* question on best "Linux" Internals book
@ 2001-08-10  6:35 Rob
From: Rob @ 2001-08-10  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Please CC me.
I am posting to this mailing list since it is Development related and it
isnt a HOWTO question.

I am looking for a book that is similar to The Design of the UNIX Operating
System by Maurice J. Bach but also for the Linux OS.  Is this book still
relevant to Linux even thought it isnt the "same"?  I have heard bad reviews
of Linux Internals by Moshe Bar and was wondering what would be a better
book for the deep internals of the OS....not exactly going over the code.

Rob Wideman, rwideman@austin.rr.com

* Re: question on best "Linux" Internals book
@ 2001-08-10  7:34 ` Ragnar Kjørstad
From: Ragnar Kjørstad @ 2001-08-10  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:35:29AM -0500, Rob wrote:
> I am looking for a book that is similar to The Design of the UNIX Operating
> System by Maurice J. Bach but also for the Linux OS.  Is this book still
> relevant to Linux even thought it isnt the "same"?  I have heard bad reviews
> of Linux Internals by Moshe Bar and was wondering what would be a better
> book for the deep internals of the OS....not exactly going over the code.

I liked the "Linux device drivers" book. There is a new addition out,
more information at: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive2/

--
Ragnar Kjorstad
Big Storage

* Re: question on best "Linux" Internals book
@ 2001-08-10  8:55   ` robert w hall
From: robert w hall @ 2001-08-10  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <20010810093452.G9277@vestdata.no>, Ragnar Kjørstad
<kernel@ragnark.vestdata.no> writes
>On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:35:29AM -0500, Rob wrote:
>> I am looking for a book that is similar to The Design of the UNIX Operating
>> System by Maurice J. Bach but also for the Linux OS.  Is this book still
>> relevant to Linux even thought it isnt the "same"?  I have heard bad reviews
>> of Linux Internals by Moshe Bar and was wondering what would be a better
>> book for the deep internals of the OS....not exactly going over the code.
>
>I liked the "Linux device drivers" book. There is a new addition out,
>more information at: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive2/

obvious book is Bovet & Cesati 'Understanding the Linux Kernel' O'Reilly
2001 - (it claims it even got by Alan Cox for checking... :-))
--
robert w hall

* Re: question on best "Linux" Internals book
@ 2001-08-10 15:13     ` Mr. James W. Laferriere
From: Mr. James W. Laferriere @ 2001-08-10 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert w hall; +Cc: linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 1675 bytes --]

	Hello Robert ,  Is the one you are speaking about published
	Oct-2000 ?  Or is yours a newer edition ?  Tia ,  JimL

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, robert w hall wrote:

> In article <20010810093452.G9277@vestdata.no>, Ragnar Kjørstad
> <kernel@ragnark.vestdata.no> writes
> >On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:35:29AM -0500, Rob wrote:
> >> I am looking for a book that is similar to The Design of the UNIX Operating
> >> System by Maurice J. Bach but also for the Linux OS.  Is this book still
> >> relevant to Linux even thought it isnt the "same"?  I have heard bad reviews
> >> of Linux Internals by Moshe Bar and was wondering what would be a better
> >> book for the deep internals of the OS....not exactly going over the code.
> >
> >I liked the "Linux device drivers" book. There is a new addition out,
> >more information at: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive2/
> >

> obvious book is Bovet & Cesati 'Understanding the Linux Kernel' O'Reilly
> 2001 - (it claims it even got by Alan Cox for checking... :-))
> --
> robert w hall
> -

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr@baby-dragons.com | Coudersport PA 16915 |   only  on  AXP |

* Re[2]: question on best "Linux" Internals book
@ 2001-08-10 15:21       ` s0mbre
From: s0mbre @ 2001-08-10 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr. James W. Laferriere; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello.

MJWL>         Hello Robert ,  Is the one you are speaking about published
MJWL>         Oct-2000 ?  Or is yours a newer edition ?  Tia ,  JimL

This book was lished about 1-2 month ago.

---
WBR. //s0mbre

* question on best "Linux" Internals book - Bovet & Cesati
@ 2001-08-10 17:29         ` robert w hall
From: robert w hall @ 2001-08-10 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <14806.010810@2ka.mipt.ru>, s0mbre <johnpol@2ka.mipt.ru>
writes
>Hello.
>
>MJWL>         Hello Robert ,  Is the one you are speaking about published
>MJWL>         Oct-2000 ?  Or is yours a newer edition ?  Tia ,  JimL
>
>This book was lished about 1-2 month ago.

The fly-leaf says
January 2001 First Edition
ISBN 0-596-00002-2

I think it may have been hanging around in script for a bit -
the  2nd edition of Tanenbaum's 'Modern Operating Systems' (also 2001)
has it referenced  as '2000'

Bob

--
robert w hall

* Re: question on best "Linux" Internals book - Bovet & Cesati
@ 2001-08-10 19:30           ` Mr. James W. Laferriere
From: Mr. James W. Laferriere @ 2001-08-10 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert w hall; +Cc: linux-kernel

	Hello Robert , Hmmm, Very interesting .  O'Reilly has it as
	Oct. 2000 & first edition .  Should be one in the same tho .
		Tnx ,  JimL

@ 2001-08-10 20:00 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2001-08-10 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:35:29AM -0500, Rob wrote:
> Please CC me.
> I am posting to this mailing list since it is Development related and it
> isnt a HOWTO question.

See the "Recommended books list" on kernelnewbies.org:

  http://www.kernelnewbies.org/books.php3

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* Re: question on best "Linux" Internals book
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2001-08-10  9:28 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-10  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert w hall; +Cc: linux-kernel

> obvious book is Bovet & Cesati 'Understanding the Linux Kernel' O'Reill=
> 2001 - (it claims it even got by Alan Cox for checking... :-))

It did 8) If you want to understand the kernel its a good book. If your boss
just ordered you to write a Linux device driver then device drivers is the
book you want.

UtLK has a slightly textbookish air about it, but providing that doesn't
bother you its a very good book