* Re: 2.5 Kernel Problem Reports as of 27 Sep
@ 2002-09-30  0:10 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2002-09-30  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tmolina; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:54:16 -0500 (CDT), Thomas Molina wrote:
>  24. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103277899317468&w=2
>   IDE problems on prePCI                 open               23 Sep 2002
>
>This was reported by Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se>, but never
>responded to, and never followed up.  Should this be kept open?

The hang in INIT with 2.5.38 is gone with 2.5.39, but the instant
reboot when I pass the "ide0=qd65xx" kernel option is still there.

/Mikael

* Re: 2.5 Kernel Problem Reports as of 27 Sep
@ 2002-09-30 16:29 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-09-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Pettersson; +Cc: tmolina, linux-kernel

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 01:10, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:54:16 -0500 (CDT), Thomas Molina wrote:
> >  24. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103277899317468&w=2
> >   IDE problems on prePCI                 open               23 Sep 2002
> >
> >This was reported by Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se>, but never
> >responded to, and never followed up.  Should this be kept open?
>
> The hang in INIT with 2.5.38 is gone with 2.5.39, but the instant
> reboot when I pass the "ide0=qd65xx" kernel option is still there.

This seems to be working ok on the 2.4.20pre8-ac IDE branch.

* Re: 2.5 Kernel Problem Reports as of 27 Sep
@ 2002-09-30 18:29   ` Thomas Molina
From: Thomas Molina @ 2002-09-30 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Mikael Pettersson, linux-kernel

On 30 Sep 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 01:10, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:54:16 -0500 (CDT), Thomas Molina wrote:
> > >  24. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103277899317468&w=2
> > >   IDE problems on prePCI                 open               23 Sep 2002
> > >
> > >This was reported by Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se>, but never
> > >responded to, and never followed up.  Should this be kept open?
> >
> > The hang in INIT with 2.5.38 is gone with 2.5.39, but the instant
> > reboot when I pass the "ide0=qd65xx" kernel option is still there.
>
> This seems to be working ok on the 2.4.20pre8-ac IDE branch.

The concern in the original message was specifically with 2.5 stuff, not
2.4.  Has anyone looked at his patch for pci-less systems?

* Re: 2.5 Kernel Problem Reports as of 27 Sep
@ 2002-09-28  1:46 ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2002-09-28  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Molina
  Cc: linux-kernel, Lukasz Trabinski, Marc-Christian Petersen,
	Jordan Breeding, Matthew Wilcox, Robert Love, Mikael Pettersson,
	Andrew Morton

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 07:54:16PM -0500, Thomas Molina wrote:
>   17. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103237662509801&w=2
>    oops in lock_get_status                open               18 Sep 2002
>
>   18. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103244657605155&w=2
>                                           additional reports 20 Sep 2002
>
> Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> requested debugging data and was working
> on a fix.  What is the status of this?

I've been able to reproduce it (with ntop).  I think I know which change
broke it.  What I haven't been able to do is write a testcase which
reliably provokes it.  Help appreciated.

* Re: 2.5 Kernel Problem Reports as of 27 Sep
@ 2002-09-28  1:17 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2002-09-28  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Molina
  Cc: linux-kernel, Lukasz Trabinski, Marc-Christian Petersen,

Thomas Molina wrote:

> This report can be accessed at
> http://members.cox.net/tmolina/kernprobs/020927-status.html
>
> The latest update can always be accessed at
> http://members.cox.net/tmolina/kernprobs/status.html
>
> I've changed the format somewhat for posting to lkml based on feedback and
> included comments and references.  I'm also cc'ing those mentioned
> requesting feedback.  Please let me know if this works.
>
>   Problem Title                          Status             Discussion
>
>    1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103166646702935&w=2
>    BUG at kernel/sched.c                  closed             15 Sep 2002
>
>    2. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103184045102066&w=2
>                                           closed             13 Sep 2002
>
>    3. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103220232808356&w=2
>                                           closed             18 Sep 2002
>    4. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103170969316930&w=2
>    lockups under X                        open               21 Sep 2002

That's the tasklist_lock thing.  Should be fixed now.

>    5. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103237870212293&w=2
>                                           additional reports 18 Sep 2002
>    6. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103260318814826&w=2
>    2.5.37 won't run X                     closed             23 Sep 2002
>    7. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103170969316930&w=2
>    mouse locks up X                       open               11 Sep 2002

Duplicate of 4.

>    8. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103274064128049&w=2
>                                           additional reports 23 Sep 2002

tasklist_lock again, probably.

>    9. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103170259412602&w=2
>    KVM/Mouse problem                      open               20 Sep 2002
>
>   10. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103299680529254&w=2
>    Mouse/keyboard problems                open               27 Sep 2002
>
> Are any of the above problems related?  At least the last one appears to
> be related to the recent input layer changes.

Yes, mice and keyboards are flakey things; it'll take some time to
get everything working right I expect.  Mine are doing weird and
faintly irritating things wrt key rollover.

>   11. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103250741229189&w=2
>    AIC7XXX boot failure                   open               20 Sep 2002
>
> This was reported by Lukasz Trabinski <lukasz@wsisiz.edu.pl>, but never
> responded to, and was never followed up. Should this be kept open?
>   12. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103238248416900&w=2
>    Dead loop on virtual device lo         open               18 Sep 2002
>
> This was reported by Marc-Christian Petersen <m.c.p@wolk-project.de>, but
> never responded to, and was never followed up.  Should this be kept open?
>
>   13. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103241914811779&w=2
>    nmi_watchdog problem                   open               19 Sep 2002
>
> This was reported by Jordan Breeding <jordan.breeding@attbi.com>, but
> never responded to, and was never followed up.  Should this be kept open?

Ingo submitted a patch since then which fixed nmi_watchdog (although
I haven't tested it - I switched to nmi_watchdog=2 when it broke ;))

So "probably fixed"

>   27. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103278825525479&w=2
>    Oops in 2.5.38-mm2                     open               23 Sep 2002
>
> Andrew Morton <akpm@digeo.com> says this is not an oops, it's a warning.
> Should this be kept open?
>   28. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103282505101823&w=2
>    oops in vsnprintf (2.5-bk)             open               23 Sep 2002
>
>   29. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103055061028368&w=2
>    loadlin boot failure                   open               27 Sep 2002
>
>   30. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103282695403237&w=2
>    semaphore.c calls sleeping function    open               23 Sep 2002

This one's odd, and I think Bill makes them up to taunt me.

@ 2002-09-28  0:54 Thomas Molina
From: Thomas Molina @ 2002-09-28  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Lukasz Trabinski, Marc-Christian Petersen, Jordan Breeding,
[...]

  14. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103236777430692&w=2
   JFS software suspend problem           possible fix in bk 18 Sep 2002

  15. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103255645120076&w=2
   preempt related lockup                 closed             21 Sep 2002
  16. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103238121815285&w=2
   DRM/XFree issue                        open               18 Sep 2002

This was reported by Marc-Christian Petersen <m.c.p@wolk-project.de>, but
never responded to, and was never followed up.  Should this be kept open?
  17. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103237662509801&w=2
   oops in lock_get_status                open               18 Sep 2002

  18. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103244657605155&w=2
                                          additional reports 20 Sep 2002

Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> requested debugging data and was working
on a fix.  What is the status of this?
  19. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103270005902896&w=2
   scheduling while atomic oops           open               22 Sep 2002

  20. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103298586617966&w=2
                                          another report     25 Sep 2002

Robert Love <rml@tech9.net> says this is known, won't hurt anything, but
needs fixed.  Should this be kept open?
  21. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103264945210526&w=2
   broken floppy driver                   open               23 Sep 2002

I was able to duplicate the broken behaviour prior to 2.5.39 but haven't
been able to test the latest bk revision.  I will test it further this
weekend.
  22. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103269067030835&w=2
   IDE oopses on vmware                   closed             23 Sep 2002

  23. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103267794124788&w=2
   ide-scsi problem                       open               22 Sep 2002
  24. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103277899317468&w=2
   IDE problems on prePCI                 open               23 Sep 2002

This was reported by Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se>, but never
responded to, and never followed up.  Should this be kept open?
  25. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103242818519195&w=2
   ide double init                        open               19 Sep 2002

Several developers seem to have an idea where the breakage may be, but an
update hasn't been posted.  What is the status?
  26. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103281667726673&w=2
   modular IDE broken                     open               24 Sep 2002

Alan Cox rightly points out that fixing modular IDE should wait until IDE
support has been cleaned up and works reliably.  I haven't been able to
break IDE since the "new" IDE layer was implemented.  I'm inclined to keep
this around unless there is an objection.