* Re: 2.4.19 ATAPI cdrom I/O errors when reading CD-R
@ 2002-08-16  7:48 Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2002-08-16  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello.

> I'm getting errors with kernel 2.4.19 when reading a data CD-R burnt
> under Windows (using Adaptec DirectCD). Kernel 2.2.20 reads the same
> CD with no problems, as does Windows XP.

Could you please try to read the same CD-R with kernel 2.4.18? If you
still can't read the CD, try with kernel 2.4.17, and so on back to
2.2.20, so we have a chance to find the change causing the problem. (Be
careful to skip problematic kernels, 2.4.15 and 2.4.11 come to mind.)

(Note also that a dicotomic search may be more efficient. I let you
decide.)

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: 2.4.19 ATAPI cdrom I/O errors when reading CD-R
@ 2002-08-16 12:13 ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2002-08-16 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Delvare; +Cc: ben, linux-kernel

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Jean Delvare wrote:

> Could you please try to read the same CD-R with kernel 2.4.18? If you
> still can't read the CD, try with kernel 2.4.17, and so on back to
> 2.2.20, so we have a chance to find the change causing the problem. (Be
> careful to skip problematic kernels, 2.4.15 and 2.4.11 come to mind.)

This is a joke, isn't it?

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of
time explaining its a free country because its a police state.

* Re: 2.4.19 ATAPI cdrom I/O errors when reading CD-R
@ 2002-08-16 17:15   ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2002-08-16 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: ben, linux-kernel

> > Could you please try to read the same CD-R with kernel 2.4.18? If
> > you still can't read the CD, try with kernel 2.4.17, and so on back
> > to 2.2.20, so we have a chance to find the change causing the
> > problem. (Be careful to skip problematic kernels, 2.4.15 and 2.4.11
> > come to mind.)
>
> This is a joke, isn't it?

Hm no, wasn't. I couldn't see another solution. Seems a bit hard to
reproduce on another system, since it must be related to the specific
hardware (drive, writer and CD-R) used.

What would you suggest?

--
Jean "Khali" Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

* Re: 2.4.19 ATAPI cdrom I/O errors when reading CD-R
@ 2002-08-16 17:35     ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2002-08-16 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Delvare; +Cc: ben, linux-kernel

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Jean Delvare wrote:

> > > Could you please try to read the same CD-R with kernel 2.4.18? If
> > > you still can't read the CD, try with kernel 2.4.17, and so on back
> > > to 2.2.20, so we have a chance to find the change causing the
> > > problem. (Be careful to skip problematic kernels, 2.4.15 and 2.4.11
> > > come to mind.)
> >
> > This is a joke, isn't it?
>
> Hm no, wasn't. I couldn't see another solution. Seems a bit hard to
> reproduce on another system, since it must be related to the specific
> hardware (drive, writer and CD-R) used.

The way you suggested to check for the first kernel version that was
broken works if you want to find the exact version when something breaks
e.g. between -pre3 and -pre6. Between two major releases of Linux there
are
1. too many releases and
2. the development kernels might be broken in _many_ different ways which
   would make it hard to find the version where the current breakage
   occured first; and not to forget
3. it costs much time to compile try let's say 40 different kernels (not
   to mention that each of them has its' unique bugs)

> What would you suggest?

Someone with a better knowledge of ATAPI might be able to understand what
the error messages say and to either understand the problem or to tell how
to trace it down.

cu
Adrian

--

@ 2002-08-17 15:45 Benjamin Geer
From: Benjamin Geer @ 2002-08-17 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Adrian Bunk, Jean Delvare

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> 3. it costs much time to compile try let's say 40 different kernels

I actually don't mind compiling and trying lots of different kernels.
It's a fast machine; I could set it up to compile a lot of kernels
overnight, and in the morning it would just take a few minutes per kernel
to install, reboot, and see if the problem is still there.

> Someone with a better knowledge of ATAPI might be able to understand
> what the error messages say and to either understand the problem or to
> tell how to trace it down.

That would be really helpful.  This problem seems to occur for me with
all CD-Rs burnt under Windows using Adaptec DirectCD.

I would also be happy to apply kernel patches and retest.  Is there
anyone familiar with the ATAPI code in the kernel who could provide some
guidance?

Ben

* 2.4.19 ATAPI cdrom I/O errors when reading CD-R
@ 2002-08-15 22:17 Benjamin Geer
From: Benjamin Geer @ 2002-08-15 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm getting errors with kernel 2.4.19 when reading a data CD-R burnt
under Windows (using Adaptec DirectCD).  Kernel 2.2.20 reads the same CD
with no problems, as does Windows XP.

With kernel 2.4.19, the CD mounts, and ls works, but when I try to copy a
file from it, the copy is incomplete, and I get a lot of errors like this:

hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 999504

I've tried turning off DMA for the drive (hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc), but this
has no effect.

I've had no problems reading CD-ROMs (including copies of CD-ROMs on CD-R
media) under kernel 2.4.19.

Here's the drive information as reported by the kernel when it boots:

hdc: HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-4240N, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)

The drive is in a Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop.

Benjamin