* Re: 2.5.34 on Sony PictureBook fails to boot
@ 2002-09-12 14:39 Adam J. Richter
From: Adam J. Richter @ 2002-09-12 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ookhoi; +Cc: linux-kernel

>From: Ookhoi <ookhoi@humilis.net>

>> 	Attempting to boot 2.5.34 compiled with SMP on a Sony
>> PictureBook results in the computer being reset before the kernel
>> activates the console.

>Which picturebook? (intel or crusoe cpu?)

	PCG-C1VN (Transmeta).  Sorry for not specifying that originally.

>And why smp? Just curious.

	To have on kernel for many systems and for preempt.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  Milpitas, California 95035
+1 408 309-6081         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
                         "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

* Re: 2.5.34 on Sony PictureBook fails to boot
@ 2002-09-12 11:54 ` Ookhoi
From: Ookhoi @ 2002-09-12 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam J. Richter; +Cc: linux-kernel

Adam J. Richter wrote (ao):
> 	Attempting to boot 2.5.34 compiled with SMP on a Sony
> PictureBook results in the computer being reset before the kernel
> activates the console.

Which picturebook? (intel or crusoe cpu?)  And why smp? Just curious.

* 2.5.34 on Sony PictureBook fails to boot
@ 2002-09-11 17:22 Adam J. Richter
From: Adam J. Richter @ 2002-09-11 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

	Attempting to boot 2.5.34 compiled with SMP on a Sony
PictureBook results in the computer being reset before the kernel
activates the console.  The same kernel runs fine on a desktop PC.
This seems to occur regardless of whether or not enable
CONFIG_X86_NUMA{,Q} and CONFIG_MULTIQUAD.  My efforts to track down
the problem have been with these options off.  CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM is
not set.

	By adding an infinite loop at various points in the initialization
process, I have determined that the reset occurs in this call chain:

init/main.c			start_kernel
arch/i386/kernel/setup.c	setup_arch
arch/i386/mm/init.c		paging_init
arch/i386/mm/init.c		zone_sizes_init
mm/page_alloc.c			free_area_init
mm/page_alloc.c			free_area_init_core
mm/bootmem.c			alloc_bootmem_node
mm/bootmem.c			__alloc_bootmem_core

	2.5.31 booted just fine on this computer, and I see that there
are some potentially related changes in .34, but I have not yet
verified that .32 and .33 work on this machine.

	I expect to investigate this problem further tonight if nobody
beats me to it.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  Milpitas, California 95035
+1 408 309-6081         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
                         "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."
vi