* PC-speaker control
@ 2001-01-01 20:30 Rafael Diniz
From: Rafael Diniz @ 2001-01-01 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hey, Is there a way to control the PC-speaker with the Linux kernel 2.2?
I want to disable it.
I guy told me that with this assembly code I can disable it:
	in al , 97
	and al,253
	out 97,al
Linux 2.4 will have any syscall to do this?

Thanks
Rafael Diniz
Brazil
Conectiva Linux 6.0 (2.2.17)  XFree86-4.0.1
PII 233mhz 96Mb ram
SB16, USR56k, S3 VirgeDX/GX 4Mb, CD creative48X
HDa 10Gb Quantum  HDb 4.1Gb Fugitsu
MSX2.0 256k MegaRam 256k Mapper 128k Vram
MSX is the future

* Re: PC-speaker control
@ 2001-01-01 23:05 ` Robert Read
From: Robert Read @ 2001-01-01 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Diniz; +Cc: linux-kernel

Try this on the console:

setterm -blength 0

no assembly required. :)

robert

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 06:30:37PM -0200, Rafael Diniz wrote:
> Hey, Is there a way to control the PC-speaker with the Linux kernel 2.2?
> I want to disable it.
> I guy told me that with this assembly code I can disable it:
> 	in al , 97
> 	and al,253
> 	out 97,al
> Linux 2.4 will have any syscall to do this?
>
> Thanks
> Rafael Diniz
> Brazil
> Conectiva Linux 6.0 (2.2.17)  XFree86-4.0.1
> PII 233mhz 96Mb ram
> SB16, USR56k, S3 VirgeDX/GX 4Mb, CD creative48X
> HDa 10Gb Quantum  HDb 4.1Gb Fugitsu
> MSX2.0 256k MegaRam 256k Mapper 128k Vram
> MSX is the future

* Re: PC-speaker control
@ 2001-01-02  0:18   ` Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2001-01-02  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Read, linux-kernel

Robert Read wrote:
> Try this on the console:
>
> setterm -blength 0
>
> no assembly required. :)

Yes, and my xterm still beeps - if I make that go away then something
else will beep.

Somebody posted a patch to do a global disable of the speaker some time
back, and I wish that the patch were generally available.  The result of
not having the global disable is an office full of beeping computers.

How does this look:

  cat 0 >/proc/sys/dev/speaker/beep

--
Daniel
-

* Re: PC-speaker control
@ 2001-01-02  0:40     ` Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2001-01-02  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Daniel Phillips wrote:

> Robert Read wrote:
> > Try this on the console:
> >
> > setterm -blength 0
> >
> > no assembly required. :)
>
> Yes, and my xterm still beeps - if I make that go away then something
> else will beep.
>
> Somebody posted a patch to do a global disable of the speaker some time
> back, and I wish that the patch were generally available.  The result of
> not having the global disable is an office full of beeping computers.
>
> How does this look:
>
>   cat 0 >/proc/sys/dev/speaker/beep

eh,

  echo 0 >/proc/sys/dev/speaker/beep

--
Daniel
-

* Re: PC-speaker control
@ 2001-01-02  6:16       ` Robert Read
From: Robert Read @ 2001-01-02  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Phillips; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 01:40:43AM +0100, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Daniel Phillips wrote:
> >
> > Robert Read wrote:
> > > Try this on the console:
> > >
> > > setterm -blength 0
> > >
> > > no assembly required. :)
> >
> > Yes, and my xterm still beeps - if I make that go away then something
> > else will beep.
> >
> > Somebody posted a patch to do a global disable of the speaker some time
> > back, and I wish that the patch were generally available.  The result of
> > not having the global disable is an office full of beeping
> > computers.

Right, I see what you mean. Disabling the beep is one thing I always
do, and it requires a few differnt steps, like "xset b off" for xterms
and so on.  It would be nice to switch it off in one place and be done
with it.

> > How does this look:
> >
>   echo 0 >/proc/sys/dev/speaker/beep

This looks good to me.  As far as I can tell, it looks like the beep
is generated by kd_mksound, which is a function pointer that usually
points to drivers/char/vt.c:_kd_mksound().  Can anyone verify this?

It doesn't look to hard to write a sysctl driver that would change the
function pointer to something quieter.  Is this what patch did?

robert
-