* Reg lilo.conf changed and system doesn't boot
@ 2001-09-07 17:57 SATHISH.J
From: SATHISH.J @ 2001-09-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, linux-kernel

Hi,
I know that this is not the place to ask this question.Please forgive me.
I changed the lilo.conf on my machine(redhat 2.2.14-12 kernel) and it
doesn't boot up. I don't have
a boot floppy to boot. I have another disk which has an older version of
linux(2.2.6). I can mount the disk if I boot from the other
disk(2.2.6). Can I
in some way alter the lilo.conf of my disk(2.2.14) and boot linux from
that. Please tell me any ideas to do that.

Thanks in advance,
Warm regards,
satishj

* Re: Reg lilo.conf changed and system doesn't boot
@ 2001-09-07 22:26 ` Frank Schneider
From: Frank Schneider @ 2001-09-07 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SATHISH.J; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-kernel

"SATHISH.J" schrieb:

> Hi,
> I know that this is not the place to ask this question.Please forgive me.
> I changed the lilo.conf on my machine(redhat 2.2.14-12 kernel) and it
> doesn't boot up. I don't have
> a boot floppy to boot. I have another disk which has an older version of
> linux(2.2.6). I can mount the disk if I boot from the other
> disk(2.2.6). Can I
> in some way alter the lilo.conf of my disk(2.2.14) and boot linux from
> that. Please tell me any ideas to do that.

Hello..

Seems you have installed a new kernel and not called lilo before
reboot...

I would suggest one of these two ways:

-Boot from your older hdd and mount the new one, e.g. under /mnt/test.
Call lilo, but give him the configfile from your new hdd, it should ly
under /mnt/test/etc/lilo.conf, if you have mounted your new, defective
linux under /mnt/test: "lilo -C /mnt/test/etc/lilo.conf
Before, check that your lilo.conf is correct!
(I have to admit that i' ve never tried this myself)

-Boot from your older hdd and use the distro-tools to produce an
"emergency repair disk", e.g. "mkbootdisk" under RedHat or "yast" under
SuSE. Use this repairdisk to boot the defective linux-installation,
check /etc/lilo.conf and call lilo.

And one hint:
It is always a good idea to have a bootdisk on hand...:-)

Solong..
Frank.

--
Frank Schneider, <SPATZ1@T-ONLINE.DE>.
Microsoft isn't the answer.

* Re: Reg lilo.conf changed and system doesn't boot
@ 2001-09-07 22:36 ` Brian Gerst
From: Brian Gerst @ 2001-09-07 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SATHISH.J; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-kernel

"SATHISH.J" wrote:

> Hi,
> I know that this is not the place to ask this question.Please forgive me.
> I changed the lilo.conf on my machine(redhat 2.2.14-12 kernel) and it
> doesn't boot up. I don't have
> a boot floppy to boot. I have another disk which has an older version of
> linux(2.2.6). I can mount the disk if I boot from the other
> disk(2.2.6). Can I
> in some way alter the lilo.conf of my disk(2.2.14) and boot linux from
> that. Please tell me any ideas to do that.

Boot your 2.2.6 disk, and make a boot floppy from that.  Put in the
original disk and boot from the floppy.  Check your lilo.conf and rerun
lilo.

--

						Brian Gerst

* Re: Reg lilo.conf changed and system doesn't boot
@ 2001-09-09  5:14   ` SATHISH.J
From: SATHISH.J @ 2001-09-09  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Gerst; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-kernel

Hi,
Thanks fot the suggestion.
I tried that but it panics. Will I be able to change anything inside the
boot floppy after it has been made with 2.2.6 kernel so that I can boot
2.2.14.

Warm regs,
sathish

@ 2001-09-10  1:02     ` Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2001-09-10  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SATHISH.J, Brian Gerst; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-kernel

On September 9, 2001 07:14 am, SATHISH.J wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks fot the suggestion.
> I tried that but it panics. Will I be able to change anything inside the
> boot floppy after it has been made with 2.2.6 kernel so that I can boot
> 2.2.14.

Usually the easiest thing to do is boot from any install CD and hit
Ctrl-Alt-F1, which will give you a command prompt.  Then you can mount your
hard disk, edit /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo, something like this:

  mkdir /a                 # a convenient mount point on the CD's ramdisk
  mount /dev/hda? /a       # Change "?" to the number of your root partition
  ls /a                    # you should see bin, usr, etc.
  mcedit /a/etc/lilo.conf  # fix your configuration
  lilo -r /a               # rerun lilo, chrooting to your disk first
                           # take out the CD and reboot

Caveat: I've never tried this myself.  Take a look at the lilo docs to see
some examples of how your lilo.conf should look.

If you need further help you should consider joining an irc channel, for
example, irc.openprojects.net #linpeople

Linux kernel mailing list isn't the right place to ask this kind of
question.

--
Daniel