* mktime in include/linux
@ 2001-06-22  2:30 Rick Hohensee
From: Rick Hohensee @ 2001-06-22  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Why does Linux have a mktime routine fully coded in linux/time.h that
conflicts directly with the ANSI C standard library routine of the same
name? It breaks a couple things against libc5, including gcc 3.0. OK, you
don't care about libc5. It's still pretty weird. Wierd? Weird.

Rick Hohensee
www.cLIeNUX.com

:;d -d */
Cintpos/     boot/        device/      incoming/    owner/       temp/
Debian/      command/     floppy/      log/         source/
Linux/       configure/   guest/       lost+found/  subroutine/
NetBSD/      dev/         help/        mounts/      suite/
:; cLIeNUX /dev/tty12  22:00:52   /
:;

* Re: mktime in include/linux
@ 2001-06-22 11:43 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2001-06-22 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Hohensee; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:30:40PM -0400, Rick Hohensee wrote:
> Why does Linux have a mktime routine fully coded in linux/time.h that
> conflicts directly with the ANSI C standard library routine of the same
> name? It breaks a couple things against libc5, including gcc 3.0. OK, you
> don't care about libc5. It's still pretty weird. Wierd? Weird.

This has been brought up many times on this list: you are not supposed
to include kernel headers in userland.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* Re: mktime in include/linux
@ 2001-06-22 15:16 ` Jonathan Lundell
From: Jonathan Lundell @ 2001-06-22 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Mouw, Rick Hohensee; +Cc: linux-kernel

At 1:43 PM +0200 2001-06-22, Erik Mouw wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:30:40PM -0400, Rick Hohensee wrote:
>>  Why does Linux have a mktime routine fully coded in linux/time.h that
>>  conflicts directly with the ANSI C standard library routine of the same
>>  name? It breaks a couple things against libc5, including gcc 3.0. OK, you
>>  don't care about libc5. It's still pretty weird. Wierd? Weird.
>
>This has been brought up many times on this list: you are not supposed
>to include kernel headers in userland.

That's not the problem, I think. Most of time.h, including the
definition of mktime, is #ifdef __KERNEL__, so it shouldn't be
breaking anything in userland even if you do include it. And you
might, in order to obtain the interface definition of struct
timespec. What's weird is: why is __KERNEL__ getting #defined in
Rick's userland?

There can't, of course, be any blanket prohibition against using
kernel headers in userland. Think about ioctl.h, for example.
--
/Jonathan Lundell.

* Re: mktime in include/linux
@ 2001-06-22 16:49   ` Rick Hohensee
From: Rick Hohensee @ 2001-06-22 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Lundell; +Cc: linux-kernel

> At 1:43 PM +0200 2001-06-22, Erik Mouw wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:30:40PM -0400, Rick Hohensee wrote:
> >>  Why does Linux have a mktime routine fully coded in linux/time.h that
> >>  conflicts directly with the ANSI C standard library routine of the same
> >>  name? It breaks a couple things against libc5, including gcc 3.0. OK, you
> >>  don't care about libc5. It's still pretty weird. Wierd? Weird.
> >
> >This has been brought up many times on this list: you are not supposed
> >to include kernel headers in userland.
>
> That's not the problem, I think. Most of time.h, including the
> definition of mktime, is #ifdef __KERNEL__, so it shouldn't be
> breaking anything in userland even if you do include it. And you
> might, in order to obtain the interface definition of struct
> timespec. What's weird is: why is __KERNEL__ getting #defined in
> Rick's userland?
>
> There can't, of course, be any blanket prohibition against using
> kernel headers in userland. Think about ioctl.h, for example.

Sounds like a clue. Thanks.

Rick