* Rio Riot 20Gb HDD USB MP3 Player
@ 2002-09-05 15:13 Martyn Ranyard
From: Martyn Ranyard @ 2002-09-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

   This is my first posting to this list, and I am not subscribed (so
please cc me in on any replies to this thread -thanks), however I do follow
the kernel traffic weekly mail.

   I have recently acquired a Rio Riot 20Gb HDD USB MP3 Player, and I have
had no luck finding a device driver so far, but I am willing to help with
testing and possibly a bit of development (I am more accustomed to writing
in Borland/FreePascal than c however).  Does anyone know of a driver
project, or shall I start one off?  Is this better done in user-space?

   I apologise in advance if I have taken this to an inappropriate forum,
or broken any of the guidelines for this list, however I did read section 3
of the FAQ first.

Thanks in advance,

-
Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

jabber - joran@amessage.de
icq    - 122500800
irc    - Joran on oftc
msn    - ranyardm@hotmail.com
e      - ranyardm@lineone.net

* Re: Rio Riot 20Gb HDD USB MP3 Player
@ 2002-09-05 16:23 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2002-09-05 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Ranyard; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 04:13:28PM +0100, Martyn Ranyard wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   This is my first posting to this list, and I am not subscribed (so
> please cc me in on any replies to this thread -thanks), however I do follow
> the kernel traffic weekly mail.
>
>   I have recently acquired a Rio Riot 20Gb HDD USB MP3 Player, and I have
> had no luck finding a device driver so far, but I am willing to help with
> testing and possibly a bit of development (I am more accustomed to writing
> in Borland/FreePascal than c however).  Does anyone know of a driver
> project, or shall I start one off?  Is this better done in user-space?

Did you look at the list of supported Linux USB devices linked off of
www.linux-usb.org?  And the linux-usb-devel mailing list is probably the
better place for this kind of discussion.

If your device looks like a USB Mass storage device, then a kernel
driver modification might be needed.  Otherwise you are probably better
off using usbfs/libusb to talk to the device from userspace, which is
what the other USB Rio devices do.

Good luck,

greg k-h