* Problems in using loadLin
@ 2001-08-06 14:20 ` chen, xiangping
From: chen, xiangping @ 2001-08-06 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'lermen@fgan.de'; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

I am trying to use loadlin to boot up a machine. But after I
replaced the bzImage, the kernel fails to boot up. It prints
out error messages like:
	VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
	Freeing unused kernel memory : 96K freed
	Warning: unable to open an initial console
	Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

The boot.bat file is:
	loadlin.exe bzImage ro root=0x0821

Thanks,

Xiangping

* Re: Problems in using loadLin
@ 2001-08-06 16:58   ` Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
From: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams @ 2001-08-06 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, chen, xiangping wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use loadlin to boot up a machine. But after I
> replaced the bzImage, the kernel fails to boot up. It prints
> out error messages like:
> 	VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
> 	Freeing unused kernel memory : 96K freed
> 	Warning: unable to open an initial console
> 	Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
>
> The boot.bat file is:
> 	loadlin.exe bzImage ro root=0x0821
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xiangping

0x0821 represents /dev/sdc1. Did you build the SCSI driver into the kernel, or
do use an initrd?

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio@openservices.net>

* Re: Problems in using loadLin
@ 2001-08-07  3:04   ` hugang
From: hugang @ 2001-08-07  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chen_xiangping; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-08-06 16:59 chen, xiangping
From: chen, xiangping @ 2001-08-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams', linux-kernel

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I found the problem. The first kernel
image doesn't probe multiple luns, while the second one does.
So the devno of the root filesystem changes. I built the driver
into the kernel, so I did not use the initrd.

There is another problem with loadLin for > 2.4.2 kernel.
It seems that I could not use dev names to specify root
filesystem. Say if the boot.bat is like:
	loadlin.exe bzImage ro root=/dev/sdc1

The kernel fails to boot due to null ptr error.

-