* Massive Corruption
@ 2001-02-27  0:10 MC_Vai
From: MC_Vai @ 2001-02-27  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

	Hi,
	I have a problem with my filesystem, the kernel panics
	as soon as it tries to mount the root filesystem.

	I guess it is because of the IDE bug in the driver
	Russell found, but he (Russell) suggest me to post
	my message here.

	What I've tried up to now:
	~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
	% e2fsck -B 4096 /dev/<part>
	% e2fsck -B 8192 /dev/<part>
	... (16384, 32768, etc.)

	% e2fsck -b 4097 /dev/<part>
	% e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/<part>
	... (16385, 32769, etc.)

	The error message I got:
	(no matter the argument)
	~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
e2fsck 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda6

	My (formerly) system:
	~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
	o   Kernel Version:  2.4.0
	o   Hard Disk:       IBM DTTA-351010 (mode=AUTO in the BIOS)
	o   Architechture:   i386

	Is there anything I can do in order to recover my
	corrupted partition?
	Am I doing something wrong?

	Thanks a lot in advance.
	Regards,
	                                  Eduardo.

* Re: Massive Corruption
@ 2001-02-27 16:50 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-02-27 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MC_Vai; +Cc: linux-kernel

MC Vai writes:
> 	I have a problem with my filesystem, the kernel panics
> 	as soon as it tries to mount the root filesystem.
>
> 	I guess it is because of the IDE bug in the driver
> 	Russell found, but he (Russell) suggest me to post
> 	my message here.
>
> 	What I've tried up to now:
> 	~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 	% e2fsck -B 4096 /dev/<part>
> 	% e2fsck -B 8192 /dev/<part>
> 	... (16384, 32768, etc.)
>
> 	% e2fsck -b 4097 /dev/<part>
> 	% e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/<part>
> 	... (16385, 32769, etc.)

There is a tool called gpart which will search a disk for filesystem
headers and such, and will optionally re-build your partition table
(if it is corrupted).  You should give it a try.

Cheers, Andreas

* Re: Massive Corruption
@ 2001-02-27 17:18   ` MC_Vai
From: MC_Vai @ 2001-02-27 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Dilger; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:50:16AM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> There is a tool called gpart which will search a disk for filesystem
> headers and such, and will optionally re-build your partition table
> (if it is corrupted).  You should give it a try.

	I will thanks, but I must say that I did already
	rewrite the partition table.
	i.e., I wrote in a paper the values of my previous
	partition table, then I delete all the linux
	partitions and finally I rewrote them again (with
	the same values it had).  But it doesn't work  =-(

	But I'm gonna try with gpart and I'll tell you if
	it works.

	Thank you.
	Regards,

	                           Eduardo.