* newbie
@ 2002-10-04 22:44 Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-10-04 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I have a basic question. When some function calls
panic:
1)Can I store some registers into nonvolatile
memory. I will call this function from the very
beginning of my panic function.

2) What exactly happens when a function calls panic
.i.e. a)what all things are inaccessible, in my
case I will be embedding my code at the very beginning
of panic function, so what things will be inaccessible
to my code b) what is control flow after a function
calls panic.

Any help will really useful. Kindly mail to
venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com, as I did't subscribe.

Regards
Venkat.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-08-20  7:32 ` Matti Aarnio
From: Matti Aarnio @ 2002-08-20  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkat Raghu; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-newbie

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:30:18PM -0700, Venkat Raghu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a bash script which modifies some environment
> variables and does some other housekeeping things.
> But problem is that when script finishes running,
> new values of environment variables are no longer
> visible in parent shell. So what should I do so that
> these new values are visible in parent. I don't want
> to run as ". file.sh". I have to run it as "file.sh"
> only.

  The things you do in child process environments are
  inheritable only to their childs, never to parent.
  If they were, there would be massive security problems,
  just to mention one consequence...

  If you want your current shell to get the new values,
  you have to do:  . file.sh

> Kindly mail me at venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com
>
> Regards
> Venkat.

* newbie
@ 2002-08-19 22:30 Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-08-19 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-newbie, linuxprog, linux-support, redhat-list

Hi,

I have a bash script which modifies some environment
variables and does some other housekeeping things.
But problem is that when script finishes running,
new values of environment variables are no longer
visible in parent shell. So what should I do so that
these new values are visible in parent. I don't want
to run as ". file.sh". I have to run it as "file.sh"
only.

Kindly mail me at venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com

Regards
Venkat.

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

* newbie
@ 2002-08-17  1:31 Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-08-17  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi

1) I want to know about termcap formats. For example
the control sequence for del is "^[[3~" . So how
to interpret it.

2) How will kernel decide keycodes, is it just based
on termcap file. But this file does't contain
exhaustive list of keycodes.

Please mail me at venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com, I did't
subscribe to this list.

Regards
Venkat.

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

* Re: Newbie
@ 2000-11-15 17:10 richardj_moore
From: richardj_moore @ 2000-11-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aamir Dogar; +Cc: linux-kernel

Not even Intel can spell kernal [sic] - see 486 Programmer's reference -
description of protection mechanism.

BTW one of the enhancements to the Pentium was an improvement in the
spelling of kernel. :-)

Richard Moore -  RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (PISC).

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd,  MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK

-

* Re: Newbie
@ 2000-11-15 16:43   ` John Levon
From: John Levon @ 2000-11-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tigran Aivazian; +Cc: Aamir Dogar, linux-kernel

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> b) read the resources mentioned in the
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-docs.txt
>
> Regards,
> Tigran

Even better, just follow links from http://www.kernelnewbies.org/
which is a superset of this file (and links to the online version of it).

john

-

* Re: Newbie
@ 2000-11-15 16:09 ` Tigran Aivazian
From: Tigran Aivazian @ 2000-11-15 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aamir Dogar; +Cc: linux-kernel

                  ~

                         ~

> could someone please let me know about this and about other useful info
> about kernal programming that can help me to start kernal programming.
            ~                                            ~

Hi Aamir,

There are two things you need to do, in this order:

a) learn how to spell the word "kernel" (absolutely essential :)

@ 2000-11-14  4:01 Aamir Dogar
From: Aamir Dogar @ 2000-11-14  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi There,

i am new to kernal development.
i just need a good Kernal Programming-HowTo.
could someone please let me know about this and about other useful info
about kernal programming that can help me to start kernal programming.

thanks in advance
Aamir

-