* acpi + synaptics trackpad in 2.5
@ 2003-02-03 21:02 Joshua Kwan
From: Joshua Kwan @ 2003-02-03 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Whenever I run a ACPI battery monitor in X, my mouse goes completely
insane - goes around everywhere, and clicks randomly. the second i close
it, everything returns to normal.

Logs show no suspicious output when this happens.
I used wmbattery that Joey Hess edited to work with 2.5 ACPI, I have
posted it a website but I'm not sure whether it's GPL-compliant to post
it there and give the URL in this message without the source diff....
does anyone care at this point?

Regards
Josh

* acpi + keyboard/mouse problems [was Re: acpi + synaptics trackpad in 2.5]
@ 2003-02-04 23:33 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-02-04 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Kwan; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> Whenever I run a ACPI battery monitor in X, my mouse goes completely
> insane - goes around everywhere, and clicks randomly. the second i close
> it, everything returns to normal.

What machine?

When I turn on ACPI on HP omnibook xe3, keyboard/mouse freezes
randomly and I have to press power button to get machine back (power
*unfreezes* the machine).

Anyone  seen something similar?
								Pavel
--
Worst form of spam? Adding advertisment signatures ala sourceforge.net.
What goes next? Inserting advertisment *into* email?

* Re: acpi + keyboard/mouse problems [was Re: acpi + synaptics trackpad in 2.5]
@ 2003-02-05 15:03   ` Joshua Kwan
From: Joshua Kwan @ 2003-02-05 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:33:02AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Whenever I run a ACPI battery monitor in X, my mouse goes completely
> > insane - goes around everywhere, and clicks randomly. the second i close
> > it, everything returns to normal.
>
> What machine?

This is a Dell SmartStep 200N. I have no other working laptops using
ACPI so I can't know for sure how big a problem this is :)

Regards
Josh

* Re: acpi + keyboard/mouse problems [was Re: acpi + synaptics trackpad in 2.5]
@ 2003-02-07 15:57     ` Andrew Rodland
From: Andrew Rodland @ 2003-02-07 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Joshua Kwan wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:33:02AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> > Whenever I run a ACPI battery monitor in X, my mouse goes completely
>> > insane - goes around everywhere, and clicks randomly. the second i
>> > close it, everything returns to normal.
>>
>> What machine?
>
> This is a Dell SmartStep 200N. I have no other working laptops using
> ACPI so I can't know for sure how big a problem this is :)

Alright...
I know that some Dells (although I can't say whether yours is one) do their
ACPI by calling back into Dell SMM calls -- which takes the processor away
from linux for a significant amount of time; enough to cause clock
slippage, and loss of mouse data. And I'm guessing an ACPI battery monitor
polls at a fairly short interval, so, it could be related.

Cheers
--hobbs