017-01-11 16:59     ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2017-01-11 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaohua Li, Bruce Dubbs; +Cc: linux-raid, LKML, Brown, Neil

On 01/11/17 11:52, Shaohua Li wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:49:04AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Jes Sorensen wrote:
>>> I am pleased to announce the availability of
>>>     mdadm version 4.0
>>>
>>> It is available at the usual places:
>>>     http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/raid/mdadm/
>>> and via git at
>>>     git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/mdadm/mdadm.git
>>>     http://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/mdadm/
>>>
>>> The update in major version number primarily indicates this is a
>>> release by it's new maintainer. In addition it contains a large number
>>> of fixes in particular for IMSM RAID and clustered RAID support.  In
>>> addition this release includes support for IMSM 4k sector drives,
>>> failfast and better documentation for journaled RAID.
>>
>> Thank you for the new release.  Unfortunately I get 9 failures running the
>> test suite:
>>
>> tests/00raid1...          FAILED
>> tests/07autoassemble...   FAILED
>> tests/07changelevels...   FAILED
>> tests/07revert-grow...    FAILED
>> tests/07revert-inplace... FAILED
>> tests/07testreshape5...   FAILED
>> tests/10ddf-fail-twice... FAILED
>> tests/20raid5journal...   FAILED
>> tests/10ddf-incremental-wrong-order...  FAILED
>
> Yep, several tests usually fail. It appears some checks aren't always good.  At
> least the 'check' function for reshape/resync isn't reliable in my test, I saw
> 07changelevelintr fails frequently.

That is my experience as well - some of them are affected by the kernel
version too. We probably need to look into making them more reliable.

I am also not sure how reliable the DDF tests are on systems without DDF
support.

Cheers,
Jes

* Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux
@ 2017-01-12  4:24       ` Guoqing Jiang
From: Guoqing Jiang @ 2017-01-12  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen, Shaohua Li, Bruce Dubbs; +Cc: linux-raid, LKML, Brown, Neil

On 01/12/2017 12:59 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> On 01/11/17 11:52, Shaohua Li wrote:

>>> Thank you for the new release.  Unfortunately I get 9 failures running the
>>> test suite:
>>>
>>> tests/00raid1...          FAILED
>>> tests/07autoassemble...   FAILED
>>> tests/07changelevels...   FAILED
>>> tests/07revert-grow...    FAILED
>>> tests/07revert-inplace... FAILED
>>> tests/07testreshape5...   FAILED
>>> tests/10ddf-fail-twice... FAILED
>>> tests/20raid5journal...   FAILED
>>> tests/10ddf-incremental-wrong-order...  FAILED
>> Yep, several tests usually fail. It appears some checks aren't always good.  At
>> least the 'check' function for reshape/resync isn't reliable in my test, I saw
>> 07changelevelintr fails frequently.
> That is my experience as well - some of them are affected by the kernel
> version too. We probably need to look into making them more reliable.

If possible, it could be a potential topic for lsf/mm raid discussion as
Coly suggested
in previous mail.

Is current test can run the test for different raid level, say, "./test
--raidtype=raid1" could
execute all the *r1* tests, does it make sense to do it if we don't
support it now.

Thanks,
Guoqing

* Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux
@ 2017-01-12 16:41         ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2017-01-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guoqing Jiang, Shaohua Li, Bruce Dubbs; +Cc: linux-raid, LKML, Brown, Neil

On 01/11/17 23:24, Guoqing Jiang wrote:

> On 01/12/2017 12:59 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:

>>> Yep, several tests usually fail. It appears some checks aren't always
>>> good.  At
>>> least the 'check' function for reshape/resync isn't reliable in my
>>> test, I saw
>>> 07changelevelintr fails frequently.
>> That is my experience as well - some of them are affected by the kernel
>> version too. We probably need to look into making them more reliable.
>
> If possible, it could be a potential topic for lsf/mm raid discussion as
> Coly suggested
> in previous mail.
>
> Is current test can run the test for different raid level, say, "./test
> --raidtype=raid1" could
> execute all the *r1* tests, does it make sense to do it if we don't
> support it now.

We could have a discussion about this at LSF/MM, if someone is willing
to sponsor getting it accepted and we can get the right people there.

Note that the test suite also allows you to run all the 01 tests by
specifying ./test 01. I do like to see the test suite improved and made
more resilient.

Cheers,
Jes

* Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux
@ 2017-02-13  5:08           ` zhilong
From: zhilong @ 2017-02-13  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen, Bruce Dubbs, Brown, Neil
  Cc: Guoqing Jiang, Shaohua Li, linux-raid, LKML

Hi, Jes;

On 01/13/2017 12:41 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> On 01/11/17 23:24, Guoqing Jiang wrote:

>>> That is my experience as well - some of them are affected by the kernel
>>> version too. We probably need to look into making them more reliable.
>> If possible, it could be a potential topic for lsf/mm raid discussion as
>> Coly suggested
>> in previous mail.
>>
>> Is current test can run the test for different raid level, say, "./test
>> --raidtype=raid1" could
>> execute all the *r1* tests, does it make sense to do it if we don't
>> support it now.
> We could have a discussion about this at LSF/MM, if someone is willing
> to sponsor getting it accepted and we can get the right people there.
>
> Note that the test suite also allows you to run all the 01 tests by
> specifying ./test 01. I do like to see the test suite improved and made
> more resilient.
I'm sorry for my late response, I'm just back to work today from
vacation. In the past months, I learned and worked for cluster-md feature,
and I have draft one test suit for cluster-md feature. please refer to
https://github.com/zhilongliu/clustermd-autotest
I'm very willing to do something for improving mdadm testing part, also
wanna improve cluster-md test suit, welcome all comments for it.

> Cheers,
> Jes

Thanks very much,
-Zhilong

* Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux
@ 2017-02-13  5:54             ` zhilong
From: zhilong @ 2017-02-13  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen, Bruce Dubbs, Brown, Neil
  Cc: Guoqing Jiang, Shaohua Li, linux-raid, LKML

On 02/13/2017 01:08 PM, zhilong wrote:
> Hi, Jes;
>

> On 01/13/2017 12:41 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:

>>> If possible, it could be a potential topic for lsf/mm raid
>>> discussion as
>>> Coly suggested
>>> in previous mail.
>>>
>>> Is current test can run the test for different raid level, say, "./test
>>> --raidtype=raid1" could
>>> execute all the *r1* tests, does it make sense to do it if we don't
>>> support it now.
>> We could have a discussion about this at LSF/MM, if someone is willing
>> to sponsor getting it accepted and we can get the right people there.
>>
>> Note that the test suite also allows you to run all the 01 tests by
>> specifying ./test 01. I do like to see the test suite improved and made
>> more resilient.
> I'm sorry for my late response, I'm just back to work today from
> vacation. In the past months, I learned and worked for cluster-md
> feature,
> and I have draft one test suit for cluster-md feature. please refer to
> https://github.com/zhilongliu/clustermd-autotest
> I'm very willing to do something for improving mdadm testing part,
> also wanna improve cluster-md test suit, welcome all comments for it.

   I would keep making cluster-md test scripts more and more stable, and
finally apply to integrate into mdadm test part. :-)

Best regards,
-Zhilong

@ 2017-02-13 17:44               ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2017-02-13 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhilong, Bruce Dubbs, Brown, Neil
  Cc: Guoqing Jiang, Shaohua Li, linux-raid, LKML

On 02/13/2017 12:54 AM, zhilong wrote:
> On 02/13/2017 01:08 PM, zhilong wrote:
>> Hi, Jes;

>>> We could have a discussion about this at LSF/MM, if someone is willing
>>> to sponsor getting it accepted and we can get the right people there.
>>>
>>> Note that the test suite also allows you to run all the 01 tests by
>>> specifying ./test 01. I do like to see the test suite improved and made
>>> more resilient.
>> I'm sorry for my late response, I'm just back to work today from
>> vacation. In the past months, I learned and worked for cluster-md
>> feature,
>> and I have draft one test suit for cluster-md feature. please refer to
>> https://github.com/zhilongliu/clustermd-autotest
>> I'm very willing to do something for improving mdadm testing part,
>> also wanna improve cluster-md test suit, welcome all comments for it.
>>
>   I would keep making cluster-md test scripts more and more stable, and
> finally apply to integrate into mdadm test part. :-)

I'd very much like to see work to improve the test suite, so that is great.

Once you have the test suites ready, please post patches and I shall be
happy to implement them.

Please make sure to test that they don't break if people haven't built
cluster support into their kernels.

Cheers,
Jes