* PDC20265 RAID signature
@ 2001-08-23  7:45 Tim Hockin
From: Tim Hockin @ 2001-08-23  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andre; +Cc: linux-kernel

Andre or anyone,

Do you happen to know where the Promise "raid" controllers store the RAID
signature?  My crappy BIOS will only let me make a 2 disk array and 2x 1 disk
arrays.  I really would like 4 1 disk arrays so windows and Linux see the
same data, or 1 4 disk array...

anyone?

* Re: PDC20265 RAID signature
@ 2001-08-23  8:14 ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2001-08-23  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Hockin; +Cc: linux-kernel

Tim Hockin wrote:

> Andre or anyone,
>
> Do you happen to know where the Promise "raid" controllers store the RAID
> signature?  My crappy BIOS will only let me make a 2 disk array and 2x 1 disk
> arrays.  I really would like 4 1 disk arrays so windows and Linux see the
> same data, or 1 4 disk array...

see http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/pdcraid/

* Re: PDC20265 RAID signature
@ 2001-08-23 16:06   ` Tim Hockin
From: Tim Hockin @ 2001-08-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arjanv; +Cc: Tim Hockin, linux-kernel

> > Do you happen to know where the Promise "raid" controllers store the RAID
> > signature?  My crappy BIOS will only let me make a 2 disk array and 2x 1 disk
> > arrays.  I really would like 4 1 disk arrays so windows and Linux see the
> > same data, or 1 4 disk array...
>
> see http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/pdcraid/

Thanks for the pointer!

Is there any reason to use this RAID over the md RAID layer?  This still
doesn't help me convince my BIOS to create a 4-disk array.  It will only
create a 2 disk array..

Tim

* Re: PDC20265 RAID signature
@ 2001-08-23 17:53     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-23 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Hockin; +Cc: arjanv, Tim Hockin, linux-kernel

> Is there any reason to use this RAID over the md RAID layer?  This still
> doesn't help me convince my BIOS to create a 4-disk array.  It will only
> create a 2 disk array..

As far as I can tell the drive array limits are wired into the bios, and
used to distinguish different product lines.

Alan