* ext2 -> reiserfs conversion?
@ 2001-08-29 14:44 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-08-29 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

hi all

does any of you know if there are any plans to create an ext22reiserfs
utility?

please cc: to me, as I'm not on the list

regards

roy

* Re: ext2 -> reiserfs conversion?
@ 2001-08-29 17:41 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-08-29 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Aug 29, 2001  16:44 +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> does any of you know if there are any plans to create an ext22reiserfs
> utility?

It is probably more dangerous and difficult than it is worth.  Use a
backup/restore, that way you also have a backup in case there is a
problem with the conversion.

Since you would ALWAYS do a backup before performing such an operation
(right????) then doing the restore to the newly formatted reiserfs
partition would probably take less time than any kind of conversion
would take (and be a LOT more robust, as well as doing a "defrag"),
so you are way better off to do it that way.

Cheers, Andreas

* Re: ext2 -> reiserfs conversion?
@ 2001-08-29 17:42 ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2001-08-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk; +Cc: linux-kernel

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> hi all
>
> does any of you know if there are any plans to create an ext22reiserfs
> utility?
>
> please cc: to me, as I'm not on the list
>
> regards
>
> roy
>
> -
Sorry, limited funds means tar is your only solution.

Hans

* Re: ext2 -> reiserfs conversion?
@ 2001-08-29 18:04   ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2001-08-29 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Dilger; +Cc: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, linux-kernel

Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2001  16:44 +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > does any of you know if there are any plans to create an ext22reiserfs
> > utility?
>
> It is probably more dangerous and difficult than it is worth.  Use a
> backup/restore, that way you also have a backup in case there is a
> problem with the conversion.
>
> Since you would ALWAYS do a backup before performing such an operation
> (right????) then doing the restore to the newly formatted reiserfs
> partition would probably take less time than any kind of conversion
> would take (and be a LOT more robust, as well as doing a "defrag"),
> so you are way better off to do it that way.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger  \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
>                  \  would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"
> http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/               -- Dogbert
>
> -

Yes, it was the fear of a long debugging cycle that made me decide that tar over
VFS was the most reliable conversion method, and to not attempt to do more.  If
someone was to write a tar plus resize based script, that might be reliable, and
I would be interested to see it.

Hans

* Re: ext2 -> reiserfs conversion?
@ 2001-09-05 15:36   ` Dr. Kelsey Hudson
From: Dr. Kelsey Hudson @ 2001-09-05 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Reiser; +Cc: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, linux-kernel

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Hans Reiser wrote:

> Sorry, limited funds means tar is your only solution.

but what about 'find' and 'cpio'? those work too :)

 Kelsey Hudson                                           khudson@ctica.com
 Software Engineer
 Compendium Technologies, Inc                               (619) 725-0771

* Re: ext2 -> reiserfs conversion?
@ 2001-09-12 23:07     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2001-09-12 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Kelsey Hudson, Hans Reiser; +Cc: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, linux-kernel, jack

Hi!

> > Sorry, limited funds means tar is your only solution.
>
> but what about 'find' and 'cpio'? those work too :)

There was project called "partition surprise" that could convert ext2
to fat. I'm not sure if it can handle ext2->reiser...
								Pavel
--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss@linmodems.org

* Re: ext2 -> reiserfs conversion?
@ 2001-09-14  7:47       ` Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2001-09-14  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Dr. Kelsey Hudson, Hans Reiser, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, linux-kernel

  Hello,

> > > Sorry, limited funds means tar is your only solution.
> >
> > but what about 'find' and 'cpio'? those work too :)
>
> There was project called "partition surprise" that could convert ext2
> to fat. I'm not sure if it can handle ext2->reiser...
  No, PS doesn't support ext2->reiser conversion.

							Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SuSE Labs