* RBEM56G-100 card
@ 2001-08-03 18:08 Manolis Perakakis
From: Manolis Perakakis @ 2001-08-03 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi ,
i saw your reply at :

http://lists.kernelnotes.de/linux-kernel/Week-of-Mon-20010604/009141.html

concerning RBEM56G-100 card. I 've found many
conflicting sources of information. Some people say
this card works perfect for them. It seems that every
cs_pcmcia or kernel version has an impact on this.

I want to purchase a laptop with that card, but most
sources of information i 've found don't recomend that
specific card,

see :
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS
	[ Not recommended: support is experimental and
unreliable ]
	IBM EtherJet CardBus with 56K Modem
	Xircom RBEM56G-100BTX, CBEM56G-100BTX, R2BEM56G-100

The same is stated at Xircom's Linux Page
http://www.xircom.com/cda/page/0,1298,0-0-1_20-476,00.html

So, would you still recomend the purchase of such a
card? (I wouldn't hesitate for REM56G-100BTX but
laptop comes with RBEM56G allready!)

I am thinking of using RH7.1 on the laptop.

Can you give me some info ??

Thanks

Manolis

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

* Re: RBEM56G-100 card
@ 2001-08-03 18:42 ` Chris Wedgwood
From: Chris Wedgwood @ 2001-08-03 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manolis Perakakis; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:08:44AM -0700, Manolis Perakakis wrote:

    So, would you still recomend the purchase of such a card? (I
    wouldn't hesitate for REM56G-100BTX but laptop comes with RBEM56G
    allready!)

Don't buy Xircom.

Xircom has be swallowed by Intel, who have a funny attitude when it
comes to helping linux especially with networking products.  I have
Xircom cards at present, and they more-or-less work, but I certainly
won't buy another.

  --cw

* Re: RBEM56G-100 card
@ 2001-08-05 19:30 ` Ion Badulescu
From: Ion Badulescu @ 2001-08-05 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manolis Perakakis; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:08:44 -0700 (PDT), Manolis Perakakis <perakakis@yahoo.com> wrote:

> see :
> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS
>        [ Not recommended: support is experimental and
> unreliable ]
>        IBM EtherJet CardBus with 56K Modem
>        Xircom RBEM56G-100BTX, CBEM56G-100BTX, R2BEM56G-100
>
> The same is stated at Xircom's Linux Page
> http://www.xircom.com/cda/page/0,1298,0-0-1_20-476,00.html
>
> So, would you still recomend the purchase of such a
> card? (I wouldn't hesitate for REM56G-100BTX but
> laptop comes with RBEM56G allready!)

Not really. The card works all right with my latest development
driver (not yet in 2.4.x), but *only* in half-duplex mode. We
don't have enough information to make full-duplex work correctly.

The card also has a rather suboptimal design. It accepts only
32-bit aligned buffers for Tx, which forces the driver to memcpy
all the Tx packets into new (and properly aligned) buffers.

So, basically, avoid this card if you have a choice.

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.