* squashing with knfsd
@ 2001-07-23 17:22 Ian Wehrman
From: Ian Wehrman @ 2001-07-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

hello all,
i was wondering if someone could confirm that the "all_squash" and "anongid"
keywords are functional in the 2.4 knfs daemon? i can't seem to get this to
work... my /etc/exports file looks like this:

/home bowman(rw,all_squash,anongid=501)

yet no gid mapping seems to be occuring. actually, no squashing of any sort
works (not even root_squash'ing to the nobody user). is there some trick to
this, uid mapping like this even supposed to work with knfsd?
any thoughts would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance,
ian wehrman

--
Labfire, Inc.
Seamless Technical Solutions

* Re: squashing with knfsd
@ 2001-07-24  9:47 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2001-07-24  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Monday July 23, ian@labfire.com wrote:
> hello all,
> i was wondering if someone could confirm that the "all_squash" and "anongid"
> keywords are functional in the 2.4 knfs daemon? i can't seem to get this to
> work... my /etc/exports file looks like this:
>
> /home bowman(rw,all_squash,anongid=501)
>
> yet no gid mapping seems to be occuring. actually, no squashing of any sort
> works (not even root_squash'ing to the nobody user). is there some trick to
> this, uid mapping like this even supposed to work with knfsd?
> any thoughts would be most appreciated.

It certainly should work (though I haven't tried it myself recently).

What makes you think that it doesn't?

Note: this doesn't do bi-directional uid/gid mapping.
The export line you have should mean that all access are performed as
though by uid  "-2" and gid "501".  The uid/gid in "ls" output will
still be whatever it is on the server.

NeilBrown