* Linux crypto?
@ 2002-05-22 18:03 Myrddin Ambrosius
From: Myrddin Ambrosius @ 2002-05-22 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I noticed that Motorola has published a set of tech
docs for their S1-range of crypto co-processors, which
look pretty comprehensive. (The 190 looks to be a very
nice chip, which -as best as I can tell- just plugs
straight onto a PCI bus.) Other co-pro manufacturers
(such as HIFN) seem to also have humungous tech
manuals for their crypto chips.

Is anyone working on drivers for these beasties?

Alongside that, I also noticed that many manufacturers
(again, Motorola and HIFN seem to top the list)
working on network accelerator chips - some h/w
L2/L3/L4 queueing/filtering, rudimentary packet
mangling, etc. Linux already has most of the
interesting stuff from the chips I've looked at, and
in most places is way more advanced in what it can do/
Given the ipfilter design, would there be any way to
use those chips as an additional networking layer?
(And, just as importantly, would there be any point?)

Secondly, I've taken a look at the "International
Kernel Patch" for Linux. I have finally found a
(fairly) mainstream kernel patch that is updated less
frequently than my own FOLK patch! Also, nobody seems
to use it. Packages that use crypto seem to steer
towards openssl, rsa-ref, mcrypt/mhash/gcrypt, gnutls,
and/or or private implementations. Even FreeS/WAN and
USAGI take no advantage of anything in the IKP.

Ignoring, for a second, the US export laws (which are
no longer an issue, anyway), is there some fundamental
reason why the IKP seems to be ignored? If there is,
then does anyone know of any re-design/re-write
effort?

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

* Re: Linux crypto?
@ 2002-05-28 18:28 James Yonan
From: James Yonan @ 2002-05-28 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> > > IPsec.
> >
> > At the moment there doesn't appear to be an IPsec stack we can merge
however

> what about freeswan - with some cleanups?

I'd like to propose that network crypto can be handled well in user-space.

There are quite a few user-space options now for secure tunneling of IP or
ethernet.  I am personally a developer on the OpenVPN project, but there
are quite a few others including VTun, cipe, and tinc.  I know that
OpenVPN and VTun take advantage of the Universal TUN/TAP driver which has
been in the official kernel since 2.4.6 or so, which lets user-space
programs control a virtual point-to-point IP link or virtual ethernet
adapter.  While not explicitly a crypto-enabler, the TUN/TAP driver nicely
imposes a modularization on secure tunneling daemons -- the bulk of the
code including crypto lives in user-space and the kernel component is
reduced to a small virtual network driver that talks to user-space rather
than hardware -- and which hopefully is sufficiently generic that it
doesn't fall into the class of crypto-enabling infrastructure with respect
to export-control regulations.  Running in userspace confers a number of
other benefits such as:

1. the daemon is easily portable beyond Linux to any platform that
supports a tun driver (such as OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris).
IPSec implementations tend to be OS-specific,

2. the daemon can use portable user-space libraries such as OpenSSL to
handle the crypto, taking advantage of the SSL/TLS protocol and the X509
PKI,

3. the daemon can tunnel over UDP (IPSec uses IP protocols 50 and 51 which
are often blocked by broadband ISPs),

4. the daemon can tunnel through NAT gateways (IPSec doesn't like NAT),
and

5. the daemon can transparently tunnel or bridge non-IP protocols or any
protocol which can be represented as an ethernet frame.

The downside of course is that a user-space implementation will be slower.
It's also difficult to achieve IPSec compliance, because user-space
tunneling daemons want to use an application-level protocol over UDP --
user-space is not the right place to implement a protocol stack.

But the upside is that the secure tunneling daemons are available now,
the better ones are robust, secure, and portable, they don't require
embedding any crypto or crypto hooks in the kernel, and they work
with most out-of-the-box 2.4 distributions without needing any external
kernel modules.

James Yonan
OpenVPN Developer
http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/