* Info about /dev/kmem required
@ 2001-08-17 13:59 Milind
From: Milind @ 2001-08-17 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: blore-linux

Hi all

I wanted some info about ' /dev/kmem ' file with respect to following

1)  What this file contains?

2)  Who  writes into this file?

All I have found is that 'dmesg' will read from this file and display
system information.

Reply at the earliest.

Thanks
Milind

* Re: Info about /dev/kmem required
@ 2001-08-17 21:57 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2001-08-17 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milind; +Cc: linux-kernel, blore-linux

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 07:29:08PM +0530, Milind wrote:
> I wanted some info about ' /dev/kmem ' file with respect to following
>
> 1)  What this file contains?

>From Documentation/devices.txt:

  1 char        Memory devices
                  1 = /dev/mem          Physical memory access
                  2 = /dev/kmem         Kernel virtual memory access

> 2)  Who  writes into this file?

Normally nobody does, though it can be used to patch up a running
system (in theory).

> Reply at the earliest.

I'm sorry, we're not a helpdesk.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* Re: Info about /dev/kmem required
@ 2001-08-20 18:21   ` Frank Neuber
From: Frank Neuber @ 2001-08-20 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Mouw; +Cc: Milind, linux-kernel, blore-linux

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 05:57:39PM -0400, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 07:29:08PM +0530, Milind wrote:
> > I wanted some info about ' /dev/kmem ' file with respect to following
> >
> > 1)  What this file contains?
>
> >From Documentation/devices.txt:
>
>   1 char        Memory devices
>                   1 = /dev/mem          Physical memory access
>                   2 = /dev/kmem         Kernel virtual memory access
>
> > 2)  Who  writes into this file?
>
> Normally nobody does, though it can be used to patch up a running
> system (in theory).
>
> > Reply at the earliest.
>
> I'm sorry, we're not a helpdesk.

I think You can use /dev/kmem as an corefile for gdb. So it is possible to debug
the linux kernel (of course read only :-)).

 Frank
--
Dipl.-Ing. Elektrotechnik     convergence integrated media gmbh / HW
Frank Neuber                        Rosenthalerstr.51 / 10178 Berlin

* Re: Info about /dev/kmem required
@ 2001-08-21 12:35       ` Frank Neuber
From: Frank Neuber @ 2001-08-21 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Mouw; +Cc: Milind, linux-kernel

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 02:39:54PM +0200, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 08:21:08PM +0200, Frank Neuber wrote:
> > I think You can use /dev/kmem as an corefile for gdb. So it is
> > possible to debug the linux kernel (of course read only :-)).
>
> No, that's what /proc/kcore is for.
You are right!! Sorry it was my mistake.
 Frank

--

@ 2001-08-21 12:39     ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2001-08-21 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)