* Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27  2:18 Cesar Da Silva
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Cesar Da Silva @ 2001-05-27  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernellist

Hi again.
I am doing a thesis about comparing the Linux kernel
against HP-UX, AIX, Tru64 UNIX, and Solaris (as you
probably alredy know).
I'm stuck now (and the thesis has to bee ready until
tomorow) with some few features that the other
operating system have, and I can't find any
information about it, if those features are
implemented in Linux or not.

The features that I'm wondering about are:
* Dynamic Processor Resilience
* Dynamic Memory Resilience
* Dynamic Page Sizing
* Live Upgrade
* Alternative I/O Pathing
* HSM
* TCP selective acknowledgement (SACK)
* Service Location Protocol (SLP)
* ATM IP switching
* SOCKS 5 support
* Multilink PPP
* TCP/IP Gratuitous ARP (RFC 2002)
* Path MTU Discovery (RFC 1191)
* Path MTU Discovery over UDP
* IP Multipath Routing

The questions I have about the features above are:
* Are any of the above features implemented in the
kernel? If yes, where can I read (url-link  to the
article, paper... please) about it?
* Is any of the features implemented through a program
/daemon? If yes, which program (link to program)?

Here is the link to my thesis if anyone hasn't got my

http://www.student.hig.se/~na98csa/{
,Linux.tex,xjobb.ps}

Thanks in advance,
Cesar da Silva

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27  2:27 ` Jeff Garzik
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-05-27  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cesar.da.silva; +Cc: kernellist

Cesar Da Silva wrote:
> The features that I'm wondering about are:
> * Dynamic Processor Resilience

is this fault tolerance?  I think if a CPU croaks, you are dead.

There are patches for hot swap cpu support, but I haven't seen any CPU
fault tolerance patches that can handle a dead processor

> * Dynamic Memory Resilience

RAM fault tolerance?  There was a patch a long time ago which detected
bad ram, and would mark those memory clusters as unuseable at boot.
However that is clearly not dynamic.

If your memory croaks, your kernel will experience random corruptions

> * Dynamic Page Sizing

no

> * Live Upgrade

LOBOS will let one Linux kernel boot another, but that requires a boot
step, so it is not a live upgrade.  so, no, afaik

> * Alternative I/O Pathing

be less vague

> * HSM

patches exist, I believe

> * TCP selective acknowledgement (SACK)

yes

> * Service Location Protocol (SLP)

don't know

> * ATM IP switching

yes, I believe

> * SOCKS 5 support

yes, via userspace apps/libs

> * Multilink PPP

yes

> * TCP/IP Gratuitous ARP (RFC 2002)

not sure

> * Path MTU Discovery (RFC 1191)

yes

> * Path MTU Discovery over UDP

not sure, but I think so

> * IP Multipath Routing

yes

http://google.com/

--
Jeff Garzik      | Disbelief, that's why you fail.
Building 1024    |

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27  2:50 ` Jonathan Morton
From: Jonathan Morton @ 2001-05-27  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik, cesar.da.silva; +Cc: kernellist

>> * Live Upgrade
>
>LOBOS will let one Linux kernel boot another, but that requires a boot
>step, so it is not a live upgrade.  so, no, afaik

If you build nearly everything (except, obviously what you need to boot) as
modules, you can unload modules, build new versions, and reload them.  So,
you could say that partial support for "live upgrades" is included.

It works, too - I unloaded my OV511 driver a few weeks ago, copied the
source for the new one in, built it, and re-inserted it.  Same goes for the
DRM module a couple of weeks before that.  Now, the machine in question
gets rebooted fairly often in any case, but those were things I *didn't*
have to reboot for.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)
big-mail: chromatix@penguinpowered.com
uni-mail: j.d.morton@lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27  2:55   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-05-27  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Morton; +Cc: cesar.da.silva, kernellist

Jonathan Morton wrote:

> >> * Live Upgrade
> >
> >LOBOS will let one Linux kernel boot another, but that requires a boot
> >step, so it is not a live upgrade.  so, no, afaik
>
> If you build nearly everything (except, obviously what you need to boot) as
> modules, you can unload modules, build new versions, and reload them.  So,
> you could say that partial support for "live upgrades" is included.

I stand corrected, though I clearly know better:
Modules are unloaded/reloaded all the time during my driver development
:)

--
Jeff Garzik      | Disbelief, that's why you fail.
Building 1024    |
MandrakeSoft     |

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27  8:17   ` James Sutherland
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: James Sutherland @ 2001-05-27  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: cesar.da.silva, kernellist

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Cesar Da Silva wrote:
> > The features that I'm wondering about are:
> > * Dynamic Processor Resilience
>
> is this fault tolerance?  I think if a CPU croaks, you are dead.
>
> There are patches for hot swap cpu support, but I haven't seen any CPU
> fault tolerance patches that can handle a dead processor

The S/390 has this; presumably it applies to Linux as well as the other
supported OSs?

> > * Dynamic Memory Resilience
>
> RAM fault tolerance?  There was a patch a long time ago which detected
> bad ram, and would mark those memory clusters as unuseable at boot.
> However that is clearly not dynamic.
>
> If your memory croaks, your kernel will experience random corruptions

ECC can be supported by the hardware; no support for mapping out duff
banks on x86, but again S/390 may differ?

> > * Live Upgrade
>
> LOBOS will let one Linux kernel boot another, but that requires a boot
> step, so it is not a live upgrade.  so, no, afaik

Live SOFTWARE upgrade, or live HARDWARE upgrade? If the latter, things
like hotswap PCI, USB... and again the S/390?

> > * Service Location Protocol (SLP)
>
> don't know

Yes, I think so - mars_nwe surely needs this?

> > * TCP/IP Gratuitous ARP (RFC 2002)
>
> not sure

Isn't that how LVS clusters handle IP takeovers?

> > * Path MTU Discovery (RFC 1191)
>
> yes

With one or two RFC violations, yes.

Basically, most of those features relating to hardware resilience should
be usable with Linux on an S/390 - they are hardware features, though,
AFAICS?

James.

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27  8:27   ` Ingo Oeser
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ingo Oeser @ 2001-05-27  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: cesar.da.silva, kernellist

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 10:27:09PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > * Service Location Protocol (SLP)

www.openslp.org

Regards

Ingo Oeser
--
To the systems programmer,
users and applications serve only to provide a test load.

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27  8:57   ` Dominik Kubla
From: Dominik Kubla @ 2001-05-27  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: cesar.da.silva, kernellist

Userspace: http://www.openslp.org/

> > * TCP/IP Gratuitous ARP (RFC 2002)
>
> not sure

Userspace. Also no tool comes to my mind, arping should be easily modified
to do this.

Dominik
--
          A lovely thing to see:                   Kobayashi Issa
     through the paper window's holes               (1763-1828)

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27 15:49 ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2001-05-27 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cesar.da.silva; +Cc: kernellist

On Sun, 27 May 2001, [iso-8859-1] Cesar Da Silva wrote:

> I am doing a thesis about comparing the Linux kernel
> against HP-UX, AIX, Tru64 UNIX, and Solaris (as you
> probably alredy know).
> I'm stuck now (and the thesis has to bee ready until
> tomorow)

Aren't you the same guy who posted this question last
week?

And the same guy who asked us to "fill in the blanks"
on an essentially EMPTY work? ;)

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/

Send all your spam to aardvark@nl.linux.org (spam digging piggy)

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27 15:55   ` Cesar Da Silva
From: Cesar Da Silva @ 2001-05-27 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rik van Riel; +Cc: linux-kernel

 --- Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> skrev: > On
Sun, 27 May 2001, [iso-8859-1] Cesar Da Silva
> wrote:
>
> > I am doing a thesis about comparing the Linux
> kernel
> > against HP-UX, AIX, Tru64 UNIX, and Solaris (as
> you
> > probably alredy know).
> > I'm stuck now (and the thesis has to bee ready
> until
> > tomorow)
>
> Aren't you the same guy who posted this question
> last
> week?
>
> And the same guy who asked us to "fill in the
> blanks"
> on an essentially EMPTY work? ;)

Yes, but this time I was more precise with what I
wanted help with (I included a list in the message),
and it helped, I got alot more responses this time.

Regards,
Cesar da Silva

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-05-27 17:21   ` Ville Herva
From: Ville Herva @ 2001-05-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: cesar.da.silva, kernellist

> > * Dynamic Memory Resilience
>
> RAM fault tolerance?  There was a patch a long time ago which detected
> bad ram, and would mark those memory clusters as unuseable at boot.
> However that is clearly not dynamic.

If you are referring to Badram patch by Rick van Rein
(http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/), it doesn't detect the bad ram,
memtest86 does that part (and does it well) -- you enter then enter the
badram clusters as boot param. But I have to say badram patch works
marvellously (thanks, Rick.) Shame it didn't find its way to standard
kernel.

-- v --

v@iki.fi

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
@ 2001-05-27 17:26     ` Cesar Da Silva
From: Cesar Da Silva @ 2001-05-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Herva; +Cc: kernellist

 --- Ville Herva <vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi>
skrev: > > > * Dynamic Memory Resilience

> > RAM fault tolerance?  There was a patch a long
> time ago which detected
> > bad ram, and would mark those memory clusters as
> unuseable at boot.
> > However that is clearly not dynamic.
>
> If you are referring to Badram patch by Rick van
> Rein
> (http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/), it doesn't
> detect the bad ram,
> memtest86 does that part (and does it well) -- you
> enter then enter the
> badram clusters as boot param. But I have to say
> badram patch works
> marvellously (thanks, Rick.) Shame it didn't find
> its way to standard
> kernel.

Hi Ville, and thanks for the great link and the
information.

Regards,
Cesar da Silva

* Re: Please help me fill in the blanks.
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-05-27 17:31   ` Cesar Da Silva
From: Cesar Da Silva @ 2001-05-27 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: kernellist

Thank you Jeff for your very helpfull answer.

 --- Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com> skrev: >
Cesar Da Silva wrote:

> > * Alternative I/O Pathing
>
> be less vague

What I mean with the above (my defenition) is:
[Alternative I/O Pathing allows the operating system
to re-route the I/O of devices, such as disk or
network adapters, to a backup device, in case of
failure.

Regards,
Cesar da Silva