* USB Mass Storage Hangs
@ 2002-09-27  5:38 Stephen Marz
From: Stephen Marz @ 2002-09-27  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This message regards the USB mass storage driver for kernel version
2.4.18-10:

On my Dell Inspiron 7500 I have an adaptec USB 2.0 cardbus
adapter.  I plugged in a 120GB hard drive and the mass
storage driver in linux detects it and runs it fine.  The
problem comes in when I try to also plug in my CD-RW into
the cardbus adapter (it has two USB 2.0 ports).  The mass
storage driver will detect and gather information about
the drive, however it doesn't take more than two or
three minutes before the entire system hangs.  The kernel
immediately drops all knowledge of any USB device on
my system.

Anybody else notice this problem?

Thanks,

Stephen Marz

* Re: USB Mass Storage Hangs
@ 2002-09-28 16:40 David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2002-09-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommi Kyntola; +Cc: linux-kernel

 > > And are both of these devices USB 2.0 devices?  If so, you might want to
 > > try the 2.4.20-pre kernels, it has much better USB 2.0 support than the
 > > kernel you are using.
 >
 > I can still panic even the 2.4.20-pre8, by ...

Actually, even pre8 doesn't have the updates that would matter
for something like this ... the "better" was mostly not oopsing
if you unplug a hub (it was a hub driver bug).  You'd need some
patches that aren't yet in Marcelo's tree, but which HAVE been
pasted here on LKML.  (And people who've tried them have said
the patches have improved things for them.)

Have a look at these posts, which are slightly updated versions of
what's been posted to LKML (patches in the second two):

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=103288096812331&w=2
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=103288089912220&w=2
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=103283868910428&w=2

Alternatively, try this out on 2.5.latest ... those patches give
2.4.20-pre7 (or pre8) the same EHCI code as seen in 2.5.39, but
if you try 2.5.39 you'll benefit from some usb-storage fixes too.

And of course, if you "rmmod ehci-hcd" you'd be running using the
companion controller (likely a NEC using "usb-ohci"), which might
help you figure out whether the EHCI driver is even a factor in
this case.

 > Reason why I havent been moaning about this since last fall, when I first
 > discovered this and reported, is ...

Last fall, the EHCI driver was only available to bleeding-edge hackers
who were willing to work from CVS.  To whom did you report this?  I
can confirm that any problem report from last fall wasn't made to the
right people ... I surely didn't see any such report!  :)

- Dave