* VM wierdness in 2.5.25
@ 2002-07-19 20:19 Dan Merillat
From: Dan Merillat @ 2002-07-19 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I've only got 256 meg RAM in my desktop, and it's thrashing like crazy once X
and mozilla begin leaking (1-2 meg/second each way).  There's a problem,
though.  While it's thrashing, there's between 100 and 120 meg of ram used as
cache, while swapping.  Am I missing a tune-point?  Or is there another reason
that 40% of my ram is locked as disk cache?

Also, if I swapoff right now (Obviously using less RAM in real+swap) I'll
OOM any application that's got pages in swap.

Could just be /proc/meminfo is way wrong, but I have no idea.  I do know it's
way more swap-prone then late 2.4 kernels are.

CC: me, please.  I read via the archives.

--Dan

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-07-19 20:16 UTC | newest]