* Changing subsystem priorities
@ 2002-03-05 21:51 Michael T. Babcock
From: Michael T. Babcock @ 2002-03-05 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I was looking at the performance of one of my systems the other day and
realised that it was often slowed by processes requesting disk I/O
while other (often unrelated) processes were waiting to send network
packets.  For the sake of thinking out loud, would it be possible to
allow priority changes on a subsystem basis within the kernel?  That is
to say, either tell the kernel that handling disk io is less important
than handling network io (or vice versa) or perhaps that processes
waiting for disk io be given their timeslices a little 'later' so that
other non-disk-bound processes get a few more?  I understand that this
is entirely based on the priorities I have for one sserver but other
people may wish to accomplish similar things with different priorities.
 Is this type of scheduler adjustment possible or even desirable?

For what its worth, the system in question is running 2.2.20 until I
find stable drivers for my DPT SmartRaid V controller for 2.4.x.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)

* RE: Changing subsystem priorities
@ 2002-03-07 18:00 Bonds, Deanna
From: Bonds, Deanna @ 2002-03-07 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael T. Babcock', linux-kernel

A little off topic, but since I am the maintainer of the dpt_i2o driver,
what do you find unstable about the 2.4.* version.  It has been through our
qualification several times and is now imbedded in the kernel.  If you know
of any instability please let me know so I can fix it.

Deanna