* 2.4 VM & swap question
@ 2001-06-17 17:48 Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2001-06-17 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

'lo all.  I've got a question about swap and RAM requirements in 2.4.  Now,
when 2.4.0 was kicked out, the fact that you need swap=2xRAM was mentioned.
But what I'm wondering is what exactly are the limits on this.  Right now
I've got an x86 box w/ 128ram and currently 256swap.  When I had 128, I'd get
low on ram/swap after some time in X, and doing this seems to 'fix' it, in
2.4.4.  However, I've also got 2 PPC boxes, both with 256:256 in 2.4.  One
of which never has X up, but lots of other activity, and swap usage seems
to be about the same as 2.2.x (right now 'free' says i'm ~40MB into swap,
18day+ uptime).  The other box is a laptop and has X up when it's awake and
that too doesn't seem to have any problem.  So what exactly is the real
minium swap ammount?

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

* Re: 2.4 VM & swap question
@ 2001-06-18 11:21 root
From: root @ 2001-06-18 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Regarding to the discussion on the swap size,

Recently, Rick van Riel posted a message that there is a bug
related to "reclaiming" the swap, and said that it is on his
TODO list.

If I believe it, the current trouble we have regarding to the swap
size is not because we do not have a sufficient size for the swap,
but because there is a bug, although Linus advised us to assign
2 times the physical memory for the swap.

I don't know.

Anyway, I am trying to put an extra 4GB hard disk on an Alpha UP2000 right now.

Regards,

Hugh