* APM on a HP Omnibook XE3
@ 2001-08-30 12:37 Robert Szentmihalyi
From: Robert Szentmihalyi @ 2001-08-30 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi!

Sorry if this is OT.
I'm not sure if this is a kernel issue, but I'm running out of
ideas on this....

I have a HP Omnibook XE3 with SuSE Linux 7.2 installed.
Everything works fine except suspend-to-disk.
(I have created the partition. It works under Winblows...)
I have tried Kernels 2.4.4 and 2.4.7 (with SuSE patches) as well as
2.4.9 vanilla, but I keep getting the same messages:
When I do
	apm -s
I get
	apm: Input/output error
and the Kernel log says:
apm: suspend: Unable to enter requested state

Any ideas what I could do?

TIA,
 Robert

* Re: APM on a HP Omnibook XE3
@ 2001-10-10 10:01 ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2001-10-10 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Szentmihalyi; +Cc: linux-kernel

robert> Hi!
robert> Sorry if this is OT.
robert> I'm not sure if this is a kernel issue, but I'm running out of
robert> ideas on this....

robert> I have a HP Omnibook XE3 with SuSE Linux 7.2 installed.
robert> Everything works fine except suspend-to-disk.
robert> (I have created the partition. It works under Winblows...)
robert> I have tried Kernels 2.4.4 and 2.4.7 (with SuSE patches) as well as
robert> 2.4.9 vanilla, but I keep getting the same messages:
robert> When I do
robert> apm -s
robert> I get
robert> apm: Input/output error
robert> and the Kernel log says:
robert> apm: suspend: Unable to enter requested state

robert> Any ideas what I could do?

For me Fn+F12 works.
apm -s & apm -S fails.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy

* Re: APM on a HP Omnibook XE3
@ 2001-10-10 14:02   ` Chmouel Boudjnah
From: Chmouel Boudjnah @ 2001-10-10 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: Robert Szentmihalyi, linux-kernel

Juan Quintela <quintela@mandrakesoft.com> writes:

> robert> Hi!
> robert> Sorry if this is OT.
> robert> I'm not sure if this is a kernel issue, but I'm running out of
> robert> ideas on this....
>
> robert> I have a HP Omnibook XE3 with SuSE Linux 7.2 installed.
> robert> Everything works fine except suspend-to-disk.
> robert> (I have created the partition. It works under Winblows...)
> robert> I have tried Kernels 2.4.4 and 2.4.7 (with SuSE patches) as well as
> robert> 2.4.9 vanilla, but I keep getting the same messages:
> robert> When I do
> robert> apm -s
> robert> I get
> robert> apm: Input/output error
> robert> and the Kernel log says:
> robert> apm: suspend: Unable to enter requested state
>

> robert> Any ideas what I could do?
>
> For me Fn+F12 works.
> apm -s & apm -S fails.

works only if you have a suspend-on-disk partition.

* Re: APM on a HP Omnibook XE3
@ 2001-10-10 17:36     ` Robert Szentmihalyi
From: Robert Szentmihalyi @ 2001-10-10 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chmouel Boudjnah, Juan Quintela; +Cc: linux-kernel

Am Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2001 16:02 schrieb Chmouel Boudjnah:

> > robert> Hi!
> > robert> Sorry if this is OT.
> > robert> I'm not sure if this is a kernel issue, but I'm running
> > out of robert> ideas on this....
> >
> > robert> I have a HP Omnibook XE3 with SuSE Linux 7.2 installed.
> > robert> Everything works fine except suspend-to-disk.
> > robert> (I have created the partition. It works under
> > Winblows...) robert> I have tried Kernels 2.4.4 and 2.4.7 (with
> > SuSE patches) as well as robert> 2.4.9 vanilla, but I keep
> > getting the same messages: robert> When I do
> > robert> apm -s
> > robert> I get
> > robert> apm: Input/output error
> > robert> and the Kernel log says:
> > robert> apm: suspend: Unable to enter requested state
> >

> > robert> Any ideas what I could do?
> >
> > For me Fn+F12 works.
unfortunately not for me....
> > apm -s & apm -S fails.
>
> works only if you have a suspend-on-disk partition.
I have created one with lphdisk and it works under Win2k...

The HP support people say the new omnibook BIOS is not APM
compilant any more.
ACPI only...

Suspend-to-disk with API is not yet supported and I can't use
software suspend because of reiserfs

I guess I have to wait for proper hibernation support with ACPI....

--
Where do you want to be tomorrow?

Entracom. Building Linux systems.
http://www.entracom.de

* Re: APM on a HP Omnibook XE3
@ 2001-10-10 18:54       ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2001-10-10 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Szentmihalyi; +Cc: Chmouel Boudjnah, linux-kernel

>> > For me Fn+F12 works.
robert> unfortunately not for me....

You need to have a partition created with the recovery CD, it don't
work if you create it with normal fdisk (and it will destroy your data
in the disk, do a backup first).

z>> > apm -s & apm -S fails.

>> works only if you have a suspend-on-disk partition.
robert> I have created one with lphdisk and it works under Win2k...

robert> The HP support people say the new omnibook BIOS is not APM
robert> compilant any more.

I have the omnibook lastest BIOS as end of July, it will work only
with Fn+F12.  I don't remind the version, can check when rebooting.

robert> ACPI only...

robert> Suspend-to-disk with API is not yet supported and I can't use
robert> software suspend because of reiserfs

robert> I guess I have to wait for proper hibernation support with ACPI....

I am also waiting for it, as I can not suspend to RAM, but suspend to
disk is working nicely here (what is an advantage while waiting).

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy

* Re: APM on a HP Omnibook XE3
@ 2001-10-10 19:59     ` Enrico Scholz
From: Enrico Scholz @ 2001-10-10 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

chmouel@mandrakesoft.com (Chmouel Boudjnah) writes:

> > robert> I have a HP Omnibook XE3 with SuSE Linux 7.2 installed.
> > robert> Everything works fine except suspend-to-disk.
> > [...]
> > robert> Any ideas what I could do?
> >
> > For me Fn+F12 works.
> > apm -s & apm -S fails.
>
> works only if you have a suspend-on-disk partition.

lphdisk can create such a partition for you (or the tool coming on the
HP CD deleting the entire drive).

I have made the experience that hibernation stops to work when GRUB was
installed into the bootsector. When installing it into the MBR all
things are fine and Fn+F12 suspends to disk. (I have heard reports
about a Dell Inspiron 4000, where the opposite situation is the case)

If you have installed the bootloader on hdaX already, you can try to
overwrite the first 512 byte with \0 (yes; it's a dangerous operation).

Enrico

* Re: APM on a HP Omnibook XE3
@ 2001-10-11 17:48         ` Robert Szentmihalyi
From: Robert Szentmihalyi @ 2001-10-11 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: Chmouel Boudjnah, linux-kernel

Am Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2001 20:54 schrieb Juan Quintela:

> robert> unfortunately not for me....
>
> You need to have a partition created with the recovery CD, it
> don't work if you create it with normal fdisk (and it will
> destroy your data in the disk, do a backup first).

I have created the hibernation partition with lphdisk and it works
under Windows 2000, so I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

> z>> > apm -s & apm -S fails.
>
> >> works only if you have a suspend-on-disk partition.
>
> robert> I have created one with lphdisk and it works under
> Win2k...
>
> robert> The HP support people say the new omnibook BIOS is not
> APM robert> compilant any more.
>
> I have the omnibook lastest BIOS as end of July, it will work
> only with Fn+F12.  I don't remind the version, can check when
> rebooting.

Mine reports:
PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
HP OMNIBOOK XE3 BIOS Revision GC.M1.63

Could you check yours?
I'd be really interested...

> robert> ACPI only...
>
> robert> Suspend-to-disk with API is not yet supported and I can't
> use robert> software suspend because of reiserfs
>
> robert> I guess I have to wait for proper hibernation support
> with ACPI....
>
> I am also waiting for it, as I can not suspend to RAM, but
> suspend to disk is working nicely here (what is an advantage
> while waiting).
>
> Later, Juan.

so long,
 Robert