* Can I have a serial display output and a kbd PS/2 input?
@ 2001-08-10 12:04 Frank Torres
From: Frank Torres @ 2001-08-10 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel (Lista Correo)

Sorry to be insistent in this point, but perhaps requesting the problem this
way someone figures out what I am trying to do.
The display is already configured and sending getty line from inittab waits
for an input from serial so it doesn't work.
Any other ideas? This is my last try.

Thanks in advance
Frank again.

* Re: Can I have a serial display output and a kbd PS/2 input?
@ 2001-08-10 13:23 ` Miquel van Smoorenburg
From: Miquel van Smoorenburg @ 2001-08-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <001b01c12194$a34a3370$66011ec0@frank>,
Frank Torres <frank@ingecom.net> wrote:
>Sorry to be insistent in this point, but perhaps requesting the problem this
>way someone figures out what I am trying to do.
>The display is already configured and sending getty line from inittab waits
>for an input from serial so it doesn't work.
>Any other ideas? This is my last try.

If you want /dev/console to behave so that it sends output to the
serial device yet takes input from the PC keyboard, no, that cannot
be done. Right now /dev/console can be associated with only one
device for both input and output at the same time.

Output from kernel printk's does go to all console devices though.

Mike.
--
"dselect has a user interface which scares small children"
	-- Theodore Tso, on debian-devel

* Re: Can I have a serial display output and a kbd PS/2 input?
@ 2001-08-10 14:49 ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2001-08-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel (Lista Correo)

On Fri, 2001-08-10 14:04:37 +0200, Frank Torres <frank@ingecom.net>
wrote in message <001b01c12194$a34a3370$66011ec0@frank>:
> Sorry to be insistent in this point, but perhaps requesting the problem this
> way someone figures out what I am trying to do.
> The display is already configured and sending getty line from inittab waits
> for an input from serial so it doesn't work.
> Any other ideas? This is my last try.

I think something like "console=ttyS1 console=tty0" should do.

This (as boot parameters) means: "output to all defined consoles
and input from tty0" as your keyboard is connected to tty0.

MfG, JBG

* Re: Can I have a serial display output and a kbd PS/2 input?
@ 2001-08-10 16:03   ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2001-08-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel (Lista Correo)

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 04:49:59PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> I think something like "console=ttyS1 console=tty0" should do.
>
> This (as boot parameters) means: "output to all defined consoles
> and input from tty0" as your keyboard is connected to tty0.

No, you're missing his point.

He wants a getty (not only kernel console) to take input from the
keyboard, and output through a serial port, which can't be done
presently.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux

* Re: Can I have a serial display output and a kbd PS/2 input?
@ 2001-08-10 21:22   ` Dr. Kelsey Hudson
From: Dr. Kelsey Hudson @ 2001-08-10 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <001b01c12194$a34a3370$66011ec0@frank>,
> Frank Torres <frank@ingecom.net> wrote:
> >Sorry to be insistent in this point, but perhaps requesting the problem this
> >way someone figures out what I am trying to do.
> >The display is already configured and sending getty line from inittab waits
> >for an input from serial so it doesn't work.
> >Any other ideas? This is my last try.
>
> If you want /dev/console to behave so that it sends output to the
> serial device yet takes input from the PC keyboard, no, that cannot
> be done. Right now /dev/console can be associated with only one
> device for both input and output at the same time.
>
> Output from kernel printk's does go to all console devices though.

Well, as a sleightly more expensive solution, you could build a Sun
keyboard to serial adapter. Somewhere on the SuSE webpage there is
instructions on how to do this. IIRC, the keyboard only uses the RxD pin
on the serial port so you would be free to use the TxD pin for your serial
LCD.

The schematic can be had here:
http://www.suse.cz/development/input/adapters

good luck, and hope this is of some use to you.

 Kelsey Hudson                                           khudson@ctica.com
 Software Engineer
 Compendium Technologies, Inc                               (619) 725-0771

* Re: Can I have a serial display output and a kbd PS/2 input?
@ 2001-08-13  8:19     ` Frank Torres
From: Frank Torres @ 2001-08-13  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Kelsey Hudson; +Cc: Linux-Kernel (Lista Correo)

Just to say thanks all folks. I was insisting on the same point you
explained to me. In spite of that I needed confirmation; any. It would be
interesting anyway to develop a console which could have the input and the
output from/to diferent devices.
Now I'll have to make one of the consoles to login automatically (I'm trying
the qlogin program) and then my next step will be to develop a small set of
functions to give aplications programmers an easy way to control some
devices like this display. So far I've been writing some modules with the
archiknown vi, but know I'll have to write a lot of code. Any IDE suggested?
I downloaded the RHIDE. Is it good? I haven't tested it yet.

Thanks all again.
Frank

@ 2001-08-15  7:49     ` Vojtech Pavlik
From: Vojtech Pavlik @ 2001-08-15  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Kelsey Hudson; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:22:17PM -0700, Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>
> > In article <001b01c12194$a34a3370$66011ec0@frank>,
> > Frank Torres <frank@ingecom.net> wrote:
> > >Sorry to be insistent in this point, but perhaps requesting the problem this
> > >way someone figures out what I am trying to do.
> > >The display is already configured and sending getty line from inittab waits
> > >for an input from serial so it doesn't work.
> > >Any other ideas? This is my last try.
> >
> > If you want /dev/console to behave so that it sends output to the
> > serial device yet takes input from the PC keyboard, no, that cannot
> > be done. Right now /dev/console can be associated with only one
> > device for both input and output at the same time.
> >
> > Output from kernel printk's does go to all console devices though.
>
> Well, as a sleightly more expensive solution, you could build a Sun
> keyboard to serial adapter. Somewhere on the SuSE webpage there is
> instructions on how to do this. IIRC, the keyboard only uses the RxD pin
> on the serial port so you would be free to use the TxD pin for your serial
> LCD.
>
> The schematic can be had here:
> http://www.suse.cz/development/input/adapters
>
> good luck, and hope this is of some use to you.

Yes, but this won't work either, because the keyboard doesn't send
ASCII.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs