* Problems with smp kernels on alpha
@ 2002-05-15 18:15 Santiago Garcia Mantinan
From: Santiago Garcia Mantinan @ 2002-05-15 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi!

I've been trying to get a Digital Server 5305 to run a SMP kernel, but I was
unsucessful till now, the machine runs 2.2.20 or 2.4.18 UP perfectly, but
crashes rigt after booting or when booting whenever I tri the SMP versions
of this kernels. This is what /proc/cpuinfo says about the machine:

cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : EV56
cpu variation           : 7
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       :
system type             : Rawhide
system variation        : 0
system revision         : 0
system serial number    : AY92103084
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 531914893
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1200.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 40
max. addr. space #      : 127
BogoMIPS                : 923.40
kernel unaligned acc    : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc      : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
platform string         : DIGITAL Server 5000 Model 5305 6533A 5/533 4MB
cpus detected           : 2

I have tried Debian smp kernel 2.2.20 (generic cpu) and a custom 2.4.18
kernel (using generic and then rawhide) and cpu allways crashes, las time I
saw it crash I copied this:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0000000000000000000
cpu 0 swapper(0): Oops 0

then it outputs the registers, then trace and code and then...

Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In idle tak - not syncing

Well, I know this doesn't show a thing, but I'm new to alpha so I don't know
what to look at, if someone is willing to help on this I'll try to do
whatever tests are needed to provide more info.

Thanks in advance...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-05-15 18:15 UTC | newest]