From: "Dieter Nützel" <Dieter.Nuetzel@hamburg.de>
To: Ognen Duzlevski <ognen@gene.pbi.nrc.ca>
Cc: Linux Kernel List <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: threading question (results after thread pooling)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:20:26 +0200	[thread overview]

> Hello,
>
> I have implemented thread pooling (with an environment variable
> where I can give the number of threads to be created). Results:
>
> 1. Linux, no change in the times (not under 2.2.x or 2.4)
[snip]
> I am now pretty much inclined to believe that it is either a) hardware
> issue (someone mentioned that SPARCs and MIPSes handle things differently)
> or b) Linux for some reason just cant give me what IRIX/Solaris can in
> this particular case
[snip]

Hello Ognen,

can you get your hands on an dual AMD Athlon MP 1/1.2 GHz system?
The only mobo currently on the marked is the AMD 760MP based Tyan Thunder K7.
It has (all) the good stuff (Point-to-Point bus, crossbar) which former only
the (big) Alphas/SUN/SGI etc. had.

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/server/athlon/index.html
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html

Regards,