* kernel still resides in the root
@ 2001-07-03  5:49 Blesson Paul
From: Blesson Paul @ 2001-07-03  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi
                I just completed the full compilation. But there is one still
missing factor. I uncommented the INSTALL_PATH=/boot. But still the vmlinux
still resides in the directory where i compiled the kernel. Why is it so. What
to do if the kernel should be present in the boot directory.
                  by
                        Blesson Paul

* Re: kernel still resides in the root
@ 2001-07-03 11:49 ` Mohammad A. Haque
From: Mohammad A. Haque @ 2001-07-03 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blesson Paul; +Cc: linux-kernel

Blesson Paul wrote:
>                 I just completed the full compilation. But there is one still
> missing factor. I uncommented the INSTALL_PATH=/boot. But still the vmlinux
> still resides in the directory where i compiled the kernel. Why is it so. What
> to do if the kernel should be present in the boot directory.

You did run make install? Do you have a custom install script in
/sbin/installkernel?

The vmlinux you see is the uncompressed kernel. If you compiled with
make bzImage, zImage, etc the resulting compressed kernel is at
arch/<your arch>/boot/. You then either run make install or
	cp ./System.map arch/<your arch>/boot/<kernel> /boot

Mohammad A. Haque                              http://www.haque.net/
                                               mhaque@haque.net

  "Alcohol and calculus don't mix.             Project Lead
   Don't drink and derive." --Unknown          http://wm.themes.org/
                                               batmanppc@themes.org