* 2.5.43 scsi _eh_ buslogic
@ 2002-10-18 19:12 andy barlak
From: andy barlak @ 2002-10-18 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Buslogic is still not functional in 2.5.43.
Info below is from successive boots on the same system.
Two scsi HDs and one scsi cdrom.
Removing the cdrom changes nothing.

Kernel 2.4.19 has run buslogic scsi just fine:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
PCI: Assigned IRQ 10 for device 00:08.0
scsi: ***** BusLogic SCSI Driver Version 2.1.15 of 17 August 1998 *****
scsi: Copyright 1995-1998 by Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz@dandelion.com>
scsi0: Configuring BusLogic Model BT-958 PCI Wide Ultra SCSI Host Adapter
scsi0:   Firmware Version: 5.06J, I/O Address: 0xE800, IRQ Channel: 10/Level
scsi0:   PCI Bus: 0, Device: 8, Address: 0xED001000, Host Adapter SCSI ID: 7
scsi0:   Parity Checking: Disabled, Extended Translation: Disabled
scsi0:   Synchronous Negotiation: FFFFSFF#FFFFFFFF, Wide Negotiation: YYYYNYY#YY
YYYYYY
scsi0:   Disconnect/Reconnect: Enabled, Tagged Queuing: Enabled
scsi0:   Scatter/Gather Limit: 128 of 8192 segments, Mailboxes: 211
scsi0:   Driver Queue Depth: 211, Host Adapter Queue Depth: 192
scsi0:   Tagged Queue Depth: Automatic, Untagged Queue Depth: 3
scsi0:   Error Recovery Strategy: Default, SCSI Bus Reset: Disabled
scsi0:   SCSI Bus Termination: High Enabled, SCAM: Disabled
scsi0: *** BusLogic BT-958 Initialized Successfully ***
scsi0 : BusLogic BT-958
  Vendor: CONNER    Model: CFP2107E  2.14GB  Rev: 1423
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: SX423451W         Rev: 9E18
  Vendor: TOSHIBA   Model: CD-ROM XM-5701TA  Rev: 0167
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi0: Target 0: Queue Depth 28, Wide Synchronous at 20.0 MB/sec, offset 15
scsi0: Target 1: Queue Depth 28, Wide Synchronous at 20.0 MB/sec, offset 15
scsi0: Target 2: Queue Depth 3, Synchronous at 10.0 MB/sec, offset 8
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
 sda: sda1 sda2
SCSI device sdb: 45322644 512-byte hdwr sectors (23205 MB)
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3

-----------------------------

Kernel 2.5.43 and earlier produce this dmesg info
(edited  redundant lines):

scsi: ***** BusLogic SCSI Driver Version 2.1.16 of 18 July 2002 *****
[...]
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 2 lun 0
  Vendor:           Model:                   Rev:
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 2 lun 0
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 2 lun 0
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0
  Vendor:           Model:                   Rev:
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
.
.
.
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
  Vendor:           Model:                   Rev:
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
st: Version 20021015, fixed bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, s/g segs 256
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdd at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sde at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdf at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdg at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdh at scsi0, channel 0, id 8, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdi at scsi0, channel 0, id 9, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdj at scsi0, channel 0, id 10, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdk at scsi0, channel 0, id 11, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdl at scsi0, channel 0, id 12, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdm at scsi0, channel 0, id 13, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdn at scsi0, channel 0, id 14, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdo at scsi0, channel 0, id 15, lun 0
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write through
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
sda : sector size 0 reported, assuming 512.
.
.
.

scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
SCSI device sdo: drive cache: write through
scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
 error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
sdo : sector size 0 reported, assuming 512.
SCSI device sdo: 1 512-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...

* Re: 2.5.43 scsi _eh_ buslogic
@ 2002-10-18 22:43 ` Mike Anderson
From: Mike Anderson @ 2002-10-18 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andy barlak; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-scsi

Andy,
	From looking at the driver it looks like the locking had been
update to 2.5, but that the driver error handling has not been updated.
scsi_obsolete.c has not existed in the 2.5 view for a while.

I have cc'd linux-scsi as someone on the list might be able to
give more information on the status of the driver.

So if you where previously getting timeouts / errors on probe in 2.4 the
older error handler might have been clearing things up and now nothing
is being called.

We should remove the older error handling interfaces as they are not
called and possibly print a warning if a driver loads with no error
handling functions set.

The older abort handler BusLogic_AbortCommand should be easy to change
by just adjusting the locking. I do not have one of these adapter, but
could look into the changes.

andy barlak [andyb@island.net] wrote:

> [...]
> scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
>  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
> sda : sector size 0 reported, assuming 512.
> SCSI device sda: 1 512-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)
> .
> .
> .
>
> scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
>  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
> scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
>  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
> SCSI device sdo: drive cache: write through
> scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
>  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
> sdo : sector size 0 reported, assuming 512.
> SCSI device sdo: 1 512-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)

-andmike
--
Michael Anderson
andmike@us.ibm.com

* Re: 2.5.43 scsi _eh_ buslogic
@ 2002-10-19 19:12   ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2002-10-19 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Anderson; +Cc: andy barlak, linux-kernel, linux-scsi

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Mike Anderson wrote:

> Andy,
> 	From looking at the driver it looks like the locking had been
> update to 2.5, but that the driver error handling has not been updated.
> scsi_obsolete.c has not existed in the 2.5 view for a while.
>
> I have cc'd linux-scsi as someone on the list might be able to
> give more information on the status of the driver.
>
> So if you where previously getting timeouts / errors on probe in 2.4 the
> older error handler might have been clearing things up and now nothing
> is being called.
>
> We should remove the older error handling interfaces as they are not
> called and possibly print a warning if a driver loads with no error
> handling functions set.
>
> The older abort handler BusLogic_AbortCommand should be easy to change
> by just adjusting the locking. I do not have one of these adapter, but
> could look into the changes.

I think it's more than Buslogic, see my similar results with NEC. There
was a CD-RW and tape drive on the controller, I unplugged the tape drive,
didn't help. See attached dmsg and ksymoops.

> [...]
> > scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
> >  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
> > sda : sector size 0 reported, assuming 512.
> > SCSI device sda: 1 512-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)
> > .
> > .
> > .
> >
> > scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
> >  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
> > scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
> >  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
> > SCSI device sdo: drive cache: write through
> > scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
> >  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
> > sdo : sector size 0 reported, assuming 512.
> > SCSI device sdo: 1 512-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)

bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

[-- Attachment #2: full dmesg --]
[-- Type: TEXT/PLAIN, Size: 14809 bytes --]

Linux version 2.5.43 (root@bilbo.tmr.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-112)) #1 SMP Fri Oct 18 17:22:39 EDT 2002
Video mode to be used for restore is ffff
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009fc00 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000000009fc00 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 0000000010000000 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000fec00000 - 00000000fec01000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000fee00000 - 00000000fee01000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000ffff0000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
256MB LOWMEM available.
found SMP MP-table at 000f5b30
hm, page 000f5000 reserved twice.
hm, page 000f6000 reserved twice.
hm, page 000f1000 reserved twice.
hm, page 000f2000 reserved twice.
On node 0 totalpages: 65536
  DMA zone: 4096 pages, LIFO batch:1
  Normal zone: 61440 pages, LIFO batch:15
  HighMem zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:1
Intel MultiProcessor Specification v1.1
    Virtual Wire compatibility mode.
OEM ID: OEM00000 Product ID: PROD00000000 APIC at: 0xFEE00000
Processor #0 6:6 APIC version 17
Processor #1 6:6 APIC version 17
I/O APIC #2 Version 17 at 0xFEC00000.
Enabling APIC mode:  Flat.  Using 1 I/O APICs
Processors: 2
Building zonelist for node : 0
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=2-5-43 ro root=305 BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.5.43 hdc=ide-scsi
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
Initializing CPU#0
Detected 498.068 MHz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 985.08 BogoMIPS
Memory: 255104k/262144k available (1832k kernel code, 6276k reserved, 1294k data, 132k init, 0k highmem)
Security Scaffold v1.0.0 initialized
Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
CPU: Before vendor init, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000, vendor = 0
CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 128K
CPU: After vendor init, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
Intel machine check architecture supported.
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
CPU:     After generic, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU:             Common caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
CPU: Before vendor init, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000, vendor = 0
CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 128K
CPU: After vendor init, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
CPU:     After generic, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU:             Common caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU0: Intel Celeron (Mendocino) stepping 05
per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 365.46 usecs.
task migration cache decay timeout: 1 msecs.
enabled ExtINT on CPU#0
ESR value before enabling vector: 00000000
ESR value after enabling vector: 00000000
Booting processor 1/1 eip 2000
Initializing CPU#1
masked ExtINT on CPU#1
ESR value before enabling vector: 00000000
ESR value after enabling vector: 00000000
Calibrating delay loop... 993.28 BogoMIPS
CPU: Before vendor init, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000, vendor = 0
CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 128K
CPU: After vendor init, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#1.
CPU:     After generic, caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU:             Common caps: 0183fbff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU1: Intel Celeron (Mendocino) stepping 05
Total of 2 processors activated (1978.36 BogoMIPS).
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
Setting 2 in the phys_id_present_map
...changing IO-APIC physical APIC ID to 2 ... ok.
init IO_APIC IRQs
 IO-APIC (apicid-pin) 2-0, 2-9, 2-10, 2-11, 2-17, 2-20, 2-21, 2-22, 2-23 not connected.
..TIMER: vector=0x31 pin1=2 pin2=0
number of MP IRQ sources: 16.
number of IO-APIC #2 registers: 24.
testing the IO APIC.......................

IO APIC #2......
.... register #00: 02000000
.......    : physical APIC id: 02
.... register #01: 00170011
.......     : max redirection entries: 0017
.......     : PRQ implemented: 0
.......     : IO APIC version: 0011
.... register #02: 00000000
.......     : arbitration: 00
.... IRQ redirection table:
 NR Log Phy Mask Trig IRR Pol Stat Dest Deli Vect:
 00 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
 01 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    39
 02 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    31
 03 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    41
 04 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    49
 05 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    51
 06 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    59
 07 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    61
 08 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    69
 09 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
 0a 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
 0b 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
 0c 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    71
 0d 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    79
 0e 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    81
 0f 001 01  0    0    0   0   0    1    1    89
 10 001 01  1    1    0   1   0    1    1    91
 11 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
 12 001 01  1    1    0   1   0    1    1    99
 13 001 01  1    1    0   1   0    1    1    A1
 14 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
 15 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
 16 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
 17 000 00  1    0    0   0   0    0    0    00
IRQ to pin mappings:
IRQ0 -> 0:2
IRQ1 -> 0:1
IRQ3 -> 0:3
IRQ4 -> 0:4
IRQ5 -> 0:5
IRQ6 -> 0:6
IRQ7 -> 0:7
IRQ8 -> 0:8
IRQ9 -> 0:19
IRQ10 -> 0:16
IRQ11 -> 0:18
IRQ12 -> 0:12
IRQ13 -> 0:13
IRQ14 -> 0:14
IRQ15 -> 0:15
.................................... done.
Using local APIC timer interrupts.
calibrating APIC timer ...
..... CPU clock speed is 497.0953 MHz.
..... host bus clock speed is 82.0992 MHz.
checking TSC synchronization across 2 CPUs: passed.
Starting migration thread for cpu 0
Bringing up 1
CPU 1 IS NOW UP!
Starting migration thread for cpu 1
CPUS done 4294967295
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
Initializing RT netlink socket
mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb420, last bus=1
PCI: Using configuration type 1
adding '' to cpu class interfaces
adding '' to cpu class interfaces
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hub
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX [8086/7110] at 00:07.0
slab: reap timer started for cpu 0
slab: reap timer started for cpu 1
Starting kswapd
BIO: pool of 256 setup, 14Kb (56 bytes/bio)
biovec pool[0]:   1 bvecs: 256 entries (12 bytes)
biovec pool[1]:   4 bvecs: 256 entries (48 bytes)
biovec pool[2]:  16 bvecs: 256 entries (192 bytes)
biovec pool[3]:  64 bvecs: 256 entries (768 bytes)
biovec pool[4]: 128 bvecs: 256 entries (1536 bytes)
biovec pool[5]: 256 bvecs: 256 entries (3072 bytes)
aio_setup: sizeof(struct page) = 40
Journalled Block Device driver loaded
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de).
Capability LSM initialized
Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers.
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ IRQ sharing enabled
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Generic RTC Driver v1.06
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 204M
agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
block request queues:
 128 requests per read queue
 128 requests per write queue
 8 requests per batch
 enter congestion at 31
 exit congestion at 33
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:07.1
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: WDC AC26400R, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hdc: SONY CD-RW CRX140E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
HPT366: onboard version of chipset, pin1=1 pin2=2
HPT366: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:13.0
PCI: Enabling device 00:13.0 (0005 -> 0007)
HPT366: chipset revision 1
HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xec00-0xec07, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hde: WDC WD205BA, ATA DISK drive
ide2 at 0xd800-0xd807,0xdc02 on irq 11
hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: host protected area => 1
hda: 12594960 sectors (6449 MB) w/512KiB Cache, CHS=784/255/63, UDMA(33)
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 >
hde: host protected area => 1
hde: 40088160 sectors (20525 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=39770/16/63, UDMA(66)
 hde: hde1
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0
sym53c8xx: not initializing, device not supported
request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: not ready
Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
Intel PCIC probe:
  Vadem VG-468 ISA-to-PCMCIA at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00, 2 sockets
    host opts [0]: none
    host opts [1]: none
    ISA irqs (scanned) = 3,4,5,7 polling interval = 1000 ms
Databook TCIC-2 PCMCIA probe: not found.
drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.0
drivers/usb/core/hcd-pci.c: uhci-hcd @ 00:07.2, Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
drivers/usb/core/hcd-pci.c: irq 9, io base 0000d000
drivers/usb/core/hcd.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
drivers/usb/core/hub.c: USB hub found at 0
drivers/usb/core/hub.c: 2 ports detected
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
register interface 'mouse' with class 'input
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
logibm.c: Didn't find Logitech busmouse at 0x23c
input: PC Speaker
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
es1371: version v0.30 time 17:20:17 Oct 18 2002
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 16Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
Adding 409648k swap on /dev/hda2.  Priority:-1 extents:1
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.16, 02 Dec 2001 on ide0(3,5), internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.16, 02 Dec 2001 on ide0(3,1), internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.16, 02 Dec 2001 on ide0(3,3), internal journal
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW  CRX140E    Rev: 1.0n
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: 14.A
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0
ncr53c8xx: 53c825 detected
ncr53c825-0: rev 0x2 on pci bus 0 device 9 function 0 irq 9
ncr53c825-0: ID 7, Fast-10, Parity Checking
scsi1 : ncr53c8xx-3.4.3b-20010512
ncr53c825-0-<2,*>: target did not report SYNC.
  Vendor: PHILIPS   Model: CDD2600           Rev: 1.07
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=00
sda : sense not available.
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
------------[ cut here ]------------
kernel BUG at drivers/base/core.c:269!
invalid operand: 0000
ncr53c8xx ide-scsi
CPU:    0
EIP:    0060:[<c01e2d90>]    Not tainted
EFLAGS: 00010202
EIP is at put_device+0x50/0x80
eax: 00000001   ebx: cf53b964   ecx: c03ee5d0   edx: cf53b9fc
esi: cf948c98   edi: cf948c00   ebp: d08bf2e0   esp: cf60ff14
ds: 0068   es: 0068   ss: 0068
Process modprobe (pid: 332, threadinfo=cf60e000 task=cf7c7980)
Stack: 00000000 cf53b800 c022b8c9 cf53b964 fffffff4 cfde6000 00000286 c014febe
       cfde6009 00000008 ff883e60 fffffffe c03bda00 00000000 c0138b4f c0138b66
       c12562a0 c12562a0 000001ff 00000000 c03be400 00000000 c0138ea2 c03bda00
Call Trace:
 [<c022b8c9>] scsi_unregister_host+0x259/0x540
 [<c014febe>] getname+0x5e/0xa0
 [<c0138b4f>] buffered_rmqueue+0x12f/0x150
 [<c0138b66>] buffered_rmqueue+0x146/0x150
 [<c0138ea2>] __alloc_pages+0xb2/0x290
 [<d08b988a>] exit_this_scsi_driver+0xa/0xc [ncr53c8xx]
 [<d08bf2e0>] driver_template+0x0/0x80 [ncr53c8xx]
 [<c011c07e>] free_module+0x1e/0xf0
 [<c011b454>] sys_delete_module+0x154/0x2e0
 [<c010736f>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

Code: 0f 0b 0d 01 a3 90 2e c0 8b 83 d0 00 00 00 85 c0 74 04 53 ff
 <6>parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
parport0: irq 7 detected
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: Card 'NE2000 PLUG & PLAY ETHERNET CARD'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Last modified Nov 1, 2000 by Paul Gortmaker
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300: 00 00 e8 46 6d a1
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 3.
eth0: interrupt from stopped card
ne.c: ISAPnP reports Generic PNP at i/o 0x220, irq 5.
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x220: 00 00 e8 46 6d a1
eth1: NE2000 found at 0x220, using IRQ 5.
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x290-0x297 0x378-0x37f 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: excluding 0xa20-0xa2f

[-- Attachment #3: ksymoops output --]
[-- Type: TEXT/PLAIN, Size: 2655 bytes --]

ksymoops 2.4.4 on i686 2.5.43.  Options used
     -V (default)
     -k /proc/ksyms (default)
     -l /proc/modules (default)
     -o /lib/modules/2.5.43/ (default)
     -m /boot/System.map-2.5.43 (default)

Warning: You did not tell me where to find symbol information.  I will
assume that the log matches the kernel and modules that are running
right now and I'll use the default options above for symbol resolution.
If the current kernel and/or modules do not match the log, you can get
more accurate output by telling me the kernel version and where to find
map, modules, ksyms etc.  ksymoops -h explains the options.

Warning (compare_ksyms_lsmod): module ncr53c8xx is in lsmod but not in ksyms, probably no symbols exported
kernel BUG at drivers/base/core.c:269!
invalid operand: 0000
CPU:    0
EIP:    0060:[<c01e2d90>]    Not tainted
Using defaults from ksymoops -t elf32-i386 -a i386
EFLAGS: 00010202
eax: 00000001   ebx: cf53b964   ecx: c03ee5d0   edx: cf53b9fc
esi: cf948c98   edi: cf948c00   ebp: d08bf2e0   esp: cf60ff14
ds: 0068   es: 0068   ss: 0068
Stack: 00000000 cf53b800 c022b8c9 cf53b964 fffffff4 cfde6000 00000286 c014febe
       cfde6009 00000008 ff883e60 fffffffe c03bda00 00000000 c0138b4f c0138b66
       c12562a0 c12562a0 000001ff 00000000 c03be400 00000000 c0138ea2 c03bda00
 [<c022b8c9>] scsi_unregister_host+0x259/0x540
 [<c014febe>] getname+0x5e/0xa0
 [<c0138b4f>] buffered_rmqueue+0x12f/0x150
 [<c0138b66>] buffered_rmqueue+0x146/0x150
 [<c0138ea2>] __alloc_pages+0xb2/0x290
 [<d08b988a>] exit_this_scsi_driver+0xa/0xc [ncr53c8xx]
 [<d08bf2e0>] driver_template+0x0/0x80 [ncr53c8xx]
 [<c011c07e>] free_module+0x1e/0xf0
 [<c011b454>] sys_delete_module+0x154/0x2e0
 [<c010736f>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
Code: 0f 0b 0d 01 a3 90 2e c0 8b 83 d0 00 00 00 85 c0 74 04 53 ff

>>EIP; c01e2d90 <put_device+50/80>   <=====
Code;  c01e2d90 <put_device+50/80>
00000000 <_EIP>:
Code;  c01e2d90 <put_device+50/80>   <=====
   0:   0f 0b                     ud2a      <=====
Code;  c01e2d92 <put_device+52/80>
   2:   0d 01 a3 90 2e            or     $0x2e90a301,%eax
Code;  c01e2d97 <put_device+57/80>
   7:   c0 8b 83 d0 00 00 00      rorb   $0x0,0xd083(%ebx)
Code;  c01e2d9e <put_device+5e/80>
   e:   85 c0                     test   %eax,%eax
Code;  c01e2da0 <put_device+60/80>
  10:   74 04                     je     16 <_EIP+0x16> c01e2da6 <put_device+66/80>
Code;  c01e2da2 <put_device+62/80>
  12:   53                        push   %ebx
Code;  c01e2da3 <put_device+63/80>
  13:   ff 00                     incl   (%eax)

2 warnings issued.  Results may not be reliable.

* Re: 2.5.43 scsi _eh_ buslogic
@ 2002-10-19 19:59     ` Mike Anderson
From: Mike Anderson @ 2002-10-19 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen; +Cc: andy barlak, linux-kernel, linux-scsi

Bill,
	In 2.5.44. I submitted a patch that changed the way scsi_host* is
	accessed. This patch also removed put_device which is replaced
	by device_unregister. That should fix one problem.

The other issue is that this driver like the BusLogic is using the old
error handler. Did it run on previous 2.5 versions?

If you go to 2.5.44 I believe you will also need the patch posted by
John Levon.

Bill Davidsen [davidsen@tmr.com] wrote:

> > > scsi_eh_offline_sdevs: Device offlined - not ready or command retry failed after
> > >  error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0
> > >   Vendor:           Model:                   Rev:
> > >   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00

I am looking at this right now I believe when we offline a device we are
not setting the result if no action was performed on the command which
would happen if the device has no error handling.

> kernel BUG at drivers/base/core.c:269!
> invalid operand: 0000
> ncr53c8xx ide-scsi
> CPU:    0
> EIP:    0060:[<c01e2d90>]    Not tainted
> EFLAGS: 00010202
> EIP is at put_device+0x50/0x80
> eax: 00000001   ebx: cf53b964   ecx: c03ee5d0   edx: cf53b9fc
> esi: cf948c98   edi: cf948c00   ebp: d08bf2e0   esp: cf60ff14
> ds: 0068   es: 0068   ss: 0068
> Process modprobe (pid: 332, threadinfo=cf60e000 task=cf7c7980)
> Stack: 00000000 cf53b800 c022b8c9 cf53b964 fffffff4 cfde6000 00000286 c014febe
>        cfde6009 00000008 ff883e60 fffffffe c03bda00 00000000 c0138b4f c0138b66
>        c12562a0 c12562a0 000001ff 00000000 c03be400 00000000 c0138ea2 c03bda00
> Call Trace:
>  [<c022b8c9>] scsi_unregister_host+0x259/0x540
>  [<c014febe>] getname+0x5e/0xa0
>  [<c0138b4f>] buffered_rmqueue+0x12f/0x150
>  [<c0138b66>] buffered_rmqueue+0x146/0x150
>  [<c0138ea2>] __alloc_pages+0xb2/0x290
>  [<d08b988a>] exit_this_scsi_driver+0xa/0xc [ncr53c8xx]
>  [<d08bf2e0>] driver_template+0x0/0x80 [ncr53c8xx]
>  [<c011c07e>] free_module+0x1e/0xf0
>  [<c011b454>] sys_delete_module+0x154/0x2e0
>  [<c010736f>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

2.5.44 scsi_unregister_host update to device_unregister should fix this
problem.

-andmike
--
Michael Anderson
andmike@us.ibm.com

* Re: 2.5.43 scsi _eh_ buslogic
@ 2002-10-21 16:23   ` Doug Ledford
From: Doug Ledford @ 2002-10-21 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andy barlak, linux-kernel, linux-scsi

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:43:12PM -0700, Mike Anderson wrote:
> Andy,
> 	From looking at the driver it looks like the locking had been
> update to 2.5, but that the driver error handling has not been updated.
> scsi_obsolete.c has not existed in the 2.5 view for a while.

Actually, I sent a patch to Linus for this driver that I think made it
into 2.5.44.  Andy, could you let me know if 2.5.44 works?  If not, then
I'll see what I can find.  Side note: Mike's right about the error
handling being horked, but that shouldn't really make any difference in
bootup since it shouldn't be needing error recovery.

--
  Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>     919-754-3700 x44233
         Red Hat, Inc.