* Re: Kernel Module / Patch with implements "sshfs"
@ 2001-11-12  7:59 Thomas Foerster
From: Thomas Foerster @ 2001-11-12  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

> A simpler way is to use the kio_fish
> And since it is KDE all KDE programs will be able to use it :-)
> (To be sure I tried to create a file with advanced editor and save it
>  remote - it worked! :-)

Seems nice, but the problem is :

I'm not using X :)

What i want to do is :

Mount our external Webserver from our internal Administration Server via 100MBit LAN
connection.

Thanx,
  Thomas

* Re: Kernel Module / Patch with implements "sshfs"
@ 2001-11-12 22:15 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2001-11-12 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Foerster; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> > A simpler way is to use the kio_fish
> > And since it is KDE all KDE programs will be able to use it :-)
> > (To be sure I tried to create a file with advanced editor and save it
> >  remote - it worked! :-)
>
> Seems nice, but the problem is :
>
> I'm not using X :)
>
> What i want to do is :
>
> Mount our external Webserver from our internal Administration Server via 100MBit LAN
> connection.

Install uservfs(.sf.net), then cd /overlay/#sh:user@host/.
								Pavel
--
STOP THE WAR! Someone killed innocent Americans. That does not give
U.S. right to kill people in Afganistan.

* Re: Kernel Module / Patch with implements "sshfs"
@ 2001-11-12 23:45   ` Roger Larsson
From: Roger Larsson @ 2001-11-12 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek, Thomas Foerster; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Monday 12 November 2001 23:15, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > A simpler way is to use the kio_fish
> > > And since it is KDE all KDE programs will be able to use it :-)
> > > (To be sure I tried to create a file with advanced editor and save it
> > >  remote - it worked! :-)
> >
> > Seems nice, but the problem is :
> >
> > I'm not using X :)
> >
> > What i want to do is :
> >
> > Mount our external Webserver from our internal Administration Server via
> > 100MBit LAN connection.
>
> Install uservfs(.sf.net), then cd /overlay/#sh:user@host/.
> 								Pavel

Does all X programs support # in filename?

And how do you enter the password?
(Especially if you are using it from an X program.)
I guess you like to avoid entering it on the command line...

But I agree in principe - all kio slaves should really be uservfs slaves...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå

* Re: Kernel Module / Patch with implements "sshfs"
@ 2001-11-13  9:44     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2001-11-13  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Larsson; +Cc: Thomas Foerster, linux-kernel

Hi!

> > > Mount our external Webserver from our internal Administration Server via
> > > 100MBit LAN connection.
> >
> > Install uservfs(.sf.net), then cd /overlay/#sh:user@host/.
> > 								Pavel
>

> Does all X programs support # in filename?

If they don't, they are broken.

> And how do you enter the password?

For now, only RSA autentication is supported. You can enter inside
path for ftp, but no it is not the best solution.

> (Especially if you are using it from an X program.)
> I guess you like to avoid entering it on the command line...
>
> But I agree in principe - all kio slaves should really be uservfs slaves...

								Pavel
--
Casualities in World Trade Center: 6453 dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.

* Re: Kernel Module / Patch with implements "sshfs"
@ 2001-11-12 12:42     ` Mr. James W. Laferriere
From: Mr. James W. Laferriere @ 2001-11-12 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Roger Larsson, Thomas Foerster, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 1592 bytes --]

	Hello Pavel ,  Does uservfs support encryption without /dev/loop ?
		Tia ,  JImL

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > A simpler way is to use the kio_fish
> >  http://apps.kde.com/na/2/info/id/1331
> > (I had problem with compiling this under SuSE 7.1 but with
> > SuSE 7.3 there were no problems)
> >
> > You browsing will look like:
> >  fish://192.168.9.99/home/
> > compare with
> >  ftp://ftp.kernel.org/
> >
> > And since it is KDE all KDE programs will be able to use it :-)
> > (To be sure I tried to create a file with advanced editor and save it
> >  remote - it worked! :-)
> >
> > KDE port done by: Jörg Walter
> > Originally for mc by: Pavel Machek
>
> And if you use uservfs (.sourceforge.net), all programs can do
> that. As good as if it was kernelspace, but it stays userland.
> 								Pavel
>
> --
> STOP THE WAR! Someone killed innocent Americans. That does not give
> U.S. right to kill people in Afganistan.
>

> -

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr@baby-dragons.com | Coudersport PA 16915 |   only  on  AXP |

* Re: Kernel Module / Patch with implements "sshfs"
@ 2001-11-12  0:38   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2001-11-12  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Larsson; +Cc: Thomas Foerster, linux-kernel

@ 2001-11-11  0:38 ` Roger Larsson
From: Roger Larsson @ 2001-11-11  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Foerster, linux-kernel

On Friday 09 November 2001 16:26, Thomas Foerster wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i came across the idea to mount a remote filesystem via SSH[1|2].
>
> I've seen a free program for Windows that implements parts of what i'm
> thinking of.
>
> Does someone know about a kernel module/patch to implement a "sshfs" ?
> (to be used with mount)
>
> What i want to do is to mount my webserver (external ip) from an internal
> system (internal ip).
>
> Thanks,
>   Thomas
>
> -

Roger Larsson
Skellefteå
Sweden

* Re: Kernel Module / Patch with implements "sshfs"
@ 2001-11-10 22:03 ` Mike Fedyk
From: Mike Fedyk @ 2001-11-10 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Foerster; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 04:26:07PM +0100, Thomas Foerster wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i came across the idea to mount a remote filesystem via SSH[1|2].
>
> I've seen a free program for Windows that implements parts of what i'm
> thinking of.
>
> Does someone know about a kernel module/patch to implement a "sshfs" ?
> (to be used with mount)
>
> What i want to do is to mount my webserver (external ip) from an internal
> system (internal ip).

Check out freeswan (www.freeswan.org).  It adds IPsec support to the linux
kernel.

Once you have a tunnel setup with IPsec, you can use nfs, or whatever other
network file system over the internet safely...

Mike

* Kernel Module / Patch with implements "sshfs"
@ 2001-11-09 15:26 Thomas Foerster