* Kernel configuration.  It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
@ 2001-06-17  2:27 ` Eric S. Raymond
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-06-17  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CML2, kbuild-devel; +Cc: rick

Various people on the Linux kernel mailing list and elsewhere have been heard
to opine that CML2's user interface is too oriented towards nontechnical
users.  In response to these complaints, I have implemented a fourth CML2
front end with an interface style expressly designed for the serious,
hard-core hacker.  A transcript of an example session follows:

Welcome to CML2 Adventure, version 1.6.1.
You are in a maze of twisty little Linux kernel options menus, all different.
The main room.  A sign reads `Linux Kernel Configuration System'.
Passages lead off in all directions.

The arch room.  A sign reads `Processor type'.
A passage leads upwards.

Choose your processor architecture.
A brass lantern is here.
There is a row of buttons on the wall of this room. They read:
X86, ALPHA, SPARC32, SPARC64, MIPS32, MIPS64, PPC, M68K, ARM, SUPERH, IA64, PARISC, S390, S390X, CRIS
The button marked X86 is pressed.
> take lantern
Lantern: taken.
> look X86
Value of X86 is y.
This is Linux's home port.  Linux was originally native to the Intel
386, and runs on all the later x86 processors including the Intel
486, 586, Pentiums, and various instruction-set-compatible chips by
AMD, Cyrix, and others.
> up
In main room.
> nearby
The arch room.  A sign reads `Processor type'.
The archihacks room.  A sign reads `Architecture-specific hardware hacks'.
The buses room.  A sign reads `System buses and controller types'.
The pm room.  A sign reads `Power management'.
The mtd room.  A sign reads `Memory Technology Device (MTD) support'.
The x86 room.  A sign reads `Intel and compatible 80x86 processor options'.
The policy room.  A sign reads `Configuration policy options'.
The generic room.  A sign reads `Architecture-independent feature selections'.
The block_devices room.  A sign reads `Block devices'.

> go generic
The generic room.  A sign reads `Architecture-independent feature selections'.
A passage leads upwards.

There is an option named MODULES here.
There is an option named NET here.
There is an option named SYSVIPC here.
There is an option named BSD_PROCESS_ACCT here.
There is an option named SYSCTL here.
There is an option named BINFMT_AOUT here.
There is an option named BINFMT_MISC here.
There is an option named SMP here.
> take NET
NET: taken.
> take MODULES
Tristate symbols won't default to M.
MODULES: taken.
> up
In main room.
> nearby
The arch room.  A sign reads `Processor type'.
The archihacks room.  A sign reads `Architecture-specific hardware hacks'.
The buses room.  A sign reads `System buses and controller types'.
The pm room.  A sign reads `Power management'.
The mtd room.  A sign reads `Memory Technology Device (MTD) support'.
The x86 room.  A sign reads `Intel and compatible 80x86 processor options'.
The policy room.  A sign reads `Configuration policy options'.
The generic room.  A sign reads `Architecture-independent feature selections'.
The block_devices room.  A sign reads `Block devices'.

> go buses
The buses room.  A sign reads `System buses and controller types'.
A passage leads upwards.

Specify the buses, disk controllers, and internal interconnection standards
that you want your kernel to support.
It is very dark.  If you continue, you are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There is an option named EISA here.
There is an option named PCI here.
There is an option named PNP here.
There is an option named PARPORT here.
There is an option named HOTPLUG here.
There is an option named IDE here.
There is an option named SCSI here.
There is an option named USB here.
There is an option named I2O here.
There is an option named MTD here.
There is an option named WATCHDOG here.
> light lantern
The lantern radiates a mellow golden light.
> take PCI
PCI: taken.
> help
Welcome to the adventure configurator.  For a command summary, type `commands'.
In general, a three-letter abbreviation of any command word is sufficient
to identify it to the parser.

This interface emulates the style of classic text adventure games such as
Colossal Cave Adventure and Zork.  Configuration menus are rooms, and
configuration options are objects that can be taken and dropped (except
for choice/radiobutton symbols, which become buttons on various room walls).
Objects and rooms may silently appear and disappear as visibilities
change.

Have fun, and beware of the grues!

In main room.
> commands
look [target] -- look here or at target (direction or option).
nearby        -- list nearby rooms (useful with go)
go            -- go to a named menu (follow with the label).
inventory     -- show which options you have picked up.
drop          -- unset option.
take [module] -- set option, follow with option name.
press         -- press a button (follow with the button name).
set           -- set numeric or string; follow with symbol and value.
load          -- read in a configuration (follow with the filename).
save          -- save the configuration (follow with a filename).
xyzzy         -- toggle suppression flag.
quit          -- quit, discarding changes.
exit          -- exit, saving the configuration.
You can move in compass directions n,e,w,s,ne,nw,se,sw or dn for down.
> quit

What, then is law [government]? It is the collective organization of
the individual right to lawful defense."
	-- Frederic Bastiat, "The Law"

* Re: Kernel configuration.  It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
@ 2001-06-17  2:38   ` Robert Love
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Love @ 2001-06-17  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel, rick

On 16 Jun 2001 22:27:09 -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Various people on the Linux kernel mailing list and elsewhere have been heard
> to opine that CML2's user interface is too oriented towards nontechnical
> users.  In response to these complaints, I have implemented a fourth CML2
> front end with an interface style expressly designed for the serious,
> hard-core hacker.  A transcript of an example session follows:<snip>

don't you have some linux advocating to be doing? :)

_WAY_ too much time on your hands!

i could not, however, resist matching the original adventure games:

> take SCSI
It won't budge.
> take SCSI
Seriously, it is not going to move an inch.
> take SCSI
You try, but it won't move.
> take SCSI
It moves a little!
> take SCSI
SCSI: taken.

--
Robert M. Love
rml@ufl.edu

* Re: Kernel configuration. It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
@ 2001-06-17  2:57   ` Keith Owens
       [not found]   ` <20010617002138.A9374@whitestar.soark.net>
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-06-17  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:27:09 -0400,
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
>Welcome to CML2 Adventure, version 1.6.1.
>You are in a maze of twisty little Linux kernel options menus, all different.
>The main room.  A sign reads `Linux Kernel Configuration System'.

Sick, Eric, very, very sick!

ps.  Replace the grue with a mundie, much easier to kill.

* Re: Kernel configuration.  It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
@ 2001-06-17  3:05     ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-06-17  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Love; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel, rick

Robert Love <rml@ufl.edu>:
> _WAY_ too much time on your hands!

I wrote most of CML2 Adventure on a long airplane flight.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise
their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to
dismember it or overthrow it."	-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

* Re: Kernel configuration.  It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
@ 2001-06-17  3:40   ` Ingo Oeser
       [not found]   ` <20010617002138.A9374@whitestar.soark.net>
From: Ingo Oeser @ 2001-06-17  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond, CML2, kbuild-devel, rick

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 10:27:09PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > go buses
> The buses room.  A sign reads `System buses and controller types'.
> A passage leads upwards.
>
> Specify the buses, disk controllers, and internal interconnection standards
> that you want your kernel to support.
> It is very dark.  If you continue, you are likely to be eaten by a grue.
> There is an option named EISA here.
> There is an option named PCI here.
> There is an option named PNP here.
> There is an option named PARPORT here.
> There is an option named HOTPLUG here.

> take HOTPLUG
You can now plug, if you are hot enough.

SCNR, but a nice game indeed ;-)

Regards

Ingo Oeser
--
Use ReiserFS to get a faster fsck and Ext2 to fsck slowly and gently.

@ 2001-06-17  4:41     ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-06-17  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: warp; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel, rick

kernel@whitestar.soark.net <kernel@whitestar.soark.net>:
> I have to ask, is this something you wrote, or an actual log from
> something you wrote? (=:]

What?  Moi, perpetrate a trifling and crude hoax?  You wound me, sir,
by supposing I would ever stoop to such gaucherie.  It is so much more
*elegantly* absurd to actually write the program, is it not?

CML2 Adventure is part of the 1.6.1 release of CML2.  You can download
it from <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/> and try it out yourself.

Hoplophobia (n.): The irrational fear of weapons, correctly described by
Freud as "a sign of emotional and sexual immaturity".  Hoplophobia, like
homophobia, is a displacement symptom; hoplophobes fear their own
"forbidden" feelings and urges to commit violence.  This would be
harmless, except that they project these feelings onto others.  The
sequelae of this neurosis include irrational and dangerous behaviors
such as passing "gun-control" laws and trashing the Constitution.

* Re: Kernel configuration.  It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
@ 2001-06-17 10:37       ` Colonel
From: Colonel @ 2001-06-17 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In clouddancer.list.kernel, you wrote:

>kernel@whitestar.soark.net <kernel@whitestar.soark.net>:
>> I have to ask, is this something you wrote, or an actual log from
>> something you wrote? (=:]
>
>What?  Moi, perpetrate a trifling and crude hoax?  You wound me, sir,
>by supposing I would ever stoop to such gaucherie.  It is so much more
>*elegantly* absurd to actually write the program, is it not?
>
>CML2 Adventure is part of the 1.6.1 release of CML2.  You can download
>it from <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/> and try it out yourself.

It this doesn't get people to try CML2, nothing will.  I still
remember many years ago walking into the labs and hearing the graduate
students.  They were shouting stuff like "jump thru the window" and
"wave rod".  A roomful was engaged in solving "adventr", no useful
work was accomplished for 3+ days and close to a $100,000 in computer
dollars was spent after this virus ^h^h^h^h^h^h game appeared on the
mainframe.

I keep wondering if the Pirate was included....not to mention, "Witt's
End".

--My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You killed -9 my parent process.  Prepare to vi.

* Re: Kernel configuration. It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
@ 2001-06-18 14:01 ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-06-18 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne.Brown; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel, rick

Wayne.Brown@altec.com <Wayne.Brown@altec.com>:
> OK, Eric, you've finally done it.  You've bypassed my objections to
> CML2 and won me over.  I *have* to try it now.  :-)

Um.  It's all Rick Moen's fault.  Yeah, that's it.  His fault.  Yeah.

The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse
every time Congress meets
	-- Will Rogers

* Re: Kernel configuration. It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
@ 2001-06-18  4:48 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-06-18  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel, rick

OK, Eric, you've finally done it.  You've bypassed my objections to CML2 and won
me over.  I *have* to try it now.  :-)

Wayne