* Re: 2.4.2 ext2 filesystem corruption ? (was 2.4.2: What happened ? (No such file or directory))
@ 2001-03-05  6:37 Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2001-03-05  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

Maybe I should give details about my hardware. The system was
installed 5 months ago, and this is the first problem.

I used 2.2.16 stock Kernel from Slackware 7.1
2.2.17
2.2.18
2.4.0
2.4.1

And the only problem was with 2.4.2.

FYI, I'm not using hdparm or changing the BIOS to use UDMA 66.
It'd fail with 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 (CRC errors), so the setting
is AUTO and it's using UDMA 33.

And please note that this machine is fine, but I actually only
open 2 consoles and run GNU screen. No XFree86, and only a few
applications running.

If needed, my /var/log/dmesg is at
http://members.nbci.com/pervalidus/dmesg-2.4.2.txt

--
0@pervalidus.{net, {dyndns.}org} Tel: 55-21-717-2399 (Niterói-RJ BR)

* Re: 2.4.2 ext2 filesystem corruption ? (was 2.4.2: What happened ? (No such file or directory))
@ 2001-03-06 10:14 ` SteveC
From: SteveC @ 2001-03-06 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frédéric L. W. Meunier; +Cc: Linux Kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 466 bytes --]

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, [iso-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> Hi. After a reboot I had to manually run fsck (sulogin from
> sysinit script) since there were failures.

's what I had, also after something like 8 hours idle.

lost+found looks a bit bigger with 43 files... no problems just using
2.2.18.

have fun,

pub  1024D/A9D75E73 2000-05-30 Stephen Coast (SteveC) <steve@fractalus.com>
[expires:2001-05-30] www.fractalus.com/steve/ <stevecoast@hushmail.com>

* Re: 2.4.2 ext2 filesystem corruption ? (was 2.4.2: What happened ? (No  such file or directory))
@ 2001-03-06  6:49 ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2001-03-06  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frédéric L. W. Meunier; +Cc: Linux Kernel

For what it's worth, I was able to completely screw up my root FS
using redhat's Fisher beta kernel (2.2.18 + stuff).  I did this by
running a bad hdparm command while running a full GNOME desktop:
(This was not a good idea...and I know, and knew that...but....)

hdparm -X34 -d1 -u1 /dev/hda
(As found here: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html?page=2

HD is a 40GB 7200 RPM Western Digital drive. (ATA-100 I believe)
that I just got from Fry's a few days ago...

fdisk was sort of able to recover most of the file system by
booting off of the CD in rescue mode and running fsck on /dev/hda, but
many files were not what they said they were, ie /sbin/ifup was
some other binary...  Some files turned into directories it
seems....

Sorry for the lame bug report, but I'm scared to try it again, and
I didn't realize the complexity of the problem when I simply powered
down my machine with the HD light on solid...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)

* 2.4.2 ext2 filesystem corruption ? (was 2.4.2: What happened ? (No such file or directory))
@ 2001-03-05  5:21 Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2001-03-05  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

Hi. After a reboot I had to manually run fsck (sulogin from
sysinit script) since there were failures.

In my second (and problematic) boot with 2.4.2 I used the
option mount --bind in my sysinit script to mount the old /dev
in /dev-old before devfs was mounted, so I could get rid of all
entries that were still there (I removed most before building a
Kernel with devfs support).

For some reason I couldn't remove /dev-old/hdd2. It reported
can't state file. Note that I never used /dev/hdd*, since I
only use hda and hdc, but am sure it was OK with 2.4.0 (mc
reported an error when I accessed /dev-old, what never happened
before), the last time I used a Kernel without devfs support.

If you read my old thread, you should notice various
applications couldn't access (or rename ?) files. It happened
after ~8h of idle time. It was OK at 5:58, when I last ran cvs
and killed pppd, but failed at ~14:30, when multilog (from
daemontools) had to do something to a full dnscache log file (I
was online).

I'm not sure 2.4.2 is the culprit. I just hope it's the last
time. There were no errors when I first booted with this Kernel
(I was using 2.4.1), and my first uptime was ~6 days (~23 with
2.4.1). Also there were no errors when I booted 2.4.2 for the
second time.

BTW, /lost+found contains hdd2:

brw-r-----    1 root     disk      22,  66 May  8  1995 #518878

The other partitions (/home/ftp/pub and /usr/local/src) have no
problems.

--
0@pervalidus.{net, {dyndns.}org} Tel: 55-21-717-2399 (Niterói-RJ BR)