* is bzImage container large enough?
@ 2001-09-01 16:28 Samium Gromoff
From: Samium Gromoff @ 2001-09-01 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

      If one wanting to turn on virtually every kernel CONFIG_* option
  in order to check if the kernel compiles and then report possible
  gcc errors to lkml, will the resulting kernel fit the bzImage format?
  Will the bootup be possible?

  thanks in advance...

cheers,
 Sam

* Re: is bzImage container large enough?
@ 2001-09-01 20:29 ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-09-01 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samium Gromoff; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 16:28:06 +0000 (UTC),
Samium Gromoff <_deepfire@mail.ru> wrote:
>      If one wanting to turn on virtually every kernel CONFIG_* option
>  in order to check if the kernel compiles and then report possible
>  gcc errors to lkml, will the resulting kernel fit the bzImage format?

No, it is far too big.

BTW, if you want to test compiles against various combinations of
config, there are kbuild patches that add make allyes, make allno, make
allmod and make randconfig.  Included in separate mail.

* Re: is bzImage container large enough?
@ 2001-09-01 20:41   ` Tom Gall
From: Tom Gall @ 2001-09-01 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samium Gromoff; +Cc: linux-kernel

Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 16:28:06 +0000 (UTC),
> Samium Gromoff <_deepfire@mail.ru> wrote:
> >      If one wanting to turn on virtually every kernel CONFIG_* option
> >  in order to check if the kernel compiles and then report possible
> >  gcc errors to lkml, will the resulting kernel fit the bzImage format?
>
> No, it is far too big.

We just "fixed" this sort of problem for ppc64 the other day. Course we
don't use bzImages but rather zImages but none the less it was still
anoying since we can boot zImages over the network and
of course that makes it quite reasonable to blow past the 1.44
floppy limitation. The bug we fixed was that an uncompressed
kernel could only be up to 4 meg in size, if it was larger, at
uncompression time you'd just lose everything past the 4M mark.
Todd Inglett raised the limit to 8 meg for us, and that's a mighty
large penguin....

Regards,

Tom

--
Tom Gall - PPC64 Code Monkey  "Where's the ka-boom? There was
Linux Technology Center           supposed to be an earth

* Re: is bzImage container large enough?
@ 2001-09-01 20:42   ` Mike Castle
From: Mike Castle @ 2001-09-01 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 06:29:41AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> allmod and make randconfig.  Included in separate mail.

randconfig?

This scares me.   :->

Btw, are such things independent of CML being used?  Was wondering if a
"randconfig" might use CML2 to validate the configuration (as far as CML2
knows about it).  _Might_ be useful to enhance CML2 to track down
incompatible configurations.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/

* Re: is bzImage container large enough?
@ 2001-09-01 20:49     ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-09-01 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Castle; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 13:42:29 -0700,
Mike Castle <dalgoda@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 06:29:41AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
>> allmod and make randconfig.  Included in separate mail.
>
>randconfig?
>
>This scares me.   :->

The config is random but valid, it passes the CML1 validation checks.
randconfig is useful for finding errors in the CML1 checks, it also
finds errors in code which assume that a feature is always present.

>Btw, are such things independent of CML being used?  Was wondering if a
>"randconfig" might use CML2 to validate the configuration (as far as CML2
>knows about it).  _Might_ be useful to enhance CML2 to track down
>incompatible configurations.

At the moment, randconfig, allyes, allno, allmod only work for CML1.
Doing randconfig in CML2 is awkward, it may be added later.

* Re: is bzImage container large enough?
@ 2001-09-01 23:49     ` Anton Blanchard
From: Anton Blanchard @ 2001-09-01 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Gall; +Cc: Samium Gromoff, linux-kernel

> The bug we fixed was that an uncompressed
> kernel could only be up to 4 meg in size, if it was larger, at
> uncompression time you'd just lose everything past the 4M mark.
> Todd Inglett raised the limit to 8 meg for us, and that's a mighty
> large penguin....

Computing the size at link time is neater and this is what he actually
does.

Anton