* Re: Busy inodes after umount
       [not found] <23D04BDBA646D411BDDD00D0B774B53902963BE8@SA-BWMAIL1>
@ 2001-07-19 23:53 ` Ragnar Kjørstad
From: Ragnar Kjørstad @ 2001-07-19 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian, Chip; +Cc: linux-xfs, linux-kernel

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 04:22:07PM -0400, Christian, Chip wrote:
> I found the same thing happening.  Tracked it down in our case to using fdisk to re-read disk size before mounting.  Replaced it with "blockdev --readpt" and the problem seems to have gone away.  YMMV.

I've now been able to reproduce:

* make a filesystem
* mount it
* export it (nfs)
* mount on remote machine
* lock file (fcntl)
* unexport
* unmount

Then you get the VFS message about self-destruct. Tested with both ext2
and xfs.

The lock is still present in /proc/locks after the umount.

With ext2 I can remount the filesystem successfully, but with XFS I get
the message about duplicate UUIDs and the mount failes. I believe this is a totally
different problem from the one you were experiencing. (and blockdev doesn't help for me)

I suppose this is a generic kernel bug?

--
Ragnar Kjorstad
Big Storage

> [root@ha2 /root]# mkfs -t xfs -f /dev/sdb1
> meta-data=/dev/sdb1              isize=256    agcount=51, agsize=262144
> blks
> data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=13305828,
> imaxpct=25
>          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
> naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
> log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=1624
> realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
> [root@ha2 /root]# mount -t xfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/raid/
> [root@ha2 /root]# umount /mnt/raid/
> [root@ha2 /root]# mount -t xfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/raid/
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>

> >From /var/log/messages:
> Jul 19 12:27:15 ha2 kernel: Start mounting filesystem: sd(8,17)
> Jul 19 12:27:16 ha2 kernel: Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem: sd(8,17)
> Jul 19 12:27:19 ha2 kernel: XFS unmount got error 16
> Jul 19 12:27:19 ha2 kernel: linvfs_put_super: vfsp/0xc2ff71e0 left dangling!
> Jul 19 12:27:19 ha2 kernel: VFS: Busy inodes after unmount.  Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...
> Jul 19 12:27:21 ha2 kernel: XFS: Filesystem has duplicate UUID - can't mount
>

> This happens on a shared storage cluster with two nodes. The same thing
> happens on both nodes. (I'm only using the device from one device at the
> time)
>
> linux-2.4.5 with XFS patch from 06112001.
>
> After a reboot it works again, and I have not been able to reproduce
> yet. It first happened when I was testing NFS locks, so it could be
> related to that.
>

> --
> Ragnar Kjorstad
> Big Storage

* Re: Busy inodes after umount
@ 2001-07-19 23:58   ` Matthew Jacob
From: Matthew Jacob @ 2001-07-19 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ragnar Kjørstad; +Cc: Christian, Chip, linux-xfs, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 1053 bytes --]

I reported this a couple of months back. It's reassuring to know that it's a
consistent problem.

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] Ragnar Kjørstad wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 04:22:07PM -0400, Christian, Chip wrote:
> > I found the same thing happening.  Tracked it down in our case to using fdisk to re-read disk size before mounting.  Replaced it with "blockdev --readpt" and the problem seems to have gone away.  YMMV.
>
> I've now been able to reproduce:
>
> * make a filesystem
> * mount it
> * export it (nfs)
> * mount on remote machine
> * lock file (fcntl)
> * unexport
> * unmount
>
> Then you get the VFS message about self-destruct. Tested with both ext2
> and xfs.
>
> The lock is still present in /proc/locks after the umount.
>
> With ext2 I can remount the filesystem successfully, but with XFS I get
> the message about duplicate UUIDs and the mount failes. I believe this is a totally
> different problem from the one you were experiencing. (and blockdev doesn't help for me)
>
> I suppose this is a generic kernel bug?

* Re: Busy inodes after umount
@ 2001-07-20  0:38     ` Tad Dolphay
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Tad Dolphay @ 2001-07-20  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mjacob; +Cc: Ragnar Kjørstad, Christian Chip, linux-xfs, linux-kernel

I know there was a fix for a "Busy inodes after unmount" problem in
2.4.6-pre3. Here's an excerpt from a posting to the NFS mailing list
from Neil Brown:

-------------Included message-----------------------
  Previously anonymous dentries were hashed (though with no name, the
  hash was pretty meaningless).  This meant that they would hang around
  after the last reference was dropped.  This was actually fairly
  pointless as they would never get referenced again, and caused a real
  problem as umount wouldn't discard them and so you got the message
                printk("VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. "
                        "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n");

  In 2.4.6-pre3 I stopped hashing those dentries so now when the last
  reference is dropped, the dentry is freed.  So now there will never be
  more anonymous dentries than there are active nfsd threads.
---------------end included message-------------------

Tad

@ 2001-07-20  0:49       ` Ragnar Kjørstad
From: Ragnar Kjørstad @ 2001-07-20  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tad Dolphay; +Cc: mjacob, Christian Chip, linux-xfs, linux-kernel

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 07:38:15PM -0500, Tad Dolphay wrote:
> I know there was a fix for a "Busy inodes after unmount" problem in
> 2.4.6-pre3. Here's an excerpt from a posting to the NFS mailing list
> from Neil Brown:

Thanks. I'll try that and see if that solves the problem (also the XFS
UUID problem).

--
Ragnar Kjorstad
Big Storage

* Re: Busy inodes after umount
@ 2001-07-31  0:15       ` Ragnar Kjørstad
From: Ragnar Kjørstad @ 2001-07-31  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tad Dolphay; +Cc: mjacob, Christian Chip, linux-xfs, linux-kernel, nfs

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 07:38:15PM -0500, Tad Dolphay wrote:
> > > I've now been able to reproduce:
> > >
> > > * make a filesystem
> > > * mount it
> > > * export it (nfs)
> > > * mount on remote machine
> > > * lock file (fcntl)
> > > * unexport
> > > * unmount
> > >
> > > Then you get the VFS message about self-destruct. Tested with both ext2
> > > and xfs.
> > >
> > > The lock is still present in /proc/locks after the umount.
> > >
> > > With ext2 I can remount the filesystem successfully, but with XFS I get
> > > the message about duplicate UUIDs and the mount failes. I believe this is a totally
> > > different problem from the one you were experiencing. (and blockdev doesn't help for me)
> > >
> > > I suppose this is a generic kernel bug?
>
> I know there was a fix for a "Busy inodes after unmount" problem in
> 2.4.6-pre3. Here's an excerpt from a posting to the NFS mailing list
> from Neil Brown:
>
> -------------Included message-----------------------
>   Previously anonymous dentries were hashed (though with no name, the
>   hash was pretty meaningless).  This meant that they would hang around
>   after the last reference was dropped.  This was actually fairly
>   pointless as they would never get referenced again, and caused a real
>   problem as umount wouldn't discard them and so you got the message
>                 printk("VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. "
>                         "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n");
>
>   In 2.4.6-pre3 I stopped hashing those dentries so now when the last
>   reference is dropped, the dentry is freed.  So now there will never be
>   more anonymous dentries than there are active nfsd threads.
> ---------------end included message-------------------

I just tested with 2.4.7, and the problem remains.

--
Ragnar Kjorstad
Big Storage

* Re: Busy inodes after umount
@ 2001-08-01  8:18       ` Tony Gale
From: Tony Gale @ 2001-08-01  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ragnar Kjørstad
  Cc: Tad Dolphay, mjacob, Christian Chip, linux-xfs, linux-kernel, nfs

Do you have any other patches in your kernel, such as grsecurity?

-tony

On 31 Jul 2001 02:15:47 +0200, Ragnar Kjørstad wrote:

> > I know there was a fix for a "Busy inodes after unmount" problem in
> > 2.4.6-pre3. Here's an excerpt from a posting to the NFS mailing list
> > from Neil Brown:
> >
> > -------------Included message-----------------------
> >   Previously anonymous dentries were hashed (though with no name, the
> >   hash was pretty meaningless).  This meant that they would hang around
> >   after the last reference was dropped.  This was actually fairly
> >   pointless as they would never get referenced again, and caused a real
> >   problem as umount wouldn't discard them and so you got the message
> >                 printk("VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. "
> >                         "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n");
> >
> >   In 2.4.6-pre3 I stopped hashing those dentries so now when the last
> >   reference is dropped, the dentry is freed.  So now there will never be
> >   more anonymous dentries than there are active nfsd threads.
> > ---------------end included message-------------------
>
> I just tested with 2.4.7, and the problem remains.
>

> --
> Ragnar Kjorstad
> Big Storage

* Re: Busy inodes after umount
@ 2001-08-01 18:05         ` Ragnar Kjørstad
From: Ragnar Kjørstad @ 2001-08-01 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Gale
  Cc: Tad Dolphay, mjacob, Christian Chip, linux-xfs, linux-kernel, nfs

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:18:40AM +0100, Tony Gale wrote:
> Do you have any other patches in your kernel, such as grsecurity?

The only patch I have is the xfs patch.

--
Ragnar Kjorstad
Big Storage

* Re: Busy inodes after umount
@ 2001-08-01 18:30           ` Steve Lord
From: Steve Lord @ 2001-08-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ragnar Kjørstad
  Cc: Tony Gale, Tad Dolphay, mjacob, Christian Chip, linux-xfs,
	linux-kernel, nfs

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:18:40AM +0100, Tony Gale wrote:
> > Do you have any other patches in your kernel, such as grsecurity?
>
> The only patch I have is the xfs patch.

I thought Trond pointed to a patch on linux-kernel this morning:

The NLM lock reclaiming code in the stock 2.4.x kernel is
incomplete. Please apply the patch on

   http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/2.4.7/linux-2.4.7-reclaim.dif

Cheers,
   Trond

Steve

> --
> Ragnar Kjorstad
> Big Storage

* Re: Busy inodes after umount
@ 2001-08-02 11:34         ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2001-08-02 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ragnar Kjørstad
  Cc: Tad Dolphay, mjacob, Christian Chip, linux-xfs, linux-kernel, nfs

On Tuesday July 31, xfs@ragnark.vestdata.no wrote:
> [...]

Yep.  It is not filesystem specific.
nfsd does not flush locks when a filesystem is un-exported, only when
a client is removed, and that actually never happens.
In fs/nfsd/lockd.c there is a comment:

/*
 * When removing an NFS client entry, notify lockd that it is gone.
 * FIXME: We should do the same when unexporting an NFS volume.
 */

That FIXME needs to be fixed.  I need to read through some more code
before I am sure how to do it, but it shouldn't be too hard.

NeilBrown