* Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics
@ 2001-07-27  8:58 Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-07-27  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

For those interested, I have run the kernel (2.4.2-2) through a program
and generated extensive HTML reports including call trees, function and
data declarations, source code, and metrics. I plan to upgrade this to
the latest kernel and keep it up to date (as much as possible :), but I
am a) working with a kernel that I know currently runs on my dual
Athlon, and b) wanted to test this out and run it by the two lists
first.

My bandwisth is currently limited (cable modem), but if it's decided
that I'll keep this available, I will upload it to a web server with a
couple T1's avalable (or maybe I will use one of our companies servers
on a DS3 or greater).

The URL is:

http://24.5.14.144:3000/linux-kernel

If you have any connection problems (and there may be, since it's
currently running on the same machine I'm using to develop with - the
dual Athlon), suggestions (even if it's "hey, dork, it's already
available at http://xxx.yyy"), or whatever, please let me know.

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer

* Re: Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics
@ 2001-07-27 12:52 ` Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2001-07-27 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
	kplug-list, kplug-lpsg

On Friday 27 July 2001 10:58, Paul G. Allen wrote:
> For those interested, I have run the kernel (2.4.2-2) through a
> program and generated extensive HTML reports including call trees,
> function and data declarations, source code, and metrics. I plan to
> upgrade this to the latest kernel and keep it up to date (as much as
> possible :), but I am a) working with a kernel that I know currently
> runs on my dual Athlon, and b) wanted to test this out and run it by
> the two lists first.
>
> My bandwisth is currently limited (cable modem), but if it's decided
> that I'll keep this available, I will upload it to a web server with
> a couple T1's avalable (or maybe I will use one of our companies
> servers on a DS3 or greater).
>
> The URL is:
>
> http://24.5.14.144:3000/linux-kernel
>
> If you have any connection problems (and there may be, since it's
> currently running on the same machine I'm using to develop with - the
> dual Athlon), suggestions (even if it's "hey, dork, it's already
> available at http://xxx.yyy"), or whatever, please let me know.

Nit 1: I'd prefer the following format for the data dictionary:

-m   (Local Object)[xref]
-   [wavelan_cs.c, 564]
-
+m  [xref] [wavelan_cs.c, 564] (Local Object)

I.e., three times as many entries on the screen and with the
constant-width part aligned.

Nit 2: You can drop the "Report" from the name of every section, we
know it's a report.

I'm continuing to explore this wonderful resource.  Do you intend to
GPL the source?

--
Daniel

* Re: Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics
@ 2001-07-27 13:08 ` Richard Gooch
From: Richard Gooch @ 2001-07-27 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Phillips
	kplug-list, kplug-lpsg

Daniel Phillips writes:
> On Friday 27 July 2001 10:58, Paul G. Allen wrote:
> > For those interested, I have run the kernel (2.4.2-2) through a
> > program and generated extensive HTML reports including call trees,
> > function and data declarations, source code, and metrics. I plan to
> > upgrade this to the latest kernel and keep it up to date (as much as
> > possible :), but I am a) working with a kernel that I know currently
> > runs on my dual Athlon, and b) wanted to test this out and run it by
> > the two lists first.
> >
> > My bandwisth is currently limited (cable modem), but if it's decided
> > that I'll keep this available, I will upload it to a web server with
> > a couple T1's avalable (or maybe I will use one of our companies
> > servers on a DS3 or greater).
> >
> > The URL is:
> >
> > http://24.5.14.144:3000/linux-kernel
> >
> > If you have any connection problems (and there may be, since it's
> > currently running on the same machine I'm using to develop with - the
> > dual Athlon), suggestions (even if it's "hey, dork, it's already
> > available at http://xxx.yyy"), or whatever, please let me know.

Hm. Interesting. But I note it has the devfsd source code in there as
well. That's definately not part of the kernel!

				Regards,

					Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current:   rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

* Re: Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics
@ 2001-07-27 20:40   ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-07-27 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Gooch wrote:

> Hm. Interesting. But I note it has the devfsd source code in there as
> well. That's definately not part of the kernel!
>
>                                 Regards,
>
>                                         Richard....
> Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
> Current:   rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca
> -

Answer to Daniel:

The program I used is a purchased product. So, no, it won't be GPL. I have no control over the contents of the reports other than addin/removing source
files/trees that are parsed and hand editing the generated HTML. Since there's over 1GB of HTML, the editing part is definetely out. :D

Answer to Richard:

I simply parsed the entire /usr/src/linux-2.4.2 tree (including the modules) and applicable gcc header files. I may have missed a few, I may have gotten a few
too many. Those that are more "in the know" than I can feed me info so I can correct the files/trees that are parsed.

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer

* Re: Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics
@ 2001-07-27 23:32     ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-07-27 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems my web server is being hammered pretty hard with accesses to this data. I have spoken to the powers that be here at Akamai and it's quite possible we
can make this data available in one of our high-bandwidth (gigabit) web pools next week.

If this happens, I'll update it to the latest source (whatever happens to be available at that time). If it doesn't, I'll update it anyway and just bite the
bullet and upload the data to a server with more bandwidth.

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer

* Re: Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics
@ 2001-07-28  1:33     ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-07-28  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please, no more wgets on my poor limited bandwidth (256Kbit uplink) web server. Next week I will have a fatter pipe and you can D/L the whole dir if you want.
(Though it would be better if you let me compress it and put it on a ftp server).

Thank you for your support. ;)

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer

* Re: Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics
@ 2001-07-28  0:20   ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-07-28  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Cox wrote:

> > If this happens, I'll update it to the latest source (whatever happens to be available at that time). If it doesn't, I'll update it anyway and just bite the
> > bullet and upload the data to a server with more bandwidth.
>
> bzip2 -9 is your friend for repetetive data 8)

Isn't that the truth, especially for this much text (I bet it'll compress real nice :)

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer

* Re: Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2001-07-27 23:46 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-07-27 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul G. Allen

@ 2001-07-27 11:47     ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-07-27 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> > > http://keroon.dmz.dreampark.com:3000/linux-kernel/
> > >
> > > Can't be found (DNS-Error)
>
> The problem is that the HTTP server on given IP address responds with
> its *name* in the URL. This means that $WEBBROWSER uses the name in
> its next connection attempt (-> load any given frame).
>
> So one has to add "24.5.14.144 keroon.dmz.dreampark.com" to /etc/hosts
> to use it...
>
> MfG, JBG

If I use MSIE 5.5, from an external connection, it fails with a DNS
error. If I use Netscape 4.76 from the same machine, it all works fine.

Like I said, everything worked fine before I switched to this router
from my Linux router (I had 2 web servers running, one on this port, and
one on the usual port 80.)

Note that the server name in httpd.conf is 24.5.14.144 (I checked when
someone mentioned it), not keroon. I also notice in the log that
(apparently) some folks have no trouble, and others do.

All in all, it would work just fine if I uploaded to an external server
with a public IP/hostname, but my question still stands: Is it worth it
(using a newer kernel version of course)? There is over 1GB of HTML here
(that would take a while to U/L even on a cable modem :)

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Network Security

@ 2001-07-27 11:18   ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2001-07-27 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2001-07-27 10:30 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2001-07-27 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Foerster; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Friday July 27, puckwork@madz.net wrote:
> Hi,

> > OK, try it now. (I really need another external IP/connection so I can
> > try these things out myself first :-)
>
> http://keroon.dmz.dreampark.com:3000/linux-kernel/
>
> Can't be found (DNS-Error)

Just add a slash.  Then the webserver wont ahve to do it for you:

@ 2001-07-27 10:26 ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-07-27 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

[SNIP]

> > OK, try it now. (I really need another external IP/connection so I can
> > try these things out myself first :-)
>
> http://keroon.dmz.dreampark.com:3000/linux-kernel/
>
> Can't be found (DNS-Error)

I connected using VPN into work (I made an external link) with my
laptop, and from there I was able to load the pages. Note that you MUST
use the IP, not the machine name as that name is a private hostname and
is not registered on the public Internet.

Dang, I really need a faster connection to my home. :)

PGA

--

@ 2001-07-27  9:53     ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-07-27  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paul G. Allen" wrote:

[SNIP]

> > That figures. I'm about ready, to give this router back to my company -
> > I've had nothing but trouble since I got it. Things worked better when I
> > just used a Linux firewall/router to do all my routing and forwarding.
> > Arrgg!!
> >
> > I'll see if I can make it listen to me and forward to the correct
> > internal IP and port. (that's the right port, but the wrong IP by far!
> > #8^)
> >

> OK, try it now. (I really need another external IP/connection so I can
> try these things out myself first :-)
>

>From what I see in my logs, I guess it's working now.

PGA

--