* NULL characters in file on ReiserFS again.
@ 2001-05-31 11:33 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2001-05-31 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This happened to me yesterday on kernel-2.4.4-6mdk (Mandrake cooker, based
on 2.4.4-ac14), single reiser root filesystem, mounted with default options.
Hardware - ASUS CUSL2 (i815e chipset), Fujitsu UDMA-4 drive.

I tried to change hostname and did not have the corresponding entry in
/etc/hosts (or anywhere). As a tesult, startx hung starting X server; it was
not possible to switch to alpha console or kill X server. I pressed reset
and after reboot looked into /var/log/XFree86*log - and there were a bunch
of ^@ there.

I then run fsck from another system (installed on another partition) but
there was no errors (well, new errors - there was off-by-one free blocks
bitmap mismatch but it was always there, I do not know how to correct it). I
tried the above once more but this time XFree log was O.K.

So, I really do not know how to reproduce it, but I wanted to give a warning
that a problem still exists (albeit in emergency situation). As Reiser does
not do any fsck after crash, the problem is serious enough IMHO.

-andrej

[parent not found: <fa.kdp2rnv.1bma03f@ifi.uio.no>]