* Compiling old Linux
@ 2002-10-06 13:22 Jarek Pelczar
From: Jarek Pelczar @ 2002-10-06 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vger

Hi !

Does anybody know how to compile
linux 0.12. It crashes in fork when I use GCC 3.1.

Thanks
Jarek Pelczar

* Re: Compiling old Linux
@ 2002-10-06 13:35 ` jbradford
From: jbradford @ 2002-10-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarek Pelczar; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Hi !
>
> Does anybody know how to compile
> linux 0.12. It crashes in fork when I use GCC 3.1.

There is no way it will compile with a modern GCC, you need to use a compiler that was around at the time, (I have no idea what that would be!).

The reason is that both the kernel and GCC have bugs in them, and the kernel is generally coded to work around bugs in the current versions of GCC - so you can't use any compiler to compile any kernel.

John.