* RE: link status changes forwarded to userspace?
@ 2001-08-03 20:50 Leif Sawyer
From: Leif Sawyer @ 2001-08-03 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Guyett, Anders Eriksson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Justin Guyett [justin@soze.net] responded to:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Anders Eriksson wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to get the link status change (e.g. eth
>> cable inserted in card) forwarded to userspace?
>
> mii-tool does it (comes with net-tools).

This works great for pci-based 10/100 cards, however when I
try it on my 10-meg only ISA-3c509 (eth[0-1]) and PCI-de4x5 (eth2):

mii-diag eth[0-2]
SIOCGMIIPHY on eth[0-2] failed: operation not supported

so probably there's more to it than just using mii-diag..

* Re: link status changes forwarded to userspace?
@ 2001-08-03 21:10 ` Anders Eriksson
From: Anders Eriksson @ 2001-08-03 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leif Sawyer; +Cc: Justin Guyett, linux-kernel

mii-tools works for me (eepro100 & 3c59x). Now if there were a 'run as daemon
and call this script on change' option... Time to do some hacking...

/A

* Re: link status changes forwarded to userspace?
@ 2001-08-03 20:06   ` Justin Guyett
From: Justin Guyett @ 2001-08-03 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Eriksson; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Anders Eriksson wrote:

> Is it possible to get the link status change (e.g. eth cable inserted in card)
> forwarded to userspace? I'd be cool to auto trigger dhcp on connect and
> silently skip the interface if no cable during boot.

you can get the link status from userspace, and that should be enough to
skip no-link interfaces during boot.  mii-tool does it (comes with
net-tools).

justin

* link status changes forwarded to userspace?
@ 2001-08-03 19:58 ` Anders Eriksson
From: Anders Eriksson @ 2001-08-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,
Is it possible to get the link status change (e.g. eth cable inserted in card)
forwarded to userspace? I'd be cool to auto trigger dhcp on connect and
silently skip the interface if no cable during boot.

/Anders