* Re: [BK-2.5] Update arm implementation of DMA API to include GFP_
@ 2003-01-14 15:41 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2003-01-14 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David S. Miller; +Cc: James.Bottomley, linux-kernel

James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com said:
> Is this really safe?  Maybe ARM needs to use GFP_ATOMIC all the time
> for a specific reason, such as where and how it maps the cpu side
> mappings of the memory?

According to Russell King, yes.

The PA-RISC one should also be correct.  Actually, to be honest, there's a
longstanding issue in the pa-risc code where we can potentially allocate a
page table using GFP_KERNEL in pci_alloc_consistent() when we obtain the
mapping resources.  I can argue that we never go down this path in practice,
but it does make GFP_ATOMIC allocations look unsafe on the platform.

James

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-01-14 15:33 UTC | newest]